Thailand abruptly halts AstraZeneca vaccine rollout after 30 clotting cases in 5 million in Europe

rooster59

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

a lot of medical staff in Europe on the front line won't take the AZ vaccine, side effects are quite strong etc... like having Covid without the complications

my son in law is a doctor in the UK. has had both doses of the AZ vaccine with no problems, neither did any of his colleagues.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This was an utterly ridiculous and intensely cowardly decision. Out of millions of people, a random number would develop these conditions. There is no science behind the panic. Only fear and ignorance. I would take this vaccine right now.

The vastly incompetent authorities here just don't get it. They are NOT prioritizing the vaccine. And the economy is devastated. But a large part of the problem stems from having multi-millionaire leaders. Tone deaf to the needs of the nation would be an understatement.

Unfortunately, at this rate, tourism will take many years to rebound, leaving millions out of work. 

A little conservative perhaps, but Thailand is not alone in this "utterly ridiculous and intensely cowardly decision... vastly incompetent authorities".  Not the decision I'd make, but never mind as expect it'll blow over shortly.

Most of the "safe" world is still shut down, so let's not over react. I'm as devastated as anyone with the global fear, driven by media and policies from many absurd health experts to the detriment of the most vulnerable. Thailand is not alone in this either, and it is frustrating.

As Prayuth suggested in calling the press to "stop the drama", perhaps we could take that hint as well. 

5 hours ago, RR2020 said:

Exactly.......this is a battle over profits and politics.

AZ is not profit making.......and so........no chance of corruption money around the world.

AZ being cheap also means China and others cannot sell their influence by offering vaccines.........  The USA cannot gain political power offering its vaccines............the EU cannot gain political power offerings its vaccines..........

So there are a lot of "knives out" to try to get people not to buy AZ vaccine.  Its all about profit and power.

30 cases in 5 million is less than the general level in the population, so how its a problem is amazing spin by those against AZ.

The EU medicines agency hasn't suggested stopping AZ vaccines and AZ is British/Swedish so I doubt the EU had much to do with it. 

Having said that it's not only Thailand that's stored using it but I suspect they are just being careful. 

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

a lot of medical staff in Europe on the front line won't take the AZ vaccine, side effects are quite strong etc... like having Covid without the complications

Now that is interesting......can you send links to that effect.....cheers.

I have done a search, but found nothing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Both myself and my Ma had the vaccine on the same day. 24 hours later, we were both sick as dogs. The side-effects lasted for 48-72 hours.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

on TV only, sorry no links, probably not worth a story for the press ????

Medical staff refusing to take the vaccine could be that they don't want to be sick for 1 week and miss work. A lot of countries are suspending AZ, even though the blood clot might not be related to the vaccine according to some sources. EU countries are acting out of precautionary measures.

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, polpott said:

my son in law is a doctor in the UK. has had both doses of the AZ vaccine with no problems, neither did any of his colleagues.

a lot of doctors says the same, but somehow front lines staff have seen a different story with patients in hospital. My doctor told me to expect serious fever for a few days with AZ. That's his experience with other patients.

I had COVID already, so will wait for vaccine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrandPapillon said:

on TV only, sorry no links, probably not a worth a story for the press ????

Medical staff refusing to take the vaccine could be that they don't want to be sick for 1 week and miss work. A lot of countries are suspending AZ, even though the blood clot might not be related to the vaccine according to some sources. EU countries are acting out of precautionary measures.

......30 dead ........and that is how many you would expect in the same number of unvaccinated people......all seems very odd....'.

13 minutes ago, baboon said:

Both myself and my Ma had the vaccine on the same day. 24 hours later, we were both sick as dogs. The side-effects lasted for 48-72 hours.

yep, that's the story we are getting from a lot of patients. Again, you are sick for a few days without the complications, except for the blood clot but that's difficult to confirm.

True story!

My buddy got the first dose of the Mederna Vaccine.

The next day woke up, stood up out of bed, and passed out hitting his head and was hospitalized...then sent home.

After the second dose he woke up the next day with a bonified STROKE! Left side face droop and left side incapacitated.

Now in the hospital.

Coincidence....?

This is really nonsense. Of course you should record all the events, but there is no plausible causal relationship between vaccination and blood clotting. You might as well fall off your bike after vaccination and record it as a side effect. Maybe it's just an excuse to delay the vaccination because there are not enough vaccines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

Where did you get this information from? 

ridiculous panic measure 30 POSSIBLE cases in 5 million there will always be outliers who have reactions to any drug or vaccine the fact is that 99.99% have not had any such reaction. I understand also that all these reactions are from the same country which is interesting there may be an environmental factor which has not been taken into account or the vaccine was not stored properly

• Like 1

A couple of posts have ben talking about deaths due to blood clotting. From what I've read, only one person has died, the rest of those that had blood clotting survived. It may have changed since I read that but the article certainly doesn't mention deaths, just instances.

• Like 2

Health Ministry will resume AstraZeneca vaccination next week

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/health-ministry-will-resume-astrazeneca-vaccination-next-week/

Thailand’s Disease Control Department has assured that the AstraZeneca vaccine does not cause an increased risk of blood clots and inoculations will resume next week, after their suspension on Friday.

The department’s director-general, Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, said Saturday that the European Medicines Agency had investigated reports of blood clots in some recipients of the AstraZeneca vaccine and found that the vaccine does not increase the risk.

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Are they now sitting on a stockpile of AZ vaccine? Vaccine expires when? 

Not just the expiry date. They (the vaccines) have to be stored correctly. Leaving them out in the sun for a few hours might render them even more dangerous if injected.

These mRNA vaccines might mean the end of blood-transfusions in the future.

11 hours ago, Stocky said:

How do the stats compare to the chances of death or serious injury on a Thai road?

I was actually quite surprised at Thailand's response to covid given the many other extremely dangerous things that they tolerate.

I guess risk of covid isn't the "fun" kind of dangerous.  That or they don't have amulets for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

......30 dead ........and that is how many you would expect in the same number of unvaccinated people......all seems very odd....'.

Not 30 dead - 30 cases of blood clotting. There was only one death among them, as far as I'm aware.

As others have pointed out, that's less than you would expect in the normal run of things with the same number of unvaccinated people.

Based on those figures it could perhaps be argued the vaccine is actually protecting people against blood clotting.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

8 hours ago, RR2020 said:

One way to look at it.  

Another way is they don't vaccinate over 65's with this.  When you get old, your body is an old clunker and it can't take things like a young persons body.  

Any medication, any vaccine can potentially kill you.  Tylenol, diamox, write it and it can kill you.  Your body is unique and will respond accordingly.  

People die during trials from all kinds of things, and the slightest stressor can trigger it.  

Guess my point is they are being careful, but in the end, get it, don't get it, nobody cares.  Emerging evidence suggests that if you don't accept at least one of the vaccines your chances of international travel will be severely restricted.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not 30 dead - 30 cases of blood clotting. There was only one death among them, as far as I'm aware.

As others have pointed out, that's less than you would expect in the normal run of things with the same number of unvaccinated people.

Based on those figures it could perhaps be argued the vaccine is actually protecting people against blood clotting.

Yes...sorry....don't know what I was thinking....30 cases.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:02 AM, rooster59 said:

This despite the fact that just 30 cases of clotting in blood vessels was reported in 5 million vaccinations in Europe. 

For <deleted> sake that equates to 420 given the population of Thailand, for a one off event (OK maybe 840 as 2 injections are required), Thailand are quite happy to accept roughly 380 road deaths a month.

• Like 1