Possible HIV exposure

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You could go to the Thai Red Cross Clinic now, but better to wait until it has been 14 days. If you test negative you will be advised to have additional test at 3 and 6 months just to be sure, but negative PCR at 13 days means infection is highly unlikely.

It is rather meaningless to try to ask about odds as there are so many unknown variables. If your partner was HIV negative then of course the risk is zero. If your partner was HIV positive but on medication and virally suppressed, also virtually zero. If your partner was HIV positive and had a low viral load  then slight risk. Highest risk is if your partner was HIV+ with a high viral load.

Also depends on whether you or your partner had any breaks in the skin of the penis/neovagina.

The receptive partner is always at more risk than the penetrative partner so assuming you were the latter the odds are certainly in your favor even if your partner was infected with a significant viral load -- but odds aren't really going to put your mind at ease until you know for sure, as even 1000:1 odds in your favor are no good if you happen to be the unlucky one in a thousand.

Hang on another 3-4 days then got to the Red Cross clinic.

Thank you so much Sheryl for the informative answer to my questions. I will definitely go to the Red Cross Clinic after 4 days. There is so much different information online about how long should be waited in order to get a good result. And it also depends on the test method. Apparently the test method that Red Cross clinic uses is the one that gives a highly reliable result from 14 days onwards from the exposure, right?

Edited by iamatotalpieceof

3 hours ago, iamatotalpieceof said:

Thank you so much Sheryl for the informative answer to my questions. I will definitely go to the Red Cross Clinic after 4 days. There is so much different information online about how long should be waited in order to get a good result. And it also depends on the test method. Apparently the test method that Red Cross clinic uses is the one that gives a highly reliable result from 14 days onwards from the exposure, right?

I'm pretty sure the standard test Red Cross do is the month test, i know, I go there, so you need to be specific, things can get lost in translation plus the screens there make it hard to hear. If you get the wrong test it's worthless

13 minutes ago, ShindenGo said:

Not to scare you but HIV is no longer a death sentence it once was. You can thank Dr. Fauci (sound familiar?) for that. Plenty of people live healthy lives even though they are positive. As some above have mentioned there are medications can can make the viral load nearly zero. So you won’t be able to transfer the disease to anyone else. 

I'm wondering if antivirals effect kidney function, i know that PrEP does so if you are taking anti virals for the rest of your life it may not be good for kidneys, one for @Sheryl maybe?

1 hour ago, ShindenGo said:

Not to scare you but HIV is no longer a death sentence it once was. You can thank Dr. Fauci (sound familiar?) for that. Plenty of people live healthy lives even though they are positive. As some above have mentioned there are medications can can make the viral load nearly zero. So you won’t be able to transfer the disease to anyone else. 

All of that is true but the problem is with Thai people not religiously taking the medication, or sporadically or stopping all together because they think they feel ok or are too embarrassed to go to the hospital. A huge issue here in the rural areas as I see it is in the country hospitals they usually have a special area for HIV and other infectious diseases and there is always a good chance someone you know will walk past and start asking questions (or join the dots themselves). Another reason for stopping or sporadically taking meds is a person might be living with a family and has to go to the hospital to get checked and receive meds and this could be hard to hide particularly if it is a long way and they need a ride. Should be a lot better these days though with 6 months worth of medication being issued at one time and only one pill per night needs to be taken. Used to be three rather large bottles, hard to hide if living with someone. I remember sitting in the clinic at the hospital with my girl and the doctor would be admonishing people one after the other for not taking their meds. She knew because their CD4 (Immunity strength) had fallen and viral load risen. And a person sporadically taking meds can be more infectious than a person not taking meds, or so I was told

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You could go to the Thai Red Cross Clinic now, but better to wait until it has been 14 days. If you test negative you will be advised to have additional test at 3 and 6 months just to be sure, but negative PCR at 13 days means infection is highly unlikely.

It is rather meaningless to try to ask about odds as there are so many unknown variables. If your partner was HIV negative then of course the risk is zero. If your partner was HIV positive but on medication and virally suppressed, also virtually zero. If your partner was HIV positive and had a low viral load  then slight risk. Highest risk is if your partner was HIV+ with a high viral load.

Also depends on whether you or your partner had any breaks in the skin of the penis/neovagina.

The receptive partner is always at more risk than the penetrative partner so assuming you were the latter the odds are certainly in your favor even if your partner was infected with a significant viral load -- but odds aren't really going to put your mind at ease until you know for sure, as even 1000:1 odds in your favor are no good if you happen to be the unlucky one in a thousand.

Hang on another 3-4 days then got to the Red Cross clinic.

What is a neovagina?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm wondering if antivirals effect kidney function, i know that PrEP does so if you are taking anti virals for the rest of your life it may not be good for kidneys, one for @Sheryl maybe?

it depends which antivirals, Tenofovir is known to cause this; if kidney function (measured by creatinine output) is impaired, medication will be adjusted.

Edited by orchis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

so creatinine is monitored for people on antivirals?

in those on meds that have that particular possible side effect only. 
(there are now 857 likely combinations of antiretrovirals ).

Edited by orchis
  • Like 2

The first thing is 'Do Not Panic'

Worst case scenario - you become HIV positive. There are a number of drugs out there that can control this now. No sweat.

If you do not have it - no problem but be more careful next time.

Please change your name on the profile - youarenotatotalpieceof.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have to ask WHY you would need to take prep. If a person you are in a relationship is undetectable and continues to take tablets every day to say so, then there is no risk of catching HIV from that person. Nobody in the history of undetectable HIV has passed on the HIV virus to a partner.

The real reason prep is there for is for people with risky lifestyles. 

I know many people with HIV, none currently have issues with kidneys through medication - probably as being blood and urine tested enables changes of anti-retro virals

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The real reason prep is there for is for people with risky lifestyles. 

I know many people with HIV, none currently have issues with kidneys through medication - probably as being blood and urine tested enables changes of anti-retro virals

Congratulations for working it out, where as many guys don't use a condom and don't even think of taking PrEP, I take PrEP as a precaution.

Certainly with PrEP kidney issues aren't physically noticed but if you had your creatinine tested regularly you'd see a deterioration, still within the range but a definite trend. That's why it's not a long term solution, but once you stop taking PrEP the kidneys are meant to return to normal.

I'm just surprised the same thing doesn't happen with anti virals, but if they aren't all getting tested they wouldn't know

• Like 1

Is def an unpleasant feeling wondering if you caught it...I recall a few of those small cheap thai condoms breaking on me and I was a bit freaked out

So I too went to Cm Ram to get tested..is nerve racking waiting as its a 50-50 shot ..I recall the CUTE nurse walking towards me with the envelope(results)

Was over a decade ago but but I was sitting in lobby, cute nurse came to sit with me and read the results.....NEGATIVE---long deep sigh of relief

The thing that stuck with me most was that she offered me her # after finding I was clean and negative   555......ahhh ladyboys and too much sangsom ????

On 3/26/2021 at 3:41 PM, ShindenGo said:

Every time I read this I roll my eyes. 

Taking coctail meds for the rest of your life and then worrying about interaction with other meds when you get older is far from a stress free and healthy life. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Every time I read this I roll my eyes. 

Taking coctail meds for the rest of your life and then worrying about interaction with other meds when you get older is far from a stress free and healthy life. 

Girl I knew used to take the meds every night and after she was well out of it. Nearly drunk. I think it lessened over time and they are totally necesary if you have HIV but they can't be good for you. Very strong medication

9 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

Out of scientific/medical curiosity does anyone know if the neo-vagina has or develops a mucous membrane like a bonafide vagina?  I thought NV's were formed from the skin of the penis, basically turning it inside-out.

From what I heard, no, they probably slap some lube up there and you wouldn't know, apart from the deep voice

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2021 at 7:47 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Worst case scenario - you become HIV positive. There are a number of drugs out there that can control this now. No sweat.

Funny how an HIV infection is now "no sweat", but the threat of a Covid infection sends everyone into an unglued panic.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1