Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

On 5/31/2021 at 11:28 AM, Jingthing said:

Provinces have been tasked with developing their own provincial online registration tool to replace the defunct national one.

Chonburi, what about that?

You should be more careful on how you post, the article you quoted never said Mor Phrom was "defunct" and I can assure it is not. If it is not accepting registrations it is certainly being used to send out information and updates to appointments.

Chonburi had an online facility for registration before Mor Phrom was introduced and my wife registered us both on that, subsequently I was registered on Mor Phrom by the hospital. Yesterday my wife got a call to go and pick up her appointment card, for the 29th, and she saw my name next to hers with June 7th. She spoke to the lady and was told the provincial registrations are linked to Mor Phrom to avoid double booking and that I had chosen the June 7th date. That must have been the result of a phone call we had from the village head.

My sister in law did her appointment on Mor Phrom, for 14th June, and she had a message this morning to say it was postponed and would be advised, my appointment was confirmed this morning and I have to go to the 5th floor of the hospital on Monday morning, so a wait and see on that. The delays are affecting everyone, not just foreigners.

The delays are a direct result of AZ not meeting the delivery schedule that it agreed to. This is mainly due to the rich countries scooping up the vaccine supply early doors. The US laid claim to 60 million doses of AZ vaccine that it doesn't need and in doing so deprived Thailand of their delivery that was due in Feb. The US now controls that vaccine and may well be used elsewhere before you get vaccinated. The UK, EU and India were also guilty in a similar manner.

People should recognise where the blame lies.

An earlier pledge to export 60 million doses of the vaccine from AstraZeneca PLC came with little sacrifice because that vaccine has yet to be authorized for U.S. use.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-to-commit-to-exporting-covid-19-vaccines-by-end-of-june-11621269053?mod=article_inline

34 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You should be more careful on how you post, the article you quoted never said Mor Phrom was "defunct" and I can assure it is not. If it is not accepting registrations it is certainly being used to send out information and updates to appointments.

Chonburi had an online facility for registration before Mor Phrom was introduced and my wife registered us both on that, subsequently I was registered on Mor Phrom by the hospital. Yesterday my wife got a call to go and pick up her appointment card, for the 29th, and she saw my name next to hers with June 7th. She spoke to the lady and was told the provincial registrations are linked to Mor Phrom to avoid double booking and that I had chosen the June 7th date. That must have been the result of a phone call we had from the village head.

My sister in law did her appointment on Mor Phrom, for 14th June, and she had a message this morning to say it was postponed and would be advised, my appointment was confirmed this morning and I have to go to the 5th floor of the hospital on Monday morning, so a wait and see on that. The delays are affecting everyone, not just foreigners.

The delays are a direct result of AZ not meeting the delivery schedule that it agreed to. This is mainly due to the rich countries scooping up the vaccine supply early doors. The US laid claim to 60 million doses of AZ vaccine that it doesn't need and in doing so deprived Thailand of their delivery that was due in Feb. The US now controls that vaccine and may well be used elsewhere before you get vaccinated. The UK, EU and India were also guilty in a similar manner.

An earlier pledge to export 60 million doses of the vaccine from AstraZeneca PLC came with little sacrifice because that vaccine has yet to be authorized for U.S. use.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-to-commit-to-exporting-covid-19-vaccines-by-end-of-june-11621269053?mod=article_inline

Nothing like making an already confusing situation even more so with a lot of questionable and ambiguous information mixed in with personal opinions stated as though they were facts.  That's precisely what we don't need right now.

What's more, your political opinions regarding the cause of supply chain / distribution issues are highly partisan and not at all objective. 

Of course, you're free to express your opinions, but not to state them as fact.  No personal affront intended, just my take on it all.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

It is defunct for NEW registrations. My statement was obviously meant to be read in that context. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Yet another ridiculous, bigoted post, if the idiots running the asylum had gotten their fingers out towards the back end of 2020 / early 2021 and actually ordered vaccines earlier than they did & stopped people travelling all over the country for Songkran plus upped the testing numbers then Thailand wouldn't be in the situation it now finds itself in.

This country has been given money to fight the virus (Australia for one) they have been offered vaccines from other countries ( India for one ) and refused them.

Why have they been slow off the mark ? Because a lot of hi so's especially in government and beyond stand to earn a lot of dosh off their own production facility. Get your facts right.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's putting it too politely. We're getting jerked around as if getting jerked around is going out of style.

Since when did you actually think you had any rights here?  

The beauty of ignoring all the inevitable hyperbole, speculation, day to day reversals etc since this thread was started, for what has rather predictably been little concrete benefit, and just waiting for a definitive announcement which when it comes will be plastered across all English language news outlets is I don't feel remotely jerked around. 

• Like 1

Well, perhaps this isn't new news per se because we've heard similar before, but who knows? Not me.

As has been reported before, there is a site from the Office of International Cooperation Department of Disease Control Ministry of Public Health Thailand that is currently for diplomats but has been announced to be open to all foreigners in Thailand starting June 7.

I have seen evidence of an email from that organization dated June 4 repeating that this is still the case. Open to all foreigners June 7.

Note that Bangkok Hospital PATTAYA is on the list.

Will this actually work on June 7? Feeling lucky?

Yes it mentions the less sought after Sinovac as being the only vaccine available but by later in June or July presumably so will AstraZenica.

Not yet June 7 yet but I started to click through from 
http://www.thailandintervac.com/diplomats

> Register

Updated on May 25th,2021

Sinovac (Available)

AstraZeneca

Johnsons & Johnsons

Moderna

COVID-19 Vaccination locations

MedPark Hospital (Available Now)

3333 Rama IV Rd., Khlong Toei, Khlong Toei, Bangkok

Vimut Hospital (Available Now)

500, Phahonyothin Rd., Samsen Nai,Phaya Thai,Bangkok

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

301 Moo 6 Sukhumvit Rd., Km.143, Nakluea,Banglamung, Chonburi

Bangrak Vaccination and Health Center

9 South Sathorn Rd.,Yannawa,Sathorn,Bangkok

Edited by Jingthing

37 minutes ago, kinyara said:

The beauty of ignoring all the inevitable hyperbole, speculation, day to day reversals etc since this thread was started, for what has rather predictably been little concrete benefit, and just waiting for a definitive announcement which when it comes will be plastered across all English language news outlets is I don't feel remotely jerked around. 

I would not question the advanced wisdom of your approach, but I might suggest that what you feel might not reflect what's actually happened (which you've chosen to ignore). For example for major surgery we happily are put under, but what actually happens while we're under still happens.

16 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

What's more, your political opinions regarding the cause of supply chain / distribution issues are highly partisan and not at all objective. 

Of course, you're free to express your opinions, but not to state them as fact.  No personal affront intended, just my take on it all.

You want to promote the paranoia and ignore the facts, feel free.

Boris Johnson will bow to international pressure to share some of the UK’s vast vaccine stockpile with poorer countries, ending months of stonewalling.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-vaccines-donate-g7-b1860251.html

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yet another ridiculous, bigoted post, if the idiots running the asylum had gotten their fingers out towards the back end of 2020 / early 2021 and actually ordered vaccines earlier than they did & stopped people travelling all over the country for Songkran plus upped the testing numbers then Thailand wouldn't be in the situation it now finds itself in.

This country has been given money to fight the virus (Australia for one) they have been offered vaccines from other countries ( India for one ) and refused them.

Why have they been slow off the mark ? Because a lot of hi so's especially in government and beyond stand to earn a lot of dosh off their own production facility. Get your facts right.

Obviously GDP per capita means very little to you.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:05 PM, spetersen said:
On 5/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, sucher said:

Question, is a Thai DL actually considered a Thai ID ?

No

Incorrect answer to an imprecise question.

A Thai DL is accepted by some entities as a government issued photo ID for Thai citizens.

Less-so for foreigners.

YMMV

TiT

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it mentions the less sought after Sinovac as being the only vaccine available but by later in June or July presumably so will AstraZenica.

The term "less sought after" is your personal prejudice against the Sinovac product, a prejudice that has simply been echoed by other farangs. Having said that, it's certainly your choice to wait for something that you and others perceive as better.

There's isn't any evidence that the locals have any preference for any particular vaccine. From what we are led to believe, there's a general reluctance on their behalf for ANY vaccine. There's an undeniable bias from the Thai government for the Siam Bioscience locally manufactured AZ product that has suddenly become available in quantities at this 11th hour.

Just a quick note; a few foreigners have registered at various private hospitals in Udon Thani for whatever's available. One hospital suspended registrations a few weeks back when it became clear that there was nothing to offer. My wife registered me with the local orbortor along with the rest of the family who wanted to be vaccinated (not everyone wanted to). One older guy reports that he was vaccinated (first shot) at the same time as his wife last Wednesday. Their doctor was aware of his age and some health risks due to pre-existing conditions and suggested that they get vaccinated at the same time.

Edited by NanLaew

32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The term "less sought after" is your personal prejudice against the Sinovac product, a prejudice that has simply been echoed by other farangs. Having said that, it's certainly your choice to wait for something that you and others perceive as better.

There's isn't any evidence that the locals have any preference for any particular vaccine. From what we are led to believe, there's a general reluctance on their behalf for ANY vaccine. There's an undeniable bias from the Thai government for the Siam Bioscience locally manufactured AZ product that has suddenly become available in quantities at this 11th hour.

Just a quick note; a few foreigners have registered at various private hospitals in Udon Thani for whatever's available. One hospital suspended registrations a few weeks back when it became clear that there was nothing to offer. My wife registered me with the local orbortor along with the rest of the family who wanted to be vaccinated (not everyone wanted to). One older guy reports that he was vaccinated (first shot) at the same time as his wife last Wednesday. Their doctor was aware of his age and some health risks due to pre-existing conditions and suggested that they get vaccinated at the same time.

Sinovac is objectively less sought after because it is objectively less effective especially after the first dose. That has been admitted by the Chinese authorities.

I don’t have an irrational prejudice about it. Others may. I rationally prefer a more effective brand. I have recently stated elsewhere I will accept Sinovac if no other choice and would not delay vaccination hoping for a different brand.

Members please limit reports to be about the Pattaya area. Udon Thani is not that 

Edited by Jingthing

52 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Incorrect answer to an imprecise question.

A Thai DL is accepted by some entities as a government issued photo ID for Thai citizens.

Less-so for foreigners.

YMMV

TiT

In the context of THIS topic drivers licenses were  useless for online vaccine registrations with Mor Phrom when that was still accepting registrations for foreigners using pink card numbers.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

No it wasn't, just perpetuating the paranoia.

No offence intended but it is your completely unfounded opinions and non-objective, emotional remarks that are promoting undue concerns in this thread.  You should just chill out with all of this inflammatory nonsense!

It seems to me that your intention is to derail this thread since your comments have nothing to do foreigner registration for vaccination.  There are other threads far more suitable for you to share your personal views of international politics!

Edited by ubonjoe
edited at members request
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

In the context of THIS topic drivers licenses were  useless for online vaccine registrations with Mor Phrom when that was still accepting registrations for foreigners using pink card numbers.

Everybody should just stop discussing the MorProm app.  The CCSA officially stated that the app was NOT intended for foreigners to use.  They made that crystal clear in no uncertain terms in several official briefings two weeks ago.  It could not have been stated more clearly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Everybody should just stop discussing the MorProm app.  The CCSA officially stated that the app was NOT intended for foreigners to use.  They made that crystal clear in no uncertain terms in several official briefings two weeks ago.  It could not have been stated more clearly.

My wife registered me with my pink card ,as did a friend ,but our dates have now been pushed back as no vacine ,but will let us know when available ,many Falangs have registered on the mor prom app. just got the message 2 hours ago .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

My wife registered me with my pink card ,as did a friend ,but our dates have now been pushed back as no vacine ,but will let us know when available ,many Falangs have registered on the mor prom app. just got the message 2 hours ago .

This is not new news.  Two weeks ago the CCSA stated that foreigners who had managed to register through the MorProm app would not receive vaccination in June even if they had been given a date in June for vaccination (even if they were in high risk groups according to age or comorbidities).  It had nothing to do with lack of vaccine; it had more to do with prioritizing the initial rollout to geographic regions most at risk of new outbreaks, first responders, etc. .

Well, here's the latest.

Notable today is the conspicuous absence of any mention of our expat heavy province among the good examples of expat vaccine programs show and tell. 

Edited by Jingthing

Yes. 

Thanks for the link to the unhelpful Chonburi specific site.

We'll have to wait a little longer to see what's up with Intervac.

Refer to my recent post citing a June 4 email from them saying it will be open to all foreigners on June 7.

Weird that CCSA didn't mention that either huh?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. 

Thanks for the link to the unhelpful Chonburi specific site.

We'll have to wait a little longer to see what's up with Intervac.

Refer to my recent post citing a June 4 email from them saying it will be open to all foreigners on June 7.

Weird that CCSA didn't mention that either huh?

After visiting the Chon Buri Provincial Health Authority website, I doubt that they will ever get an app put together.  The website looks ancient and works as slow as molasses, and their last Covid PR announcement was back in January!  Seriously...!@#$

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

Agreed at present there is little sign of meaningful progress at national or provincial level for registering interest/details. My remaining hope is that one or more Pattaya hospitals will receive notice they will be getting vaccines & they will distribute as best they can directly to their registered patients & others expressing interest.

Chiang Mai seems to have had a relatively effective registration process for foreigners, both online, & via user friendly physical registration sites that included a Big C. At least one major hospital has additionally given July vaccine appointments to over 60's who physically presented themselves. Whether these registration efforts end up with 'jabs in arm', remains to be seen - but at least a rational, 'user friendly' registration process, specifically targeting foreigners, has been effectively rolled out at provincial level & at one major hospital.

• Like 1