Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 2/14/2022 at 1:38 PM, THAIJAMES said:

He was correct because you would get more points for having a higher income and PR documents would still be counted as points and you wouldn't be required to sing the national and royal anthem.

Income required for married persons is lower therefore you would have higher points.

Hi James one question. I live in CM too and I'd apply here as well and your experience is really encouraging. Where is the Special Branch in Chiang Mai? Thank you!

Has anyone competed a multiple choice test for this? I am being told that I will need to take a civics test and I’m wording if anyone has this experience. I think it might be a new thing? I’m wondering what questions might be asked, is it difficult etc? 

7 hours ago, moochai87 said:

Has anyone competed a multiple choice test for this? I am being told that I will need to take a civics test and I’m wording if anyone has this experience. I think it might be a new thing? I’m wondering what questions might be asked, is it difficult etc? 

Do u want the test i do have a photo of test i will share with everyone , completed test. SOON

7 minutes ago, moochai87 said:

That would be awesome, yes.

its very easy and multiple questions regarding Thailand,
right now i am not of house, once i reach home , i will bring it out from doc and share  i already filled them as My SB officer gave me to practice,.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:56 AM, aidenai said:

It states your name in English only and has your foreign passport number on it. 

Mine used to have my ID number because I had PR (and so also had name in Thai). Then last time I went to renew I forgot my household reg. So they put my police book number as ID Number ... "3/2555" .... go figure.

I made an appointment months ago to change it; appointment is next week and I'm busy so I cancelled it ... next appointment not for another month, not that I care.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, sinthavee said:

In addition to DL, if one has any vehicles in his name, one should update Nationality in the registration book of those vehicles.

The DLT folk at Sukhumvit 62 who change the details were very helpful, unlike their colleagues in the driving license section. I did couple of cars and couple of motorbikes in less than 2 hours. If you don't read / write Thai you'll need someone with you who does because you have to fill in a request form for each reg book to be amended. Also copies of the RG announcement, household reg and nationality certificate, one set for each vehicle. As far as I can remember, the car people however then didn't take the RG, whereas the bike people did, or something like that. 

And the motorbikes were cheaper than the cars for making exactly the same changes! Not that it was very expensive. 100 baht or something like that per book.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moochai87 said:

If you mean the initial Thailand knowledge test you do at SB, there are different versions of this - I think 3 or 4 sets, each of 10 questions. The questions I had were pretty straightforward, like:

1. Who is the current Interior Minister?

2. Which is Thailand's newest province?

3. How many Generals in the Army (okay, I made this up, it's not a question)

Along these lines. There was only one I had no idea about which was to do with the Nationality Act about hill tribes or something like that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

If you mean the initial Thailand knowledge test you do at SB, there are different versions of this - I think 3 or 4 sets, each of 10 questions. The questions I had were pretty straightforward, like:

1. Who is the current Interior Minister?

2. Which is Thailand's newest province?

3. How many Generals in the Army (okay, I made this up, it's not a question)

Along these lines. There was only one I had no idea about which was to do with the Nationality Act about hill tribes or something like that.

i got only 1 paper for test, i will share asap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Mine used to have my ID number because I had PR (and so also had name in Thai). Then last time I went to renew I forgot my household reg. So they put my police book number as ID Number ... "3/2555" .... go figure.

I made an appointment months ago to change it; appointment is next week and I'm busy so I cancelled it ... next appointment not for another month, not that I care.

The DLT folk at Sukhumvit 62 who change the details were very helpful, unlike their colleagues in the driving license section. I did couple of cars and couple of motorbikes in less than 2 hours. If you don't read / write Thai you'll need someone with you who does because you have to fill in a request form for each reg book to be amended. Also copies of the RG announcement, household reg and nationality certificate, one set for each vehicle. As far as I can remember, the car people however then didn't take the RG, whereas the bike people did, or something like that. 

And the motorbikes were cheaper than the cars for making exactly the same changes! Not that it was very expensive. 100 baht or something like that per book.

I paid 55 Baht for updating my  nationality in the car registration book. For Nationality updation of DL too, the charge was same.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:48 AM, BKKBike09 said:

My alien book number was 1/2540 which dates me. The "1" signified the first book issued at my police precinct that year which was not surprising as it was early January.

I have just been inspired to look at the registration books for the 3 vehicles in my name. Each one is registered under a different nationality: English, British and Thai.  The English one is particularly odd as the section for ID number was left completely blank, even though I already had my 13 digit ID number via PR and must have presented my tabian baan because at that time they would only register vehicles in the name of foreigners with either work permits or PR and I didn't have a work permit then.  Never noticed that before.  I have used copies of these a couple of times to prove ownership when I stupidly lost parking tickets and the guards seemed happy to match up the name with my ID card without mentioning the nationality variance.

I don't think it is much of issue to keep them like this but the nationality will probably have to be updated, if I sell one of the old bangers. I might update the nationalities next time I have to pay the annual tax.  I don't know if that requires ID as I have never done it myself.

As previously mentioned, I have also not updated the nationality on my all of life driving licence, since it doesn't show nationality but does show my 13 digit ID.  However, it is now wearing out and becoming illegible to the point that I may be could not use it to rent a car overseas.  So I will probably go and get a replacement at some point and inform them of my nationality change.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arkady said:

My alien book number was 1/2540 which dates me. The "1" signified the first book issued at my police precinct that year which was not surprising as it was early January.

I have just been inspired to look at the registration books for the 3 vehicles in my name. Each one is registered under a different nationality: English, British and Thai.  The English one is particularly odd as the section for ID number was left completely blank, even though I already had my 13 digit ID number via PR and must have presented my tabian baan because at that time they would only register vehicles in the name of foreigners with either work permits or PR and I didn't have a work permit then.  Never noticed that before.  I have used copies of these a couple of times to prove ownership when I stupidly lost parking tickets and the guards seemed happy to match up the name with my ID card without mentioning the nationality variance.

I don't think it is much of issue to keep them like this but the nationality will probably have to be updated, if I sell one of the old bangers. I might update the nationalities next time I have to pay the annual tax.  I don't know if that requires ID as I have never done it myself.

As previously mentioned, I have also not updated the nationality on my all of life driving licence, since it doesn't show nationality but does show my 13 digit ID.  However, it is now wearing out and becoming illegible to the point that I may be could not use it to rent a car overseas.  So I will probably go and get a replacement at some point and inform them of my nationality change.

I take it got your driving license when they still issued them with lifetime validity. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I take it got your driving license when they still issued them with lifetime validity. 

Yes. Mine was issued in January 2000 and the last date they were issued was 28 July 2003.  Only foreigners with PR were eligible and everyone, Thai or foreigner,  had to have a 1 year licence, then a 3 year licence without criminal traffic convictions before they could apply.  I just showed my UK licence to get my first Thai licence and never did any type of test apart from the colour blind test, as far as I can remember.

The end of all of life licences was well flagged several years in advance.  So many people had the chance to get them before the cut off date.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

Mine was issued on 25 December! I guess that shows Bang Bon wasn't a hot favourite with expat residents.

5 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Mine was issued on 25 December! I guess that shows Bang Bon wasn't a hot favourite with expat residents.

Bang Bon police station, nonetheless, probably has a full time alien registration officer to take care of those 3 registrations a year and their 5 yearly endorsements. Nice work, if you can get it. Mine was issued in Yannawa which probably has a lot of aliens.

On 3/9/2022 at 6:44 AM, onthemoon said:

I will call them again next month, for my 2-year waiting anniversary. ????

Sometimes even SB makes mistake in documents, I suggest you to follow up in person.

I am sure you can take 1 day off from your busy schedule.

Just check in person if all the documents are in order (bring some sweets) ????

Carry all documents, just in case they want to see any.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moochai87 said:

I'm anxiously waiting for this ???? . Anyone else have examples? Also, are all the questions written in Thai?

The questions are written in Thai, they will read them to you. In my case, they just gave me the question sheet and I read them aloud myself before answering.

14 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

One question. I just got the list of requirements to get citizenship but it says I have to สละ renounce my citizenship when I get confirmation I will get the Thai citizenship. Did this happen to you? 

It depends on your Current Nationality and Dual Nationality Treaty.
What is your current Nationality

2 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

I'm Italian

You have to get a statement of 'Intention to renounce Italian citizenship' from your Embassy in Bangkok.

This letter needs to be translated to Thai as well.

• Like 1

Is this a common experience?

I submitted my application to SB on the basis of PR and paid the fee towards the end of last year.  I submitted the remaining documents requested (name reservation +++) in December last year.  I was contacted by a new officer on Saturday, a lady with whom I had not previously been in communication, requesting more documents ahead of fixing an interview (with whom I don't know).  She said the interview would last no more than 1 hour by video call.  Anyhow, the list of documents she is requesting is broadly the same ones that I already submitted at the point of making my original application (there were one or two additional documents asked for - drivers licence and birth certificate).  I pointed out to her that I had already submitted all of these documents last year to SB.  She said the document had been sent to the National Intelligence Agency.  At first I didn't really understand what she was asking for.  It seems she wants me to submit copies of more or less the same set of documents that I already submitted to SB which may either be submitted by Line app, email, or post.  Upon receipt of the said documents she would then arrange for my interview.

Is this common?  Has this happened to other applicants?

Thank for the input in advance.