Would you consider Vietnam

shdmn

The last time that I visit Vietnam was in about 1984.  One old local grannie tried to attack me with a knife because she thought I was from the USA (Vietnam war memories).  

Many other locals gave me dirty looks because they thought that I was Russian (Russian 'cooperation' memories!).

I guess things have improved a bit by now ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

The last time that I visit Vietnam was in about 1984.  One old local grannie tried to attack me with a knife because she thought I was from the USA (Vietnam war memories).  

Many other locals gave me dirty looks because they thought that I was Russian (Russian 'cooperation' memories!).

I guess things have improved a bit by now ????

Weren't you attacked by the Thai mafia in Phuket a couple of years ago, which caused you to have to leave Thailand?

Could it be Vietnam has "evolved" faster than Thailand?  ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Vietnam is my Plan B.  I have already chosen the city and the condo block.

Prior to covid, I visited friends there a few times a year.  Vietnam is progressing quite quickly, to the point Vietnam is making Thailand look like it's moving backwards.  

Covid aside, I still like living in Thailand, but the moment the Thai government wants to cause me an ounce of grief, I will be off to Vietnam.  Of course, I can still visit Thailand for several months of the year on visa exempt or a tourist visa.  Flights are cheap and often.  

Visa plan?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You asked for my plan, not the best plan for expat retirees.

I like to travel.  It's nothing for me to catch a festival or sporting event anywhere in South East Asia.  It would simply double as a visa run for me.  This may not be idea for those with mobility issues, but for them, there is the Temporary Resident Card, Business visa (no business needed) and marriage visa (even if she is just your maid)

It sounds all very formal, but like Thailand, "agents" take care of your visa needs, for a price, and that price is cheaper than Thailand.  

Yes, they could change the goal posts in Vietnam, but so can Thailand.  I will deal with it if / when it happens in Thailand, and then deal with it if / when it happens in Vietnam.  

A retirement visa / extension does not give the holder "a right" to reside in Thailand.  It's basically just a 1 year tourist visa.  

Fair enough.

Thanks.

Going for a business visa without a business is fraud and I have heard its not uncommon for Vietnam to view it as such ending that party for expats.

Never heard of their residence card. I'll look that up.

Thailand does offer limited residence security for retirement status but only a year at a time. I'm certainly not saying that Thailand wins the gold medal for residence security but its relative.

Good luck in Vietnam.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Weren't you attacked by the Thai mafia in Phuket a couple of years ago, which caused you to have to leave Thailand?

Could it be Vietnam has "evolved" faster than Thailand?  ????

Luckily the old Vietnamese granny was much slower than me... and she only had a carving knife, whereas the Thais had fast motorbike and guns!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Things happen differently in Vietnam.  It works for corrupt officials, and it works for expats. 

Thailand is no different.  Vietnam immigration is just as liberal with their visa system as Thailand is with prostitution.  ???? 

Cast your mind over the hundreds of thousands of expats that have purchased property and businesses here, taking the risk that Thailand will not change the goal posts.   Hinging their future here on a sticker in a passport.  

You mention Vietnam offers no real retirement visa option, but all Thailand has to do is bring in  compulsory medical insurance and / or seasoned money 1.5 million baht, and many will say that's no real retirement visa either. 

That would make 1 year of tourist visas (and you have to report every 90 days in Thailand anyway) quiet attractive. 

As you say, it's all relative.

I'm in Pattaya and have no plans to move to Vietnam anytime soon.  I freely admit I am in Pattaya for the nightlife.  There is no other place like it.  

Before covid, I visited friends in Vietnam a few times a year and enjoyed it.  I also saw Vietnam progressing, especially their tourism industry. 

In my opinion, Vietnam is now Thailand's biggest competitor in the region, and I can see Vietnam overtaking Thailand for tourism in around 5 to 10 years time, and tourism is a countries best advertisement for future retirees.      

Are you denying that some expats using business visas fraudulently in Vietnam have ended up in big trouble because I've  heard differently?

The idea of entering into a sham marriage for a visa sounds nutty.

I well understand ambiguity about such things but there are limits.

On the subject of offering formal retirement status for expats my opinion is that Vietnam will never offer that. Most countries don't of course. 

Edited by Jingthing

OK. I quickly looked up the temporary residence card. It appears to be only for working and investment. I suppose it would be interesting to know what kinds and levels of investment that they are looking for for that.

OK. Maybe at least 132,000 dollars. 

https://bbcincorp.com/resources/vietnam-investor-visa-guide

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

A friend has a business visa there.  Never had a problem.  

I think I read something in the media a long time ago about a few being arrest for fake visas, or similar, but didn't care too much about it.  

Do you deny farang with work permits do not employ the minimum Thai's in their business? 

I use an agent here, not because I don't have 800k, but because 800k in a Thai bank is a waste.  My 800k invested elsewhere makes more than the agent's fee, plus, it's not at risk in an overleveraged Thai bank.  It's illegal, but been going on for decades. 

I wouldn't do it, but do you deny there are guys in Thailand that married for the 400k requirement so they didn't have to have 800k in the bank?

These guys will love Vietnam with 5 year multiple entry marriage visas for $50USD, no other requirements.  How many guys do you think this visa will attract to Vietnam in the future?

Examples of limits?

I don't know, and don't really care. 

I have nothing in Thailand I can't sell or donate and head to the airport within a matter of hours.  I would be living in Vietnam the same way.  It's by design, to safeguard against decisions made in Bangkok and / or Hanoi.

The bulk of my money and assets are held in my home country, where I am protected by citizenship and rule of law.   

I get the impression you think Thailand's visa system is squeaky clean.  It's not.      

Your impression is wrong. 

Otherwise this has become tiresome. 

As I said my focus is retirement status and residency security. 

In that regard Vietnam would be a step down from Thailand.

Your focus is different and thats fine.

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Oh dear.

So guys in Thailand on student visas for learning Thai at school, who never show up for a class is ok, but a guy in Vietnam who is listed as a teacher who never teaches a class and gets a Temporary Resident Card in not ok.  ????

Geez, rent a shoebox for $100US a month and call it Jing's Bar and there's your business to work in if you really want to be legit.  ????

Vietnam immigration has as much interest in arresting and deporting retired expats as Thailand does arresting Thai prostitutes.  ????

Yeah sure thing. 

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

3 month multiple entry tourist visa extended 3 times within country.  You have to leave after 1 year, but can come straight back in, no "back to back" visa BS. 

I'll visit friends in Thailand and start my 1 year again. 

They offer a Temporary Resident Card for 2 years or 3 years, but given I plan on visiting Thailand within a 12 month period, maybe more than once a year, no point.

Many expats are on a 5 year multiple entry marriage visa for around $50USD, no other hoops.  You don't even need a Vietnam bank account.   

Have you actually done it? I mean staying a year as tourist, etc.... No doubt that a marriage visa is a solution in any country 555

I had VN as a main backup plan here in SEA few years ago when everyone could get a "business visa" for a small fee (that's not an option now AFAIK), but I've never actually thought of stuff like endless tourist visas etc ???? hope it's a "silly me" thing )))

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

in Vietnam,

I'd marry a local girl and have the 5 year VISA for $50.

In Cambodia,

I'd get the $300 retirement VISA for over 50s.

In the Philippines,

I'd just turn up and extend for 3 years in country.

All cheaper and easier options than Thailand.

Marrying is cheaper and easier than Thailand?  Ya gotta be kidding me....

• Like 1

Vietnam remains a communist country which isn't a problem for me but may be so for others. Inflation can be an issue in Vietnam, the currency is not completely under control. Plus there is no rule of law which is a worry if you hold assets in-country. Several people have said the interest rates on term deposits are good but not so if you factor in the inflation rate and the absence of law guaranteeing you can  repatriate funds.