Thailand to be first with plastic roads

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Used coffee packaging was crushed and mixed with asphalt, to create 10,270 kilograms of the plastic waste mixture to pave the 6,000 square metres of road.

Assuming the road is 8 metres wide, 6000/8 = total length of road is 750 meters ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Plastic roads in this heat.

What could go wrong???

When asking 'what could possibly go wrong?", it's always a good idea to ask 'who thought of it?' and 'who is in charge?' Then the questions almost answer themselves.

28 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

road made from plastic waste

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Ko Phi Phi National Park

Recognize the conundrum?

Nope... I don’t at all. 

I recognise someone who has made an assumption without an understanding and projecting a different issue of plastic bags, straws etc getting into the local ecosystem, unless you think bits of this road are going to float away and kill off the corals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:
3 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Plastic roads in this heat.

What could go wrong???

When asking 'what could possibly go wrong?", it's always a good idea to ask 'who thought of it?' and 'who is in charge?' Then the questions almost answer themselves.

In this case, could it be that ‘someone Thai thought of it and someone Thai is in charge of it, so a lot must go wrong.....right ??? ????

44 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The normal problem with plastic getting into the environment is that it breaks down into micro-particles that are extremely injurious to marine and terrestrial life.

Plastics mixed in with asphalt however, are bound in a way that prevents them breaking down into micro-particles.

In addition, according to the research, these composite roads "have better wear resistance than standard asphalt concrete roads. They do not absorb water, have better flexibility which results in less rutting and less need for repair. Road surfaces remain smooth, are lower maintenance, and absorb sound better."

great idea but i see a problem. when they get a pothole in the road the council workers would need hundreds of different shaped pieces in their truck to fit into the jigsaw....see picture.

6 hours ago, Farmerkev said:

A load of bs reporting again "the first", UK been doing it for years India aswell, not only with plastic but with old tires also

<deleted> about reporting.  Should be first plastic road in Thailand. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Coming soon Thailand hub of plastic roads. ????

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Farmerkev said:

A load of bs reporting again "the first", UK been doing it for years India aswell, not only with plastic but with old tires also

"The first" in Thailand, it's the Thai news...????

Just now, GroveHillWanderer said:

The normal problem with plastic getting into the environment is that it breaks down into micro-particles that are extremely injurious to marine and terrestrial life.

Plastics mixed in with asphalt however, are bound in a way that prevents them breaking down into micro-particles.

In addition, according to the research, these composite roads "have better wear resistance than standard asphalt concrete roads. They do not absorb water, have better flexibility which results in less rutting and less need for repair. Road surfaces remain smooth, are lower maintenance, and absorb sound better."

All of which is very helpful, thanks. Your  exposition of the advantages and otherwise of plastic particles in asphalt was extremely helpful, though I have to say it didn't sound much like it was an accompaniment to a Thai innovation. I ask because it didn't sound particularly Thai, in fact it was rather more clear than I would have expected, abd I note and I note that other posters to this column have opined that the inclusion of plastic particulates in road  surfaces is neither new nor a Thai innovation, despite the editorial content claiming one thing, and implying the other thing.

Just a thought.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1