Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

1 hour ago, khongaeng said:

I was just planning on keeping my old bank accounts in my previous nationality. It makes it much easier to transfer money out of Thailand if you have already set up a “salary transfer account” with your bank. From what I understand Thais have a big problem transferring money out of Thailand unless it is for some very specific reasons and a pile of supporting documents. I have never had a problem transferring large amounts out as a foreigner. 

Does anyone know if it is somehow illegal to maintain your account in your old nationality especially if you maintain your old passport?

I don’t think I bothered to inform Amex but they don’t often ask for your ID. If they asked me to update personal details, I would do so. I also have a couple of bank accounts I hardly ever use that I still haven’t got around to informing. Then there is the case of SCB which refused point blank to change my nationality for no obvious reason. 

If if you want to do automatic overseas remittances of salary you would have to maintain a foreign nationality bank account but for occasional transfers overseas you can get away with doing it from any bank by producing your passport. A couple of times I had to transfer $US10-30k urgently and Bangkok Bank let me withdraw from my account using my ID card remit the funds overseas using my passport and a letter confirming my salary. They said  the  forms go to the Bank of Thailand but no questions ever come back about this type and size of remittance. You can also take cash into a bank and transfer that. Other branches and banks may do things differently.

• Like 1

First off, congrats to Sathuluv! Two years? That's heartening.

I was told by the SB on May 19th or so that I could expect a call about my NIA interview in about three weeks, no guarantee of course. It's been only a month and I am still waiting. I had to go to the US for a quick trip last week so I called my case officer. He said that if the NIA tried and failed to contact me they would return my file to him and he would contact me and then resubmit it. So far that hasn't happened he said. Wondering, what is the average time currently between completing the SB process and the NIA interview?

8 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I was told by the SB on May 19th or so that I could expect a call about my NIA interview in about three weeks, no guarantee of course. It's been only a month and I am still waiting. I had to go to the US for a quick trip last week so I called my case officer. He said that if the NIA tried and failed to contact me they would return my file to him and he would contact me and then resubmit it. So far that hasn't happened he said. Wondering, what is the average time currently between completing the SB process and the NIA interview?

mine was about 4-5 weeks. I think if 6 weeks go by theres a problem. 

21 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Received my Naturalization certificate with 3 certified copies RG announcement from SB Police.

Congratulations.

21 hours ago, sathuluv said:

He smiled and signed off the 2 RG Announcement copies as well.

Guess you meant Naturalisation Certificates. Well done!

• Thanks 1

Anyone knows if getting a copy of the letter that SB sends to MOI with the application documents is a common practice? Have some of you received that -registered mail perhaps?- letter and how long was it after SB transferred the application to MOI?

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

4 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Anyone knows if getting a copy of the letter that SB sends to MOI with the application documents is a common practice? Have some of you received that -registered mail perhaps?- letter and how long was it after SB transferred the application to MOI?

It certainly was when I applied.  I received a copy of the letter from SB by fax and needed to either show it or quote the date of it when I followed up with the MoI in the years it took for them to schedule my interview. The letter was dated a few weeks after my NIA interview.  Things may have changed by now.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:08 PM, qualtrough said:

Mine was about 3 weeks.

7 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

They told me mine was sent 3 months ago, no letter yet.

Trying to figure out the points system with a mate. Totally flummoxed at the moment!

He's looking to apply for citizenship based on a Thai wife (thanks to Arkady and GarryP for your previous PM advice on this).

What I don't understand is how the points system works when singing, and when the need to be a PR is waived.

That brings down the maximum score one can possibly achieve from 100 to 80,  just if we take away the need for PR (max 20 points).

Do I assume that those 20 points are then automatically given, or do they have to get a lower threshold rather than 50 out of 100 points.

Also are Thai language skills requirements totally waived? The reason I ask is that the legislation seems to suggest it, but the reality appears (based on this thread) that you don't have to sing. But there nevertheless are points allocated for being able to speak, read and write. 

Also although a yellow tabieen baan is needed, does length of time having one actually count?

As I said, totally stumped!

20 minutes ago, samran said:

Trying to figure out the points system with a mate. Totally flummoxed at the moment!

He's looking to apply for citizenship based on a Thai wife (thanks to Arkady and GarryP for your previous PM advice on this).

What I don't understand is how the points system works when singing, and when the need to be a PR is waived.

That brings down the maximum score one can possibly achieve from 100 to 80,  just if we take away the need for PR (max 20 points).

Do I assume that those 20 points are then automatically given, or do they have to get a lower threshold rather than 50 out of 100 points.

Also are Thai language skills requirements totally waived? The reason I ask is that the legislation seems to suggest it, but the reality appears (based on this thread) that you don't have to sing. But there nevertheless are points allocated for being able to speak, read and write. 

Also although a yellow tabieen baan is needed, does length of time having one actually count?

As I said, totally stumped!

The threshold remains at 50 points.  Without PR you automatically lose those points leaving only 5 points for residence of not less than 5 years (assuming the points system has not since changed). I believe you have summed up the theory and practice nicely. If I did not gain some points from Thai language ability I would not have had enough points to qualify.  I did not sing the anthems.  

Length of time holding a yellow house registration does not count. I got mine only a few months before I applied.  

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The threshold remains at 50 points.  Without PR you automatically lose those points leaving only 5 points for residence of not less than 5 years (assuming the points system has not since changed). I believe you have summed up the theory and practice nicely. If I did not gain some points from Thai language ability I would not have had enough points to qualify.  I did not sing the anthems.  

Length of time holding a yellow house registration does not count. I got mine only a few months before I applied.  

I have to disagree i received 5 points for having a yellow book over 5 years although he originally did not want to give them... After a chat with his colleague he awarded the 5 points 

10 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I have to disagree i received 5 points for having a yellow book over 5 years although he originally did not want to give them... After a chat with his colleague he awarded the 5 points 

I got 5 and had the yellow book less than a year. Apparently a different interpretation by the officers.

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

I got 5 and had the yellow book less than a year. Apparently a different interpretation by the officers.

And I was told a yellow book could not be counted for points.  Only a blue book after getting PR.  

55 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

And I was told a yellow book could not be counted for points.  Only a blue book after getting PR.  

Sorry, I was less than clear. I did not get the 5 points for having the yellow book. It was also my understanding that you could only get points for residency with a PR and as such I should have not received any points for residency at all. However, if I recall correctly, I was awarded 5 so I assume it was for having residence of not less than five years (even though I did not have PR).   

Edited by GarryP

I have some questions regarding the points system:

1. Speaking and understanding Thai speaking and can sing Thai national anthem and Royal anthem, and can read and write Thai - 15 points.

If you cannot sing the anthems would you still get points for reading and writing?

2. Master’s degree or equivalent - 10 points.  Working for UN, I was awarded masters equivalence based on experience.  What would be the acceptable equivalent for citizenship application and how would you prove it?

I have 2 conflicting documents.  Which one is it for not married PR?

Applicant’s Income Tax Payment

Bt80,000-100,000,

Bt100,001-120,000,

Bt120,001 or more

80,000 to 90,000 – 15 points
90,000 to 100,000 – 20 points
Over 100,000 – 25 points

I know this has been covered before but I am still not clear.

a.  Is this tax before or after deductions for example charity, insurance, etc. (net tax paid?)

b.  if I have a salary of 82K do I qualify for the minimum 15 points?

c.  How is salary averaged over 3 years If I made 82k, 102k, 122K.  Would my average be 102k? or would it be averaged based on net tax paid or gross tax?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by THAIJAMES
update

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Sorry, I was less than clear. I did not get the 5 points for having the yellow book. It was also my understanding that you could only get points for residency with a PR and as such I should have not received any points for residency at all. However, if I recall correctly, I was awarded 5 so I assume it was for having residence of not less than five years (even though I did not have PR).   

Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years but no Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate – 5 points 

Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 5 years – 10 points

Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 7 years – 15 points

Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 10 years – 20 points

27 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

1. Speaking and understanding Thai speaking and can sing Thai national anthem and Royal anthem, and can read and write Thai - 15 points.

If you cannot sing the anthems would you still get points for reading and writing?

I got no points for reading and writing, only for speaking and listening comprehension (8 points). This is because at that time in order to get points for reading and writing you also had to sing the anthems. However, I have been informed that reading and writing is no longer tied to the anthems.  When I applied the point were as follows:

8: Speak and understand spoken Thai

10: speak and understand spoken Thai and sing the anthems

13: speak and understand spoken Thai , sing the anthems and read Thai

15: speak and understand spoken Thai , sing the anthems and read and write Thai

I repeat, this was the points breakdown when I applied in 2012. However, I have been told (unverified) that it has since changed and that points are available for reading and writing separate from the anthems.    

1 hour ago, THAIJAMES said:

2. Master’s degree or equivalent - 10 points.  Working for UN, I was awarded masters equivalence based on experience.  What would be the acceptable equivalent for citizenship application and how would you prove it?

I have 2 conflicting documents.  Which one is it for not married PR?

Applicant’s Income Tax Payment

Bt80,000-100,000,

Bt100,001-120,000,

Bt120,001 or more

90,000 to 100,000 – 20 points
Over 100,000 – 25 points

I know this has been covered before but I am still not clear.

a.  Is this tax before or after deductions for example charity, insurance, etc. (net tax paid?)

b.  if I have a salary of 82K do I qualify for the minimum 15 points?

c.  How is salary averaged over 3 years If I made 82k, 102k, 122K.  Would my average be 102k? or would it be averaged based on net tax paid or gross tax?

Thank you in advance.

May I add one question: Do you have to have this salary on average for the whole year, for all three years for which you hand in taxes, or at the time of application?

Thanks for the responses. So this is what I gather:

- 5 years on a yellow TB will help for a max of 5 points.

- he speaks Thai quite well and can read it, albeit slowly. So that will be judged pretty subjectively I'm guessing, though I see if he can read and do the multi-choice questionaire then that will probably go some way to making sure the officers know he has some sort of reading ability.

- the strict requirements for PR is gone.

- the requirement for not singing is neither here nor there from one perspective, as you will struggle on the points side without at least some reading and speaking ability

- for someone who is married to a Thai, you really want to max out on the education, income, as well as applying during the sweetspot when it comes to age (40-50) - which he is.

15 minutes ago, samran said:

Thanks for the responses. So this is what I gather:

- 5 years on a yellow TB will help for a max of 5 points.

- he speaks Thai quite well and can read it, albeit slowly. So that will be judged pretty subjectively I'm guessing, though I see if he can read and do the multi-choice questionaire then that will probably go some way to making sure the officers know he has some sort of reading ability.

- the strict requirements for PR is gone.

- the requirement for not singing is neither here nor there from one perspective, as you will struggle on the points side without at least some reading and speaking ability

- for someone who is married to a Thai, you really want to max out on the education, income, as well as applying during the sweetspot when it comes to age (40-50) - which he is.

Spot on for the sweet spot.  

The way the language points were issued when I applied was rather disappointing. I was clearly able to read Thai as the knowledge of Thailand test was written in Thai and I had no one assisting me. Yet I got no points for reading because I did not sing the anthems.   

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, yankee99 said:

My income points were based on my 2017 return but the 2 years prior needed to meet the minimum requirements. 

Than you that's very interesting

is this the correct points system:

90,000 to 100,000 – 20 points
Over 100,000 – 25 points

or for married:

40,000 to 45,000 – 15 points
45,000 to 50,000 – 20 points
Over 50,000 – 25 points

22 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Than you that's very interesting

is this the correct points system: