Do you just drink water when you are thirsty, or...

giddyup

I do not keep track of how much liquid I consume.  I have a case of bottled water a week, delivered. Hot season, Ice tea or lime soda. Limes are cheap, but I do use schweppes, not the local. 

A previous poster mentioned lemon cordial. I usually have a bottle of Bickfords around. Helps with rehydration & whiskey smashes.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I think 8 glasses of plain water is recommended, not other drinks that may contain water but also have other ingredients like sugar, caffeine, alcohol etc. You can have 10 bottles of beer and wake up in the morning dehydrated.

What is the source of this recommendation to drink  8 glasses of water?

Over the years there have been various conflicting claims about the "correct" volume of water and some have been ridiculously excessive.

The more accepted  scientific recommendations often cite "total " intake which includes the percentage contained in food but the individual measure is best established by observation of urine colour.

Incidentally scientific evaluations of the effect of drinking beer have shown little significant dehydrating effect from the alcohol content. The dry mouth symptoms are more likely to be from the reduction in saliva production caused by alcohol intake.

Strange that people drink 3 liters of water a day, or more ! I  have always read that 1 and a half ( 1.5 l ) liter was normal ; here, when it's hot and I stayed outside long time, I can drink 2 liters, it's my normal amount but never more 

I have read here, sometime ago, a guy who said that he drinks 7 liters a day ! crazy, I wonder how his body can accept that !

• Like 1

Some times I drink more. But I like cold water.

The 8 glass a day is a recommendation, one does not nessacery have to drink  8 glasses if one does not want to. We get water when we eat food also.  

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I don't particularly like plain water, I tend to drink black tea, 3-4 1L pots per day, should be enough water in there. 

Pee is the recommended colour.

I agree. The colour of the urine is a good indication of hydration. 

I make a weak solution of the D-Champ powder with water.  A stronger solution on the days I exercise, or after a night out drinking.     

Here's what the US Army says, based on heat and workload.  It may have been updated since 1999, because they're getting a (very) few cases of water toxicity.  As I recall, the Israeli Army recommends one liter per hour, and actually credited that for some success they had over adversaries whose fluid intake was limited by logistics.

During the year we wore black after the death of the King, my shirts were totally grey at the end of the day from all the salt in my sweat.  Convinced me to take ORS (oral rehydration salts).  At first, I took the non-sugar ORS, but then did some research to find that the glucose is necessary for the body to intake the salts.  So I took the normal ORS to avoid mineral imbalance from drinking as much water as I did.

https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutwaterrequir.pdf

BTW, take a look at the recommended Work/Rest cycles recommended for the Thai environment and maybe you'll have a little empathy for why Thai workers seem to take a lot of breaks.  Even western Superworkers are supposed to rest for 50 minutes of each hour when it's over 90 F- if they're doing strenuous work.  But I digress...

Water.jpg

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

The question is whether you drink (or try to) the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, or do you just drink when thirsty? Not if you drink beer or anything else.

Recommended by who? You need a certain amount of liquid (non alcohol), but can be other drinks too or food.

Hi

I had no idea of the daily recommendation.

However I always keep a fairly decent stick of water, delivered in multiple 6 x 1.5 litre packs..

I have drunk 10.5 litres in 4 days, only know as the empties are collected twice a week.

Do I feel forced to drink it ? No.

Highest consumption would be in the hour or so after waking up

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

I don't particularly like plain water, I tend to drink black tea, 3-4 1L pots per day, should be enough water in there. 

Very high caffeine !    Guess there is a downside to everything.

I drink water ( some times with black or pink salt ) and try and meet the 2 - 3 litre every day.
I don't drink any soft drinks or alcohol and drink only one real coffee a week.
Having worked / lived in many hot countries one learns the importance of water

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

I found your comment ' I don't  ...........water 'interesting as the body is 90 something % water so it must be our most important component . Ah but drinking 4 pints of ale is easy but try drinking 4 pints of water in one go.  This weather I like Earl Grey black with 1 sugar.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

I drink water ( some times with black or pink salt ) and try and meet the 2 - 3 litre every day.
I don't drink any soft drinks or alcohol and drink only one real coffee a week.
Having worked / lived in many hot countries one learns the importance of water

My GP recommended that I drink 2l per day. 3l in the tropics. Also to take electolyte replacements (salt tablets). My son always drinks a pint of water before bed if he's been on the lash. Never has hangovers. As others have said, urine needs to be clear/pale amber. If much darker you  need to drink more.

I'm close....

I drink close to 2, sometimes 3 full goblets from my favorite 30 ounce cup my wife had made....One of my all time favorite gifts....

To me it tastes better iced....

What I really need to get better at is avoiding Coke Zero.... It's hard to lay off - my body wants that sweet taste and has been programmed to expect it.....

IMG_20210329_110242.jpg

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Beer at 5% ABV is 95% water!

A few ice cubes added to each glass of Chang maintains ideal level of hydration for me. I don't wake up thirsty during the night and no leg cramps, urine about the same color as the watered down Chang. Perfect.

• Like 1

Just now, KeeTua said:

A few ice cubes added to each glass of Chang maintains ideal level of hydration for me. I don't wake up thirsty during the night and no leg cramps, urine about the same color as the watered down Chang. Perfect.

So basically you are diluting the beer down to 4% ABV

53 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm close....

I drink close to 2, sometimes 3 full goblets from my favorite 30 ounce cup my wife had made....One of my all time favorite gifts....

To me it tastes better iced....

What I really need to get better at is avoiding Coke Zero.... It's hard to lay off - my body wants that sweet taste and has been programmed to expect it.....

IMG_20210329_110242.jpg

That's because the Aspartame used to sweeten it is addictive.

What's 30 oz in metric.

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

You mean this is being rude after I'd already posted the question twice?

I'll repeat it, since you don't seem to have read the question.

The question is whether you drink (or try to) the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, or do you just drink when thirsty? Not if you drink beer or anything else.

Yes. That wording  comes across as if you are angry and sounds aggressive and will get negative aggressive responses back, even if you are correct in what you say. 

Hope you found my actual answer to your original question helpful. 

• Sad 1

Even back home I often get dehydrated when I forget to drink.  I find that waiting until thirsty is not enough, even more so in SEA.  You really have to shove it down to keep hydrated.

Worst is that I often forget, then can't sleep due to dehydration as it pushes my body temp up.

an ounce for every two pounds of body weight, was the rec in arizona..and that was not including extra for sports.  Seen guys lose 8 pounds during one football practice.  I do unsweetened gree tea, original thai brand, 65 thb for 200 grams.

11 minutes ago, moontang said:

an ounce for every two pounds of body weight, was the rec in arizona..and that was not including extra for sports.  Seen guys lose 8 pounds during one football practice.  I do unsweetened gree tea, original thai brand, 65 thb for 200 grams.

So if they LOSE 8 pounds, they do not need as much water, in fact 4 oz less according to your opening sentence.

What is an ounce/pound in real money?

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

So if they LOSE 8 pounds, they do not need as much water, in fact 4 oz less according to your opening sentence.

What is an ounce/pound in real money?

I already stated that rule did not include extra for sports..  

I have for years striven to meet the 8 glasses a day recommendation. Because of my exercise regimen I often far exceed that, consuming 3-4 glasses prior to my early morning workout. If I am enjoying a beer, I always have a glass of water to counter the profound diuretic effects of alcohol.

The Mayo Clinic in the US states that  "You've probably heard the advice to drink eight glasses of water a day. That's easy to remember, and it's a reasonable goal...Most healthy people can stay hydrated by drinking water and other fluids whenever they feel thirsty. For some people, fewer than eight glasses a day might be enough. But other people might need more."

It further states that other liquids such as coffee, tea, milk, cola and juices, although mildly diuretic, can count toward our total liquid consumption, with the usual caveats regarding excess sugar. Interestingly, food, such as fruit and vegetables, can add as much as 20% to our liquid consumption.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, giddyup said:

You post on a public Forum and act surprised (and Angry) when other posters will not stay on topic ?

Reply to MY topic alone ?

• Sad 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:59 PM, KannikaP said:

I filter my tap water, then put it in a bottle!   LOL

Funny that on aircraft they give you a small plastic cup of water which says 'PURE BOTTLED WATER' and then goes on to tell you what minerals etc are in it. Pure?

Never ever drink water on a plane unless its bottled. I wouldnt even drink tea or coffee on a plane. They never clean the water tank.

• Confused 1