Thailand aiming to procure 100 million COVID-19 vaccine doses this year

snoop1130

1b3b6d553b52fca4b806f0abc4c3cec7_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s COVID-19 vaccine procurement target is 100 million doses this year. Currently, the country has 2.5 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine and is planning to order another 1 million doses, which should arrive in the middle of next month.

Some 26 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is being produced in Thailand, will be ready between June and August. Another 35 million doses will be delivered between September and December.

The country is planning to procure 35 million more doses. The private sector is to help the government in procuring 10 million to 15 million doses of Pfizer and Russia’s Sputnik V vaccines, which will be administered to their employees.

From February 28 to April 25, 1,149,666 doses were given to Thai people in 77 provinces, with 972,204 people receiving their first shots, and 177,462 people receiving their second shots.

Concerning the supply of antiviral drug favipiravir, used in treating COVID-19 patients, the Facebook page of Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, posted a message at about 1 a.m. today (Apr 26), saying two million favipiravir tablets have arrived from Narita International Airport in Japan to Thailand. The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) will distribute them to health facilities according to the Public Health Emergency Operation Center’s allocation plan. Thailand is set to receive another 1 million favipiravir tablets next month. The GPO will also order two million to three million more tablets.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-04-26

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Maybe that is why they went with the Chinese vaccines ... easier to inflate the pricing vs Pfizer or one of the other brands ....?

And of course production of AZ in Thailand as they could do want they want with no checks and balances.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Ordering another 1 million doses of the Chinese vaccine that is anywhere from 50 - 84% effective depending on which report you read?  I don't, honestly, understand why the government didn't contract with Pfizer on Day 1?  Or Moderna?  

From memory of events I seem to recall  POTUS of the day declared "its all ours and you aint  gettin any! 

I wonder if things get desperate, if Thailand would pull and India and refuse to export the vaccines until the population is vaccinated?

I'm asking this question because the AZ vaccine has proven, in Europe, to be difficult to manufacture compared to the mRNA ones. Europe has been reporting a big shortfall in AZ vaccines. 

• Like 1

'Thailand aiming to procure 100 million COVID-19 vaccine doses this year'

And that right there in bold is all you need to see!

By the way I am aiming to win the lottery and I think I probably have a better chance of success than these clowns have in delivering on their aims this year!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

From February 28 to April 25, 1,149,666 doses were given to Thai people in 77 provinces, with 972,204 people receiving their first shots, and 177,462 people receiving their second shots.

It would be interesting to know just where the doses have gone (ie BKK, provinces ,,, ) & the categories of people receiving.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

From memory of events I seem to recall  POTUS of the day declared "its all ours and you aint  gettin any! 

Well he is gone and some states are reporting a surplus, so there hasn't been any reason stopping Thailand from ordering from Pfizer in weeks or even months, Trump couldn't have stopped Pfizer from selling to Thailand at the end of the day anyhow.  Thailand decided to buy from China for whatever reason they decided ... 

My own opinion ... I am certainly not getting a Chinese made vaccine.  Covid's country of origin = China.  Vaccine's county of origin = China.  Seems a little too suspicious!  (LOL just kidding!  Maybe.  Kinda!)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Well he is gone and some states are reporting a surplus, so there hasn't been any reason stopping Thailand from ordering from Pfizer in weeks or even months, Trump couldn't have stopped Pfizer from selling to Thailand at the end of the day anyhow.  Thailand decided to buy from China for whatever reason they decided ... 

My own opinion ... I am certainly not getting a Chinese made vaccine.  Covid's country of origin = China.  Vaccine's county of origin = China.  Seems a little too suspicious!  (LOL just kidding!  Maybe.  Kinda!)

Unfortunately the new  guy has kept the same policy described as the "strategy of  abundance".

There is about 20 million doses of AZ residing somewhere unused buuuut yah knows how it goes !

• Like 1

There was also this tidbit in the news today regarding private companies being able to register to provide their own employees with vaccines at their own expense:

Firms can register for vaccine procurement from today

The Thai Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade website on Monday opened registration for private companies who wish to procure Covid-19 vaccine at their own expense for their employees.

The scheme will allow private companies to vaccinate their staff so that they can restart operations as soon as possible and help speed up recovery of the economy, said the chamber.

“We will coordinate with related government authorities to import vaccine that meets Thai regulations, and at a reasonable price. The distribution of the imported vaccine will be supervised by the Private Hospital Association Thailand.”

The Thai Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade of Thailand are also looking for private companies who wish to contribute to the procurement and distribution of Covid-19 vaccine in Thailand. To procure the vaccine for employees, visit https://thaichamber.org/question/159. To make a contribution, fill in the form at https://thaichamber.org/question/158.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000238

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s COVID-19 vaccine procurement target is 100 million doses this year. Currently, the country has 2.5 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine and is planning to order another 1 million doses, which should arrive in the middle of next month.

Jesus H Christ... they are so far off the mark it's almost unbelievable, totally inadequate government planning,

The PM and health minister should be jointly ashamed of themselves.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mark131v said:

'Thailand aiming to procure 100 million COVID-19 vaccine doses this year'

And that right there in bold is all you need to see!

By the way I am aiming to win the lottery and I think I probably have a better chance of success than these clowns have in delivering on their aims this year!!

Tough to hit anything if you are blind and dumb!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

Ordering another 1 million doses of the Chinese vaccine that is anywhere from 50 - 84% effective depending on which report you read?  I don't, honestly, understand why the government didn't contract with Pfizer on Day 1?  Or Moderna?  

Those companies are not Chinese.

• Like 1