94 Year Old Father Moving to Thailand

Just now, Upnotover said:

That may well be the case but he would still need health insurance in order to get an OA visa, check the embassy website for the details.

He has medicare. Is this enough? I rather doubt private insurance is going to cover Thailand, as a previous poster said. Can try. Maybe travel insurance for starters? I am at the beginning of my journey now, so getting TV experts opinions. 

10 minutes ago, mr mr said:

bring the old fella over for a holiday of a lifetime. but moving your ailing father over in the condition you mention. a world of hassle awaits. 

with a father that age you can't be no spring chicken either. how's your health ? ????

I'm fine. Thank you for asking. Care to share specific issues? The napkin-sketch plan is to rent a big house with two floors for a landing place. Then, hire help (live in assistant) or look for a community that he likes and that has nursing staff, activities, etc. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Thanks for this useful info. In that case, maybe we go for O, not OA. Or Elite. Will check all avenues. 

Perhaps worth talking to consulate/embassy staff about it; it seems like the introduction of the insurance requirement has made getting visas quite a bit more difficult for older people, particularly with pre-existing health problems.

This group of tourists must, by far, cause the least problems, so it's not clear this was intended/thought through.

[Waits for reports of roid-addled nonogenarian farang sexpat scooter rage/bar brawl/yaba dealing incidents to flood the thread.]

Edited by onebir
  • Haha 2

Most people will tell you not to even try this. I think most people would be right, but I totally understand why you want to.

Again, about the Elite visa, there is no health insurance requirement for annual extensions.

If he was able to get an O-A, meeting the financial requirements would require 800K in a Thai bank or proof of over 65K per month imported. The latter is difficult for much younger people to manage. If you intend to do the bank method that's basically 800K tied up which is more money than the cost of a 5 year Elite Visa.

What I don't know is what are the INITIAL insurance requirements are for the first entry on an Elite visa. You should ask about that to people that know and/or the Elite company. That may turn out to be a deal killer but IF you can get past that, I still think the Elite would be your best bet.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Another out of the box alternative when the Philippines opens up their SRRV visa program again is for both of you to move there. They have had a specific option for people with great medical needs that he might financial qualify for depending on his social security/pension size. But of course that's a radical idea because you want to do this in Thailand and nobody knows when the Philippines will open up their SRRV program again. 

Edited by Jingthing

I don’t or can’t think of any reason why you would not be able to do this. Indeed, if you are close by and looking after his daily needs it might be a good thing. But I am wondering whether your father could handle the heat and humidity, and would he still be able to do everything he enjoys in the US? And for some that might be as simple as a TV show. Good luck.

• Like 2