Warning of summer storms and heavy rain throughout Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

D03CB0BC-C7BC-4760-B230-496AC871DC2B.jpe

Reuters File photo

The Thai Meteorology Department (TMD) has warned of severe adverse weather and summer storms for much of the next week.

TMD expects storms across much of Thailand but mainly in the North until Friday.

"From 26 to 30 April, outbreaks of thunderstorms with gusty winds, hail, and isolated heavy rains, are possible in the upper country", the TMD said.

People should beware of the severe conditions by avoiding from outdoor places, big trees, unsecured buildings and billboards. Farmers should prepare for crop damage. 

The storms are the result of a high-pressure system from China.

Throughout the rest of Thailand, provinces can expect hot to very hot temperatures and haze during the day. The TMD said temperatures will range from 36°C to 40°C.

The news comes as the Meteorology Department recorded its highest temperature of the year in Thailand on Saturday (24 April).

The TMD said Mae Hong Son reached 40.7 °C, while Lampun (39.6°C) and Lampang (39.4°C) also recorded yearly highs. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Thai Meteorology Department (TMD) has warned of severe adverse weather and summer storms for much of the next week.

I hope the administration for Pattaya are taking note and opening all valves in preparation as we don't want any flooding ...............LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Wettest April since I came here 11 years ago--as far as I can remember.

Exactly. Last night the winds came up at dusk, followed by lightning, loud thunder & rain. Nice purple lightning too. This year only two weeks of serious smoke smog, Chiang Mai has had an outstanding hot season. 

• Like 2

I welcome the storm and rain which will cool down the weather. The weather is too hot nowadays. I am sweating even after switching on the air-cond.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very un-April like here in Phuket.   Raining here nearly every day, sometimes heavy, which has helped reduce average day time temperatures to the high 20's rather than the more usual mid to high 30's.   April was always a killer for high humidity, but again this hasn't happened, bordering on 'pleasant' and sweat free days.   Hopefully more of the same in May.

The lack of tourists has meant demand on water resources again has been negligible, plus the regular rain fall has meant a drought isn't on the horizon this year.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The storms are the result of a high-pressure system from China

Do we get everything from China now?

Plastic rubbish via Lazada, water down the Mekong from Chinese dams, Covid from Wuhan???

And now the weather.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 2

I love Chinese weather. Always means cool or wet. I have to say that I'm very impressed with the weather thingy associated with my Windows Edge browser. I knew of this upcoming weather a week or more ago, and it's almost always very accurate in its predictions. Didn't warn of some rain a few days ago though.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Do we get everything from China now?

Plastic rubbish via Lazada, water down the Mekong from Chinese dams, Covid from Wuhan???

And now the weather.

Even Thai's say all the Sh@@e come from China

• Haha 1

It just goes to show that the Thai Government cannot supply anything and the Thai people cannot do any work because everything has to come from China including the instructions for the Thai government on how to mishandle the Covid-19 virus because China was not successful at that, they controlled it, unlike their partners (America) in the Wuhan lab.

On 4/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, Tropicalevo said:

More good news from the people that brought us Covid.

Are you sure of that? Perhaps some research into the funding of the laboratory in China would help. I guess bats were to blame though, I mean that is logical, the media said so, it must be right. Corona encompasses many viruses including colds. Open the mind, cogitate and explore outside the confines of the box.

• Sad 1