Alternative to omeprazole in Thailand?

edwardandtubs

I was prescribed omeprazole by a doctor and it worked but caused nasty side effects so I want to switch to an alternative PPI. The only ones I've seen are 800+ baht for 14 compared to about 40 baht for the omeprazole. Are there any other cheap generic PPIs available in Thailand?

I'm not looking for general medical advice or "natural" alternatives.

Edited by edwardandtubs

8 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I was prescribed omeprazole by a doctor and it worked but caused nasty side effects so I want to switch to an alternative PPI. The only ones I've seen are 800+ baht for 14 compared to about 40 baht for the omeprazole. Are there any other cheap generic PPIs available in Thailand?

i take them ,what are the side effects you get?

• Like 1

I still have a wholesale package of Omeprazole that I bought years ago.

May I suggest that you do as I did, and look at the search terms "acid reflux' and 'diet'?

I came up with the much maligned (by people that know little about it) Keto diet and this led to me not needing to take any more meds for this complaint, loss of 10 Kg weight, reducing of blood pressure and blood sugar.... etc etc. 

It's about your diet, not about taking the wrong meds.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Moprix 20 mg is the brand I take. Available locally in 14 day packs. Very cheap.

Edited by Chris.B

1 hour ago, cooked said:

I still have a wholesale package of Omeprazole that I bought years ago.

May I suggest that you do as I did, and look at the search terms "acid reflux' and 'diet'?

I came up with the much maligned (by people that know little about it) Keto diet and this led to me not needing to take any more meds for this complaint, loss of 10 Kg weight, reducing of blood pressure and blood sugar.... etc etc. 

It's about your diet, not about taking the wrong meds.

but it not solely the acid reflux / diet that has someone prescribed these meds... 

For me it was the primary script to evade possible serious stomach ulcers that directly result from other particular medications...   i.e. I had the Omeprazole prescribed as the Counter against the above effects resulting from having Orudis (for muscular skeletal related pain relief) 

However I immediately ceased the Omeprazole when the Orudis script ceased, due to Dr trying to avoid long term Kidney damage from the Orudis

• Like 1

The currently available PPIs include:

omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid, etc)
lansoprazole (Prevacid)
pantoprazole (Protonix)
rabeprazole (Aciphex)
esomeprazole (Nexium)
dexlansoprazole (Dexilant)

I would suggest that all the ones except omeprazole are imported into Thailand and are expensive.

I would also suggest that all of the above could possibly cause the same side effects that you are experiencing.

The previous generation of stomach acid reducers, know as H2 Blockers, might be suitable for you. 

A common cheap one in Thailand is cimetidine though it too has a host of side effects.

For example, taken with Tadalafil it has a strong drug interaction, increasing its potency many fold.

Depending on circumstances this interaction could be problematic.????

As you consulted a doctor to get the original prescription it seems logical that you would consult him again to resolve the issues you are experiencing.

Edited by LosLobo

48 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

The brand makes no difference if the active ingredient is the same but thanks for trying to help.

Actually I disagree with that, based on my experience with another drug. They are never exactly the same and effects can differ.

• Like 2

I used to take that.  I have switched to 'Mai acid'.  It doesn't act in quite the same way but it certainly helps me,  It's 50 Baht per strip of 12 tabs, 2 per day, so 6 days worth. 'You only take it for 2 weeks at a time, then lay off until needed again. 

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

I take Sanosec 20mg from Fascino. No side affects

That's also omeprazole. 

Nexium (esomeprazole) is the most expensive to buy and esomeprazole is a chemical isomer of omeprazole. Both drugs are made up of the same chemicals but are arranged in different ways.

In trials comparing standard doses of Nexium 40 mg and Prilosec 20 mg (along with other PPIs) in patients with GERD symptoms, Nexium provided the most acid control out of all of the drugs. In another study, patients treated with Nexium experienced faster symptom relief than patients treated with Prilosec and other PPIs. Although Nexium may be more effective, both drugs are quite popular among prescribers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

The brand makes no difference if the active ingredient is the same but thanks for trying to help.

That's not necessarily true.  I had great luck with Miracid, but not so much with some of the other brands in Thailand.  They may be generic copies of Prilosec, but quality control and the inert ingredients apparently make some brands better than others.

• Thanks 1

Always take precautions if you have GERD, or acid reflux.  Might want to also have an upper GI done to ensure that there is no gastritis present or any bleeding because it can lead to a rupture in the lower abdominal aorta.  Had a friend who was taking a prescribe PPI, felt good but then dies of the gastritis induced rupture and within minutes passed away.  Just had an upper GI myself to see why my acid reflux had started again after being gone for the last 10 years.  Was told it could be caused by any medications, a change in the body and diet, as well as stress.  I was told by the doctor to use Belcid suspension which is a liquid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Other PPIs available here are:

lansoprazole
pantoprazole
rabeprazole
esomeprazole
dexlansoprazole

These will cost significantly more than omeprazole as most brands are imported, and as they are in the same class of drug with same action and similar (though nto identical) molecular structure you may experience the same side effects.

Would help to know what side effects exactly trouble you on omeprazole and also why you are taking it e.g. GERD or gastritis or what as this would affect alternatives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Other PPIs available here are:

lansoprazole
pantoprazole
rabeprazole
esomeprazole
dexlansoprazole

These will cost significantly more than omeprazole as most brands are imported, and as they are in the same class of drug with same action and similar (though nto identical) molecular structure you may experience the same side effects.

Would help to know what side effects exactly trouble you on omeprazole and also why you are taking it e.g. GERD or gastritis or what as this would affect alternatives.

It's GERD but seems to be getting better slowly without medication now. I think the key for me is not to lie down or exercise within 3 hours of eating. I already have a good diet and healthy weight.

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's GERD but seems to be getting better slowly without medication now. I think the key for me is not to lie down or exercise within 3 hours of eating. I already have a good diet and healthy weight.

Yes, this (not lying down after eating) is key. Also not to eat too large a volume at any one time and avoid/minimize caffeine (from all sources inc. chocolate) as this weakens the LOS.

Foods that tend to produce gas may also play a role. Often the reflux accompanies the expulsion of gas, yo umay nto even be aware of the gas and notice only the biurning but it was gas that caused the spincted to open and woith it came some gastric fluid.

This, available from Shopee, is a very effective herbal remedy that many people finds helps their GERD, probably by reducing gas formation

https://shopee.co.th/Handy-Herb-Airess-แฮนดี้เฮิร์บ-แอเรส-ช่วยขับลม-บรรเทาอาการท้องอืด-ท้องเฟ้อ-(2-แคปซูล-ซอง-24-ซอง-กล่อง)-i.213722682.7935409600

PPIs like omeprazole do not in any way stop or decrease reflex. The reflux still happens, it is just less acidic so less noticeable. But that comes at a price and it is far better to address the reflux itself rather than try to make it painless by decreading the acidity of your stomach juices to an unnaturally low level

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Seven11 and other groceries sell AIR-X tablets that can be used for the same issue. I am not a medical professional to point out side effects or anything else, but it does reduce acidicity of your gut and is pretty cheap at 18 Baht per 10 tablets.