Mitsubishi Motors to cut output in Japan and Thailand due to chip shortage

webfact

2021-04-12T083342Z_1_LYNXMPEH3B0FT_RTROPTP_4_NISSAN-GHOSN-MITSUBISHIMOTORS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The logo of Mitsubishi Motors Corp is displayed at the company's showroom in Tokyo, Japan January 18, 2019. REUTERS/Issei KatoFILE PHOTO: The logo of Mitsubishi Motors Corp is displayed at the company's showroom in Tokyo, Japan January 18, 2019. REUTERS/Issei Kato

TOKYO (Reuters) - Mitsubishi Motors Corp will cut production by a combined 7,500 vehicles at three plants in Japan and Thailand in April, it said on Monday, citing chip shortages.

The company is examining whether there will be more production cuts in May, a company spokeswoman added.

(Reporting by Eimi Yamamitsu; Editing by David Goodman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-04-13

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Citing chip shortages... more likely order book shortages.

Using a " Chip shortage " as a cop out, this would be a good time to trim production if orders are poor.

This may be a good time to bring it Home for Mitsubishi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

More failed companies:

Ford recently cancelled shifts at two car plants and said profits could be hit by up to $2.5bn this year due to chip shortages, while Nissan is idling output at plants in Mexico and the US. General Motors said it could face a $2bn profit hit.

Car manufacturers, who cut chip orders as vehcle sales fell last year, found themselves at the back of the queue when they tried to reorder when the market rebounded. The entire global car industry buys about $37bn worth of chips, with the biggest players such as Toyota and Volkswagen spending more than $4bn each, making them relative minnows for semiconductor suppliers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/21/global-shortage-in-computer-chips-reaches-crisis-point

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Nissan is idling output at plants in Mexico and the US. General Motors said it could face a $2bn profit hit.

Nissan is  on the  point of bankruptcy and  Gm is  hardly a beacon  having failed  a  decade or so ago, Mitsubishi and  Nissan  both doomed, I do  know there is a chip shortage but these two companie s Nissan/ Mitsubishi are  doomed  anyway.

This is a tricky one.

I spent most of my professional life in the semiconductor equipment business, and I watched as production moved from the vertically integrated companies to the fabless design and foundry model.

The outcome being that 50% plus of the worlds semiconductors, while not designed there, are manufactured by TSMC in Taiwan, another 18% by Samsung in Korea.

If you think this is bad, imagine what happens if the inevitable happens and mainland China makes it's move on Taiwan!

I have lived in both Shanghai and Taipei heading up our local organizations.

In recent years I've watched Taiwanese friends go from optimist of a peaceful reunification along the lines of the original HK handover to abject dread.

If what I think is the inevitable, given the current aggressive Beijing posturing, you all better be prepared for things to get a whole lot worse

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is a tricky one.

I spent most of my professional life in the semiconductor equipment business, and I watched as production moved from the vertically integrated companies to the fabless design and foundry model.

The outcome being that 50% plus of the worlds semiconductors, while not designed there, are manufactured by TSMC in Taiwan, another 18% by Samsung in Korea.

If you think this is bad, imagine what happens if the inevitable happens and mainland China makes it's move on Taiwan!

I have lived in both Shanghai and Taipei heading up our local organizations.

In recent years I've watched Taiwanese friends go from optimist of a peaceful reunification along the lines of the original HK handover to abject dread.

If what I think is the inevitable, given the current aggressive Beijing posturing, you all better be prepared for things to get a whole lot worse

I  think the U.S  would step in if China made a move to  fully  take  Taiwan and you'd  hope other countries would step up to the plate to.