Fines for not wearing masks outside: Police can use their discretion, says RTP spokesman

webfact

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You should have filmed it and put it on social media mate, seems to get the job done these days. Shame the man-children into action. 

Coming soon if  don't hear anything within the next 10  days, got to give them time to investigate, Its  all on 1080p  good quality video already inc his  face his  car registration number his machete and the reason he did it,  tried to  jump the queue  at traffic  lights turning right where theres  only  one lane by using the straight on lane and then when he couldnt  cut  in on me got  the  hump started  bibbing his  horn then proceeded to try and overtake me and cut me off before getting out and waving his machete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Please tell us more details Gunder.   Where did this happen and what were the circumstances leading up to it?

Did the police arrive and if so who called them?

Curious minds would like to know.

I already  posted it  once although it was  buried  in another thread, am waiting to see if the BIB do anything or  not before I go down and ask them  if  I wave  a  machete at someone will that be ok, probably say yes if I wear a mask. 

32 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

My wife says that we also need to use the masks while we are both in the car she is driving :  if that is true we must also use a mask in the house because we sleep in the same bed

She is right about in the car it is listed in the new regulations.  If you are alone in the car you must have one available but no need to wear one, obviously the need is for when you roll the window down to pay the toll on the tollway, or to talk to the checkpoint police.  In the house that is just true sarcasm in your post, but I can see the mask police checking on you....lol.  My condo now has a rule in place that anytime you are in the common area, ie...taking the trash into the stairwell you need to wear one when you leave your unit. Always had to wear them in the lifts and the main common areas except while swimming and in the gym, but alas the gym and pool is closed again as well as the park.

3 hours ago, Whale said:

Thai price and foreigner price? 

If you wore a mask. they would not be able to tell you are a foreigner, and you would not have to pay a higher price for being a foreigner and not wearing a mask. ???? That way you kill one bird with three stones. If your aim is better than mine. 

I think my long term behavior has been changed by the mask mandates. Despite today's humidity being an example of just how uncomfortable a mask can be in this climate, I think I'll continue to use them even after Covid comes under control. Avoiding colds and the flu over the past year has been something I want to maintain. Besides, the air quality isn't going to get better.

• Like 2

of course they can count "one for them and one for for me.

there will be more stops than ever before! they will actually have a reason to work all month!!

a perfect ingordigiousness!!!

will they let you go for no helmet??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

But police might reduce this for children under two

They ought to tackle the BMA for spreading misinformation then. The official announcement about mask wearing in Bangkok stated clearly:

"In the case of children aged under 2: medical advice is not to wear masks, because children are not yet familiar with how to remove a mask which could cause lack of air to breathe and could be fatal. Thus they are eligible for exemption and do not have to wear a mask. However taking small children into crowded places or those areas where there is a risk of disease spreading should be avoided".

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 09.53.15.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

In spite of all the anti police comments on this thread I for one had a serious accident and the help ,courtesy and sympathy shown to me was exceptional My kind regards to the Hang dong police

You're right, but seems giving credit to the police is no sexy here on TV.

I've seen the police giving much reduced fines with receipt issued as the culprits were low earning villagers. I've seen police officers paying the fine when the culprits didn't have any money on them. Hey, I've even seen a checkpoint commander gifting 200b to 2 teenagers who were in the way to visit family members for new year. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Passed through two sets of traffic lights in CM this morning that are normally number countdowns.

Today they were switched off and under the controlof officers. Maybe just paranoid--- but!

Definitely just paranoid. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But police might reduce this for children under two, those who really cannot help themselves and those with an inability to pay, reported INN news. 

Both the American CDC and the WHO say that children under two should not be wearing masks anyway.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

You're right, but seems giving credit to the police is no sexy here on TV.

I've seen the police giving much reduced fines with receipt issued as the culprits were low earning villagers. I've seen police officers paying the fine when the culprits didn't have any money on them. Hey, I've even seen a checkpoint commander gifting 200b to 2 teenagers who were in the way to visit family members for new year. 

When I went to report my incident the Policeman  at his desk was very busy  watching tv  on his  phone, I stood  3  foot  from him for 10  minutes, he didnt even  look  up to acknowledge I was there but did  manage to adjust the phone numerous times.

I had to walk out go  up the road 3  km's to the nearest Police box to report it there who then called  the main Police station where Id  just been to tell them I was reporting a crime, That's a machete in the photo.

Their standards are famous even amongst Thais.

20210428_135509.jpg

Edited by gunderhill

7 hours ago, fvw53 said:

My wife says that we also need to use the masks while we are both in the car she is driving :  if that is true we must also use a mask in the house because we sleep in the same bed

I told my wife that and she wanted to know who was going to check ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, WineOh said:

20,000 baht to the average Thai is a lot of money.

If we are taking into account that the national minimum wage is 320 baht, that is a whopping 62 times a locals daily salary.

Either the authorities have got the fine structure all wrong or they are specifically looking at targeting wealthy westerners.   

You are paranoid, or have excess self-importance. 

Rest assured, foreigners were not thought about when deciding the fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HomeBirth said:

Look, I do not care what any studies say.
Fact is, when I wear a mask I get symptoms of carbon dioxide intoxication and lack of oxygen. I have severe Asthma and a bit of COPD.

People like you are the biggest problem of nowadays society. I bet you would call yourself full of solidarity, while actually you are an intolerant human-hating being.

Sorry.

I'm skeptical.

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Whats the fine for threatening someone with a machete? Im still waiting on the Police to get back to me on that one, from the other day , which is  odd  because  i  think if  i  got  out of  my car and threatened a  Thai with a machete it  may be a  slightly  different "cue mad farang threatens Thai nationwide tv event" + he wasnt wearing a mask, expect the mask wearing is the serious  issue  though, maybe I should go back to the Police and mention that

loony.jpg

He threatened you with a machete without a reason?

Or what is the pre-story exactly?

14 hours ago, jvs said:

So you can walk around naked but with a mask,500 baht fine.

Walk around naked ,also no mask,6500 baht fine.

Wear your clothes and no mask,6000 baht fine.

Ride your motorbike while wearing only a mask,how much would that be?

Lots of options here,choose wisely.

What's the fine for walking around with nothing but undershorts, but wearing them on your face? 

With regards to machetes, I used to carry one in my my backpack because I worked with farmers in the boondocks.  One time on a night bus I caused a scene at a police/military checkpoint (martial law back around 1978).  It was in my carry on luggage, in and amongst my wife's undergarments.  I told them big deal, all kinds of kids in Isaan go to school with a knife and play with it in the classroom. It was about like Crocodile Dundee's knife and just as sharp.  555

Another time years later on a visit I bought one in downtown Loei market and it was wrapped in newspaper.  Corner cop asked about it and I asked him how the hell can I get it back to the house if I don't carry it? That was sufficient to get a few of his brain cells rubbing together and I carried it home.  My good looks, pleasant demeanor and crappy language skills got me through these encounters.  ????(Or was it having a U.S. Embassy/Thai ID the first time? Do you know who I am? 555)

"He assured the public that police would use their good sense and discretion"?? ???????????????? I am now waiting for some plod to try and fine me for doing my daily exercise cycle runs without wearing a mask.

Thai police using their "good sense and discretion"????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, anchadian said:

I'm sure there are exceptions such as a broken or stuffed nose or those with underlying health conditions affecting their breathing whilst wearing a mask.

Yes of course.

Plod. "I am fining you 6000 Bt for not wearing a mask"

" But I cannot wear a mask, my nose is stuffed".

Plod. "Right stand up straight and hold your head back so I can check".

Thailand have 150 COVID-19 deaths since last year and 5,250 road fatalities so far this year... maybe they should raise the fees for not following the traffic rules too so that people start wearing helmets and stop drunk driving?!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Anyone know how much the authorities get for promoting hand sanitizer and water ? You never see a bottle facing away from the camera 

8pm.jpg

Saw small bottles of hand sanatizer for 150Bt in a 7-11, I wonder how much the markup is. I am sure something very much cheaper would do the same job, ie bleach, soapy water etc