Face masks mandatory in Bangkok - even in your own car, BMA confirms

Jonathan Fairfield

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Headline fails to explain the in car requirement is only if you have a passenger with you.

They are nto requiring people driving alone to wear a mask inside their car, that would be ridiculous.

The detail is in the article. Do you want the whole article to be the headline? 

I order one of those.

Police: Hey, Khun farang, got ya.

Me: What for

P: Mask, 20k please maak maak

M: P... off

P: No mask, pay now or I take you to office.

M: Can't you see the mask?

Go to Specsavers.

F2C69607-B1C1-4BAF-8F66-77DB391CB6BE.jpeg

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No-one internationally has the slightest interest in an insignificant SE Asian backwater, a country that has no impact on anything at all in the world and which is best known, if anyone gives the country any thought at all, as a place of ladyboys and prostitutes.

Thailand hasn't completely escaped international attention -

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/asia/thailand-covid-19.html

THAILAND DISPATCH

Phuket Was Poised for Tourism Comeback. A Covid Surge Dashed Those Hopes.

Phuket, one of Thailand’s top tourist havens, had an ambitious plan to reopen to the world this summer. But with a spike in cases, the island’s desperate situation is unlikely to end anytime soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Surely it would be more sensible to stop all public travel Eg. Planes and buses, trains, close factories where people are in close contact with each other. Masks do offer a good level of protection when everyone complies but they are not 100% effective. There is the touch to touch transfer and handling money has often been associated with the transfer of disease. Hence alcohol cleaning of hands. Workers working on a production line the it goes to the next area who touch the same place.  I don't think the government have their priorities right. Are the markets still open? I think it would be better if supermarkets were open for longer not shorter and numbers controlled on entry.

Two weeks and we should see some improvement. Oh and the USA will have an excess of Astra Zeneca vaccine available soon for export. Pull your finger out PM and get on the phone. 

3 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Thailand must have moved to the west while I was not looking. Thailand has the largest case of me, me , me, self, self, self that I've encountered worldwide. From push and shove jumping queues, loud music, throw your litter anywhere to my car is bigger than yours get out of my way. Thailand is not a community of 70 million it is 70 million individuals all fighting to be top dog. 

That's because there are far too many germans with Thai girls.

Me, me ..... nothing, than me again.

Smoke and Mirrors.

Distraction and Misdirection as always by any government wishing to detract true actions or in this case....lack of action.

No vaccines arriving and no tourists coming, no students protesting; but let's give our police and the masses something to consider and debate. 

When we are required to wear 1/2 or full face respirators  with cartridges.... then it may be time to leave. 

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Headline fails to explain the in car requirement is only if you have a passenger with you.

They are nto requiring people driving alone to wear a mask inside their car, that would be ridiculous.

Ridiculous also starting to drive home tomorrow. Koh Samui to Chiang Mai with wife and Daughter. Mask in the car, an enclosed space with family members who live together? Step outside the car and we are in “public space” with mask, but in the car? Same as being in the current resort room ... critical thinking skills lacking ...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I agree, but is there any logic in it if the passenger is your own wife with whom you sleep and potentially BmBm from time to time?

1 minute ago, jomtienisgood said:

I agree, but is there any logic in it if the passenger is your own wife with whom you sleep and potentially BmBm from time to time?

I finally got the logic behind this.

It's the mia-noi effect.

Ladies, married or having a BF, sometimes are mia-nois and family should be protected, hence, when going back to family, everyone must wear a mask.

Same for men, having mia-nois.

Easy peasy to understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Of course not. I was just clarifying as the headline made it sound like even a person alone in a car had to be masked.

15 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Police observing people inside a car not wearing masks have no way of telling if they are family members living together or not.

I am reading the statement as not mattering if family members or not ... which makes it ridiculous. Simple minds looking for simple answers apparently.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Wearing a face mask is ridiculous, period.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

My glasses steam up if I wear a face mask. Particularly in a car with the aircon on. This makes driving..... awkward.

I know for a fact that I'm not alone with this. It is a well documented problem. Yet the powers that be here seem to be completely unaware of it.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the interior of my car is as much my own personal space as that of my house.

Maybe you should Google  " How to keep my glasses from foging while wearing a mask "  or drop down to your local auto shop and pick up a pack of anti fog windshield wipes .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It appears that a lot of TVF members cannot see why they need to wear a mask in their car when they have a passenger and they say that it is their wife and they sleep with them with no mask. Well, how do the police know it is your wife and not just someone that you are giving a lift to the shopping mall.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Subjecting young children to mask wearing is backed by what researched, peer reviewed scientific evidence?

Children will be ripping them off their faces, and are child masks freely available?

Kids are wearing masks without issue as far as I can see 

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Subjecting young children to mask wearing is backed by what researched, peer reviewed scientific evidence?

Children will be ripping them off their faces, and are child masks freely available?

Based on this and other factors such as childrens’ psychosocial needs and developmental milestones, WHO and UNICEF advise the following:

Children aged 5 years and under should not be required to wear masks. This is based on the safety and overall interest of the child and the capacity to appropriately use a mask with minimal assistance.

And yes masks  for children are readily available in Thailand. I grabed a children's pack by mistake  and since  the masks wee too small for me to wear I gave to my brother-in-law for his kids.