C19 vaccines

Many people have asked us whether the Embassy will be providing COVID-19 vaccines to British people in Thailand.

British Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates do not provide medical treatment and the NHS’s healthcare services are not available abroad, so there are no plans to roll out the UK’s NHS COVID-19 vaccination programme to British people living here.

We understand that the Thai government has said that all foreigners in Thailand will be eligible for the Thai vaccine programme when this is rolled out. When information on the vaccine programme is available, we will add this to our travel advice.

You can also find out information about which COVID-19 vaccines are currently approved for use within the UK’s own vaccination programme on www.gov.uk/coronavirus and further information about the international roll out of COVID-19 vaccines on World Health Organization and GAVI websites.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Oxx said:

So, is the Embassy lobbying the Thai government to make sure that tax paying (direct or indirect) British expats are eligible for the vaccine on the same timescale at Thai people?

And is the Embassy lobbying for the Thai government to place a cap on the charge for the vaccine in both public and private hospitals  if the vaccine is not to be provided for free?

Or even that UK expats can receive the vaccine at the same cost as Thais ??

Because you know that there will be a cost, even for Thais, which will be multiplied several times for expats.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

So, is the Embassy lobbying the Thai government to make sure that tax paying (direct or indirect) British expats are eligible for the vaccine on the same timescale at Thai people?

And is the Embassy lobbying for the Thai government to place a cap on the charge for the vaccine in both public and private hospitals  if the vaccine is not to be provided for free?

These are fair questions. Let me get some info together and come back with an answer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, British Consular Team said:

These are fair questions. Let me get some info together and come back with an answer. 

I wish you all the luck in the world getting straightforward and CLEAR answers from The Thai Government.

In normal times i wouldnt dream of expecting a vaccination via my embassy/consulate .

However we are in exceptional times a global pandemic where the rule book is torn up.

Why cant the Uk embassy show some inspiring initiative and provide vaccinations for its citizens abroad

for free or paid.....??????

3 hours ago, British Consular Team said:

On the first, our position is that everyone, regardless of nationality, should be vaccinated under the same timescale and the same terms, as it’s the most effective way to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Thai authorities agree

Is it really true that the Thai authorities agree? I believe Thailand has already received 317,000 doses of vaccines from Sinovac and AstraZeneca.  I haven't heard of a single British citizen, or indeed, any farang, being told that they were going to be vaccinated.  Do you know different?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, supersomchai said:

In normal times i wouldnt dream of expecting a vaccination via my embassy/consulate .

However we are in exceptional times a global pandemic where the rule book is torn up.

Why cant the Uk embassy show some inspiring initiative and provide vaccinations for its citizens abroad

I think that's an unreasonable suggestion.This is Thailand with its first class medical infrastructure not Burkina Faso.But it raises some interesting questions -

1.How many British expatriates would likely be take up the offer should it be available? My guess is not that many at all since by July/August the vaccine will be readily available at private hospitals - and apparently expatriates will also qualify to participate in the Thai government roll out.

2.Are any embassies of major countries offering to vaccinate their citizens resident in Bangkok? As far as I know - none.

3.How are Embassy staff obtaining protection? Is the vaccine being imported from the UK for embassy staff use or will staff obtain protection from the virus here in Bangkok with the rest of us (see 1 above)?

13 minutes ago, jayboy said:

3.How are Embassy staff obtaining protection? Is the vaccine being imported from the UK for embassy staff use or will staff obtain protection from the virus here in Bangkok with the rest of us (see 1 above)?

Not many Brits in the Embassy, mostly Thais, unlike the Thai Embassy in London where even the cleaners are Thai.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 11:56 AM, Oxx said:

Is it really true that the Thai authorities agree? I believe Thailand has already received 317,000 doses of vaccines from Sinovac and AstraZeneca.  I haven't heard of a single British citizen, or indeed, any farang, being told that they were going to be vaccinated.  Do you know different?

Well, to be fair, Thai authorities have already stated that everyone regardless of nationality can be vaccinated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, supersomchai said:

How exactly would you propose that they do that? The Thai health ministry has said that only medical organisations with doctors and the equipment and facilities required to monitor and treat any recipients who may have an allergic reaction will be eligible to import vaccines into Thailand. I'm pretty sure the British Embassy doesn't fall within those parameters.

I would say the best they can do is provide information to British expats as and when it becomes available.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:17 AM, sirineou said:

Of course the Thai Government will provide vaccine for expats living in Thailand , they are not stupid, and they know that having unvaccinated people , regardless of their nationality, living in Thailand is counterproductive to their plan to control the virus and open up their economy.  

The viruce does not know or care if someone is a national of a country or expat ,  it will jump on any available host, and spread from there. 

It is unreasonable to expect one's   home country to vaccinate all their citizens anywhere in the world.   

imo you will eventually need to have the latest working vaccine (this will change yearly afaik) to extend your stay here. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, British Consular Team said:

Thanks again for these questions. On the first, our position is that everyone, regardless of nationality, should be vaccinated under the same timescale and the same terms, as it’s the most effective way to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Thai authorities agree - to quote the Thai PM, ‘no one is safe until everyone is safe’ and CCSA said in their press briefing that they will ensure the ‘same standard’ for both Thais and foreigners. This is good to see but we know that there are still a lot of questions and concerns and people need more practical information, so we are in regular contact with the Thai Ministry of Public Health on these points. 

While this was stated in the May 6 press briefing:

1 - From innumerable reports on this forum from expats all over the country, this has not been relayed down the line to MoPH facilities and personnel.

• Despite the fact that Phase II of the vaccination effort, aimed at those over age 60 and with chronic diseases, starts next month, most hospitals continue to refuse to register non Thai citizens who meet that criteria.
  • Many expats, myself included, who meet the criteria and have registered via the More Prom app have been told by their  hospital that they will be turned away when they show up for the appointment because they hospital is under instructions not to vaccinate non citizens

2 -Thai PBS article today states that only Thai citizens and persons with Permanent Residency will be vaccinated in June and July

The recent announcement about a foreigner registration app coming in June only adds to the confusion due to (1) it applying only for vaccinations in Phase II, not phase II; (2) and the statement that “foreigners are unable to register" on the existing More Prom app. Foreigners who possess a Thai ID number (about  half of all expats) can in fact register and tens of thousands have done so.  It is unclear if the government spokespeople are unaware that many foreigners have Thai ID numbers or if they mean to say that registrations by foreigners, even though possible to make, will not be honored.

Hence there is urgent need for more clarification.

It is going to be a public relations nightmare if thousands of elderly expats holding confirmed vaccine appointments are turned away from Thai hospitals on grounds of nationality  next month and at present that appears poised to happen.

• Thanks 1