AstraZeneca Covid vaccine will be Thailand’s ‘principal’ shot, says health minister

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The coronavirus shot developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford will be Thailand’s “principal vaccine,” said Anutin Charnvirakul,

The timing on this could have been better.

UK medicines regulator considers issuing new advice over Oxford-AstraZeneca jab

https://www.channel4.com/news/uk-medicines-regulator-considers-issuing-new-advice-over-oxford-astrazeneca-jab

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So are your telling me we will still have a choice if you allow the private hospitals to pursue other vaccines right? Or that only the vaccine you decide in principal will be used and produce yourselves is what we will be allowed to obtain. Sorry, but I think I will wait until I have my choice Mr. Anutin.  

I think that's going to be a very long wait.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Lets  get some perspective instead of  fear mongering. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56620646

The seasonal flu jab has around a one-in-a-million chance of causing the nerve disorder Guillain-Barre syndrome.

So, the real question is: Are the risks worth the benefits?

Even if the vaccine was the cause, and this is still not proven, the numbers suggest around one death in every 2.5 million people vaccinated.

However, this has to be weighed against the known threat posed by coronavirus.

If 2.5 million 60-year-old people caught coronavirus then around 50,000 would die. If they were all 40-year-olds then around 2,500 would die.

This balance of risk and benefit will continue to be assessed as more safety data comes in and as the vaccine programme moves into younger people, who are at lower risk of dying from Covid-19.

2px presentational grey line

One scientist has told the BBC that evidence is growing that the blood clot events are "causally related", although he stressed that the benefits of taking the AstraZeneca vaccine still far outweighed the risks of not getting the jab.

I see no one fear mongering, be that in the Channel 4 news report yesterday or the BBC report you linked to from 2 days ago? Both reports offer the same broad content so whats your point exactly?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

My physician at a private hospital said last Wednesday that he expected the hospital would have as its two choices J&J and Moderna in July.

AFAIK, the government has restricted private companies from importing any vaccines. At least that's what's "hinted at" in some Thai press.

Hopefully your physician is correct, that's a lot more detail than I've been able to gather, which is still limited to "something" being available in Q421 (October at the earliest). And no clue how these might be doled out? Platinum customers? Auction? Credit card promotion? Age/risk/health factors? 

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Just in case  some members  take it as  such, I didnt say YOU were  fear  mongering, am awaiting the stream of  replies  saying I aint takin no vaccine  etc, big  pharma etc etc

Got it, thats always a dilemma when these reports come out but for the majority of people they take them for what they are, transparent reporting which is crucial, whats important is the truth be found.

I agree there is a risk ratio element to consider even if a link were found but in the meantime the scientists as you know are examining the data as best they can but it takes time.

One question I have and its not at all fear mongering but a consideration. If blood clots and deaths as a result of the vaccine are occurring, we are currently only hearing about those cases which have been officially reported. Is it possible there are many other people walking around right now with blood clots and will not know about it till its too late, be that weeks or years from now?

• Like 1

his english in this pre-recorded interview is surprisingly good, that is in sharp contrast to his fame as xenophobic nationalist kicking out from the country dirty farangs and in comparison to his senior cabinet members.

but there is discrepancy in quoted figures. Article states that 150k were vaccinated, but anutin said 250k. Because just a day or two before that figure was only 100k I do suspect, that both figures in the article are grossly inflated.

the going daily rate is some 4k, well below health system capacity, but it's done on purpose, for some unknown reasons. Possibly they keep it for out brakes, but if they rolled out immediately all vax stock, which is 1mln 117k there well might not be any outbrake

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

My physician at a private hospital said last Wednesday that he expected the hospital would have as its two choices J&J and Moderna in July.

Time is running out for us with all these invisible tourist coming. I would still prefer the J&J vaccine but it would nice to have a choice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PFMills said:

He will probably buy anything he can get his hands on as it appears something went wrong in the initial ordering process 

AstraZenica is currently is such demand that supplies are only available through its Indian manufacturer and distributed in Asia through the GAVI/COVAX program.