Average price of beer in Thailand costs more than in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Berlin and Washington: Study

webfact

On 3/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, Orton Rd said:

Beer lao dark is only 49 baht now in Tops, where do they get 149 baht from for a small bottle? one or two imports maybe.

I pay 55 baht for a large bottle of chang with ice thrown in at a local Thai bar . 

Still expensive for most Thai people . One beer equals 10 percent of there days income . 

If you take the minimum wage into account in Thailand and it becomes the most expensive country in the world to drink beer. 
The cheapest beer possible to buy (beer Lao at 29 thb, and that isn’t available all over Thailand) and you are looking at only 10 bottles for a full day salary.  That is crazy. 

The more insane it gets when you think about how cheap hard liquor are. In comparison they are virtually throwing the healthy lao khao and other cheap liquors after the Thais. 

Nice health policy ????????

There is no reason that beers should be expensive like it is in thai.   It’s cheap to brew. 

Edited by GeilGeilertzen

1 minute ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

There is no reason that beers should be expensive like it is in thai. 

Monopolies, cartels and tax........I'd like to say the tax element is related to concerns for public health, but that would never float.

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

......or are we a drop in the ocean compared to Thai consumers?

Not even a drop. I live out in the sticks and get my beer from a local wholesaler, more for convenience than anything else, can just pick it up on the way home any time of day. They are always busy with pickups coming and going all the time. Not an expat in sight,no bars and very few restaurants in the area. Not a bad thing, plenty of Thai kitchens and you can pop into the nearest shop to get a beer to have with your food.

I can only assume the wholesaler is delivering out to shops and homes. Last time I went they were out of stock of Archa and they delivered it a few hours later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I can buy Beer Lao, Singh, Chang, and Leo in the US at Asian grocery stores for the equivalent of 50 baht a bottle and that's including tax.

That's cheap indeed! 

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I can buy Beer Lao, Singh, Chang, and Leo in the US at Asian grocery stores for the equivalent of 50 baht a bottle and that's including tax.

Beat me to it and that's export beer as well not locally produced under license. At Aldi in Australia Leo 330ml bottles work out @22 baht each.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Beat me to it and that's export beer as well not locally produced under license. At Aldi in Australia Leo 330ml bottles work out @22 baht each.

Wow.  I just got back from Makro and a case of Leo big bottles was 609 Baht whih works out to 27 Baht per 330ml.

4 hours ago, KhunG said:

Wow.  I just got back from Makro and a case of Leo big bottles was 609 Baht whih works out to 27 Baht per 330ml.

Na big bottles aren't 330ml they are not proper long necks but they more than 330.

7 hours ago, tso310 said:

630ml bottle of Singha in Waitrose, UK, currently £1.60. Not surprised they can't get rid of it.

OF all the places you wouldn't epect to find anything 'worth the money' , I'm heading there now!! having said that Asda do 4 large for £6............................what would be your choice (if at all) and are you fortunate enough to find it in the UK?

12 hours ago, starky said:

Na big bottles aren't 330ml they are not proper long necks but they more than 330.

I know.  I multiplied 12 * 320 to get total ml, divided into 609 to get cost per ml, then multiplied by 330 to get the number of ml mentioned in the article.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thequietman said:

No ...... North of Ireland. ????

No he said Northern Ireland, which is a tangible entity. Not some unspecified part of the Atlantic Ocean. 

You do not seem able to articulate your twisted ideology. 

3 hours ago, KhunG said:

I know.  I multiplied 12 * 320 to get total ml, divided into 609 to get cost per ml, then multiplied by 330 to get the number of ml mentioned in the article.

Screwed that up and didn't notice until the ability to edit timed out.  The 320 above should be 620.

13 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

if Beer wasn't expensive in Thailand, how would all those Thai billionaires in the Beverage industry survive in the long run? ????

think of them, and pay for their expensive lifestyle ????

And what happened to the Asean free trade agreements obviously not affected by taxes or certain countries monopolies. 

On 3/19/2021 at 12:30 AM, madmen said:

I'm in Oz and a 6 pack of all local beer is around $20. Ridiculous! But the wines are silly cheap ????

will not be going to Oz uk must be the cheapest got 12 cans of guinness original for 10 pounds 440ml tesco Becks larger 24 bottle 330 ml 14 pounds UK

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 6:05 AM, webfact said:

The average price of beer costs more in Bangkok than in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Brussels and Berlin, a new study has revealed.

Beer 1 pint in my local rural pub in the UK, 4.50GBP (180bht)

Beer 620ml in my local straw hut bar in Thailand, 70bht.

Lucky I don't live in Bangkok and only drink in tourist traps.

But agree 6 packs in Tesco UK are cheaper than Tesco Thailand.

But back in the UK I can't buy a 70cl bottle of Vodka in Tesco for 150bht.

Edited by BritManToo

On 3/19/2021 at 7:27 AM, BobinBKK said:

I have literally paid less for a bottle of Chang beer from an Asian market near my previous home outside of Dallas Texas then what I pay for it here. America honors its free trade agreement with Thailand, the Thai government not so much on items imported from America. I see items are priced 300%-600% higher in Thailand than what we pay in America.

Lots of things just aren't that cheap in Thailand. An old Dubliner friend says that he buys many thing (clothes included, similar quality etc), more cheaply in Dublin than he can in Thailand. I now live back in the UK, after 2 years in Thailand, one example, when I buy deoderent in Thaland it's 150 Baht, in the UK it's £1.50, the Thai price is around two and a half times the UK price. Computers/peripherals are another thing, cost the same or cheaper in the UK.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:25 AM, Percy P said:

Thai people don't mind as long as it comes free . No problem of it being pish its alcohol. Occasionally l drink Lao Khao .My coffee testes wonderful with a wee drop in it.

I know what you mean, although an old Scottish friend from Edinburgh calls 100 pipers "The Devils Urine".

On 3/19/2021 at 1:46 AM, faraday said:

Not drinking those 'wonderful' 3 litre plastic bottles of White Lightning or Frost Jack's?

????

Not nowadays, but I did in my youth.

In my local Wetherspoons in the UK a pint of Ruddle's Bitter is £1.29, about 55 Baht????

On 3/22/2021 at 1:22 PM, Andrew65 said:

Lots of things just aren't that cheap in Thailand. An old Dubliner friend says that he buys many thing (clothes included, similar quality etc), more cheaply in Dublin than he can in Thailand. I now live back in the UK, after 2 years in Thailand, one example, when I buy deoderent in Thaland it's 150 Baht, in the UK it's £1.50, the Thai price is around two and a half times the UK price. Computers/peripherals are another thing, cost the same or cheaper in the UK.

What does an attractive 30 year old wife/gf weighing 45Kg cost in the UK these days?

(Thailand 10Kbht/month)

What does a 1 bed apartment with pool access outside the living room window cost in the UK these days?

(Pattaya around 10Kbht/month)

pool.jpg

Edited by BritManToo