PM Assures to Deliver 800,000 Doses of Covid-19 Vaccine This Month

Jonathan Fairfield

799bac31b20241b29ed9e27d528a7097_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has assured that 800,000 doses of Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine would be delivered to provinces nationwide this month.

He said 300,000 doses would be used to contain the spread of Covid-19 in six provinces, another 300,000 doses would be used to help tourism recover and in border provinces, while 200,000 doses would be delivered to 55 provinces.

The prime minister said the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had so far approved three Covid-19 vaccines: AstraZeneca, Sinovac, and Johnson & Johnson. Many pharmaceutical companies are also preparing documents to request approval from Thai FDA, such as India’s Bharat Biotech, US Moderna and China’s Sinopharm.

He added that the government was ready to support the private sector in purchasing and importing Covid-19 vaccines once pharmaceutical companies allow them to do so.

nnt.jpg

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He said 300,000 doses would be used to contain the spread of Covid-19 in six provinces, another 300,000 doses would be used to help tourism recover and in border provinces, while 200,000 doses would be delivered to 55 provinces.

So that should cover just over 1.2%  of the country. (if my maths is correct)...well it’s a start I suppose. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I wonder why it's so easy to get the Sinovac vaccine? Just how long of a wait is there for the J&J vaccine? Have they ordered any yet? My sleeve is rolled up and my wallet is open.

I have heard that the Chinese manufacture of Sinovac mass produced it, but the real reason I heard is many of many of Chinese will not take it because they consider it not a traditional Chinese medicine towards their beleif. And thus you have and over abundance of Sinovac.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

800,000 in a month is nothing. Even the UK, with a similar population to Thailand, feels it's moving too slowly in spite of managing to give over 800,000 jabs in a single day. The Thai government needs to get its collective finger out of the place where the sun don't shine and get serious about vaccination.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/vaccine-uk-rollout-boris-johnson-b925400.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DLock said:

Siam Bioscience is probably the only possible savior, supposedly producing AZ vaccines locally - and have promised 10million vaccines per month in June - so giving them some leeway until the end of June, is less than 3 months.

Where are the updates? 

SB is allegedly on it 5th line production run of AZ, so where are the 1-4 runs being sent? Or just in cold storage?

It allegedly will not let Thai news media see any of its operations or stockpiles, unlike most of the other pharmaceuticals producing covid-19 vaccines.

if it's on the 5th run, why would release in Thailand be delayed until June? Unless AZ will be exported like India is doing?

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I have heard that the Chinese manufacture of Sinovac mass produced it, but the real reason I heard is many of many of Chinese will not take it because they consider it not a traditional Chinese medicine towards their beleif. And thus you have and over abundance of Sinovac.

Just mix in some Pangolin scales, Tiger organ and Bear bile. Sorted

These charts are from worldometer.info on 4th April. 3 countries using the Chinese Coronavac. The indicators all point in the wrong direction. Not sure if the vaccine is not very effective or something else is happening like the countries are opening up too fast.

But we do know that the Chines have not released any data on the effectiveness of Coronavac in phase 3 trials. And we know that Coronavac uses old technology from 100 years ago...using inactivated viruses. Rather than modern genetic modification approaches used by western companies.

It is worth watching what happens in Coronavac countries to see if it works properly.

1032457861_Screenshot2021-04-04at15_47_54.png.61edfc277c5827c399dd56b08b722d62.png

12 minutes ago, WHansen said:

Just mix in some Pangolin scales, Tiger organ and Bear bile. Sorted

Ya know, if they did mix in herbs and whatever masking it over as being a sort of also a tradition medicine then just maybe they would take it. You could even tell them the needle acts like acupuncture.

8 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

for once i'm happy to wait

Why? For now only, the western Astra is causing lots of problems.

Didnt hear form any other vaccine, yet.

One thing for sure , i will not have Astra.

9 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Many pharmaceutical companies are also preparing documents to request approval from Thai FDA, such as India’s Bharat Biotech, US Moderna and China’s Sinopharm.

<cue the sound of dragging feet> 

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

It's all a bit "Only Fools and Horses", isn't it?

8 hours ago, DLock said:

It appears that countries that did well managing the virus got complacent and lazy with vaccine management.

I think it's more that they had multiple factors that helped slow the spread, along with the political will to lock everything down and make stopping spread the top priority.  Asia was also used to breakouts like this.

Manufacturing/negotiating/ordering to secure enough vaccines, then facilitating the delivery of that vaccine is completely different.

59 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's all a bit "Only Fools and Horses", isn't it?

Yeah but who knows. Maybe the Chinese Gov secretly vaccinated the majority of them somehow so it doesn't matter either way. Just a theory I hold. Nothing factual. 

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

There is a deep distrust with the people and the government. There is a huge market importing foreign made medicines in.

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

What's the reason Australia being in this position? Is it vaccine shortage, bureaucracy or something else?

They probably thought they could manage without vaccines due to the low cases. However, after seeing third and fourth waves around the world plus the success of vaccines, they had a change of heart. However, by then the top tier nations already snapped up available doses. Now they are looking at late 2021 delivery.

4 minutes ago, hioctane said:

There is a deep distrust with the people and the government. There is a huge market importing foreign made medicines in.

They probably thought they could manage without vaccines due to the low cases. However, after seeing third and fourth waves around the world plus the success of vaccines, they had a change of heart. However, by then the top tier nations already snapped up available doses. Now they are looking at late 2021 delivery.

They have a second vaccine now as well. Can't imagine the domestic folk distrust their Gov as I think their is a major disinformation and love your country campaign in place. Maybe for the few who have actually travelled. But also they want to travel again and the only way is to take the vaccine to get approved. All a big who knows. .

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's an embarrassingly low number.

Yep. But not on how few cases there are truly and how little transmission from them jumping on it containing it. For me and my family, it is waiting for the J&J vaccine or we will forever hold. Not going anywhere soon anyway. 

Edited by holy cow cm

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yep. But no ton how few cases there are and how little transmission from them jumping on it containing it. For me and my family, it is waiting for the J&J vaccine or we will forever hold. Not going anywhere soon anyway. 

Viruses don't know from borders.