1 million doses of Sinovac vaccine arrive in Thailand

webfact

ae596281b2ea143eb8f102a78c1cec83_small-1.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - The third and biggest lot of COVID-19 vaccine from Sinovac Biotech in China arrived in Thailand, making 1 million more doses of COVID-19 vaccine available to Thai people.

The one million doses of CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine from Sinovac Biotech is the biggest shipment so far from the Chinese manufacturer to Thailand.

Vials of vaccines in their packaging were transported from the aircraft to DKSH’s temperature-controlled warehouse, where they are being kept cool at 2-8 degrees C, while official certification and quality control processes are conducted by the Department of Medical Sciences.

Once cleared, the vaccines will be distributed to healthcare facilities, and will be given to Thai people based on a priority system.

Thailand currently has two vaccine models available in its vaccination program, namely AstraZeneca and Sinovac. As per the current guidelines, Sinovac’s vaccine is given to people aged 18-59 years, while AstraZeneca is given to people aged 60 years or older. This system is expected to change once the bulk of AstraZeneca vaccine becomes available for mass vaccination around May to June.

The Thai government, through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), initially placed an order for two million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine from Sinovac, with the first delivery of 200,000 doses made on 24th February, while the second delivery of 800,000 doses arrived on 22nd March, and the third shipment of 1 million doses arrived today.

The government has now directed the GPO to secure 500,000 additional doses from Sinovac, which are expected to arrive by the end of this month.

As of 2nd April, around 200 million shots of Sinovac’s COVID-19 vaccine have been given to people around the world, including China, Singapore, Brazil, Turkey, Indonesia, Cambodia, the Philippines, Brunei, and Thailand, while Sinovac has has been listed as a top ten manufacturer with the greatest number of COVID-19 vaccine orders.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

500,000 additional doses from Sinovac

More orders flooding in. C.P. rubbing their hands with glee after their investment in this vaccine company is paying them huge dividends. I wonder how many of Thailand's Ministers have associations with C.P. Thailand largest company?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brommers said:

So get ready for a huge failure of the vaccination programme.

No need that happened months ago when they committed to Sinovac and a factory here thats never produced vaccines in its life before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, davemos said:

Reuters reports that China is trying to cover the fact that Sino vac is less than 50% effective .

You know the Chinese should have the best vaccine in the world but they don't. They copy everything good for the  markets, yet not a good vaccine, not even for their own people, why?

• Like 1

that's great.

but still some 617k vials are in stock, some arrived on 24.2, some on 23.3.

Might take many months for those 1mln to be administered.

The second dose suppose to be given after 2 weeks, but yet another few weeks, before body produces more antibodies.

the other problem is that sinovac is not very effective for the cambodian strain.

If thailand had several different in stock several different vax, it would be possible to mix them to the prevalent strain

Edited by internationalism

2 hours ago, Suua said:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/int ... eness-low/

BEIJING (AP) — In a rare admission of the weakness of Chinese coronavirus vaccines, the country’s top disease control official says their effectiveness is low and the government is considering mixing them to give them a boost.

Just place them beside the bomb detectors and the airship. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, davemos said:

Reuters reports that China is trying to cover the fact that Sino vac is less than 50% effective .

Would you recommend I don't get this one and wait for a better one?

I know nothing about vaccines. 

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Why do they have to lay in bed with that government.

Their lifestyle becomes a lot more comfortable. If I were working for a government salary, I would do the same. Wouldn't you?

Edited by Neeranam

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Nope. I have some morals from who I take handouts from. 

Well you wouldn't have a very successful career. But at least your kids could go to the temple school and be proud of you.