How do UK tourists get spending money in Thailand nowadays?

When asked, I couldn't answer this question.  ( I use Swift transfer to my bank accounts in Thailand ).

1.  Nobody cashes travellers' cheques in Pattaya anymore.
2.  Visa / Mastercard have very expensive costs for getting cash.
3.  Building Society cards e.g.  Nationwide / Halifax  also charge 200 baht  fees + poor fx rates at ATM's 
4.  Carry huge wads of sterling to money exchangers  (surely not in 2021) ?? 

Maybe the OP should look at a more economic way to move his own personal funds from the UK to Thailand. As Ubonjoe noted, Wise has many adherents, and for good reason. Their GBP mid market rates take some beating, even with the incremental nature of their charges.

Having done that, the clear advise to any long-term / multi visit UK tourist to Thailand would be to open a local bank account and use Wise to fund local expenses. Ye cannae whack it!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

3.  Building Society cards e.g.  Nationwide / Halifax  also charge 200 baht  fees + poor fx rates at ATM's 

The Monzo Bank Debit Card is good value, card transactions use the Mastercard exchange rate with no additional fees.

The Bht200 charge at Thai ATMs is levied by the Thai bank not the UK banks/building societies, they'll just screw you on the exchange rate and possibly charge you a flat fee too.

Monzo give the Mastercard exchange rate, with no charges (except the local ATM) for £200 per 30 days, beyond that they mug you.

I like my Monzo card because I don't need to tell them where I am, they won't block the card because you're in Timbuctoo. I guess they rely on the feedback through the app to alert them to something fraudulent. 

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a UK bank account and a Thai bank account Wise (formally TransferWise) is a low cost way to do it.

Yes, this is the by far the best option, if no Thai bank account, then a Wise Debit Card would be a good option, though again the local banks charge for use of the ATM.

• Like 1

Credit card with no overseas or foreign currency transaction charges used to get a cash advance over bank counter.

No ATM charge and the Visa or Mastercard exchange rate, which is excellent and the same as you would get if you used an ATM and declined the rate it offered.  If you've one of each then a backup if one system is down.

An extra backup (for emergencies only) of a wad of cash.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 12:02 PM, dabhand said:

Maybe the OP should look at a more economic way to move his own personal funds from the UK to Thailand. As Ubonjoe noted, Wise has many adherents, and for good reason. Their GBP mid market rates take some beating, even with the incremental nature of their charges.

Having done that, the clear advise to any long-term / multi visit UK tourist to Thailand would be to open a local bank account and use Wise to fund local expenses. Ye cannae whack it!!

The threads not about me, but regarding TransferWise .......
I appreciate the  advice, but it's too late for this old f@rt.    

I started a Swift transfer annually from UK to Kbank long ago when it was 77 baht/pound

It costs me 20 quid once a year. Usually funds received next day, no fuss. 
All done online.  Most folks know that anyway.

The exchange rate is what it is, I gave up trying to catch that falling knife. 5555

Thanks for the  visitors' options.
Without a Thai bank account it looks costly.

If you have 'bank accounts' in Thailand, this is not usual for a UK tourist.

Most tourists would use their normal credit/debit card.

Some will use prepaid credit cards which only make a small charge for cash withdrawals.

£130 transferred yesterday turned into 5620Bt with a £0.50 charge (plus the 200Bt ATM fee). That works out at 43.23/£ excluding the ATM fee.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, johnnybgood said:

4.  Carry huge wads of sterling to money exchangers  (surely not in 2021) ?? 

Ha....Surely not......but yes that is the best away........exchange rate on the street beats anything the banks etc will offer you.

• Like 2

Nowadays, most tourists I know just use their cards. They pay big items (such as hotel bills and flights) directly to collect points or miles and withdraw as little cash as possible, so in the big scheme of things, withdrawal fees don't amount to much. Foreign cash from back home only as a backup. 

For a tourist, get a fee free Credit card. I use Halifax Clarity but there are others. I go to the bank once a month and do a counter withdrawal (not available at all banks and branches) - no fees from the card or the Thai bank. just Mastercard exchange rate for the day. Money earlier this week got a rate of 43.33 baht to the pound - better even than Wise and i get my money on demand when i want it. Just remember to pay off your credit card ASAP to minimise interest charges (use internet banking).

Can use an ATM but you pay a fee (150-200 baht) and limit is 20-30,000 baht a go.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 4:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you have a UK bank account and a Thai bank account Wise (formally TransferWise) is a low cost way to do it.

Topic here about transferring from Canada but there is not much different.

I have used Wise twice. They are an efficient cost effective service.

6 hours ago, Farmerkev said:

If you have foreign cash and a Thai bank its easy to do, however, they will deposit it into your account now not give you the cash as mine did (bangkok bank)

Would you rather have they deposit it in someone else Bank account?? 555555

On 4/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, johnnybgood said:

The threads not about me, but regarding TransferWise .......
I appreciate the  advice, but it's too late for this old f@rt.    

I started a Swift transfer annually from UK to Kbank long ago when it was 77 baht/pound

It costs me 20 quid once a year. Usually funds received next day, no fuss. 
All done online.  Most folks know that anyway.

The exchange rate is what it is, I gave up trying to catch that falling knife. 5555

Thanks for the  visitors' options.
Without a Thai bank account it looks costly.

I think that you have been informed, clearly I might add, that it isn't all costly even without a local bank account. It seems that you just skipped over that post directly before yours.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, Eindhoven said:

I think that you have been informed, clearly I might add, that it isn't all costly even without a local bank account. It seems that you just skipped over that post directly before yours.

Sorry you are correct,  due to the sheeeyit added by the constant, constant posters, I did speed read a lot of the replies.

As an example, here are the costs of a generic uk building society card.

Anyone have experience of a Revolut card in Thailand ?