Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

Blimey, it's not getting any better is it? A few weeks ago we were recording a steady 2,000 new cases a day, give or take 500 or so. Then we had a week where the total outside prisons was only less than 3,000 on one day. Recently we've been getting a consistent 4,000 new cases a day and today they're reporting 5,400 new cases.

Chonburi reported its highest daily case total so far at 390 new cases, with over half of them in Sri Racha driven by a migrant worker camp, but Banglamung still managed to record 46 cases. To my mind, the big question is: are these numbers simply showing the much-feared exponential spread of the virus in the general population, or are they somehow artefacts of the many clusters being found in places like migrant worker camps and markets that make it look like exponential growth when there's really only limited spread of the virus among the general population?

It certainly doesn't make you feel any more relaxed about being completely excluded from the vaccination programme. And it seems from the photos just posted of the vaccination place on Beach Road that Pattaya has no intention of vaccinating expats here, unless perhaps they have the house book/pink ID.

17 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Blimey, it's not getting any better is it? A few weeks ago we were recording a steady 2,000 new cases a day, give or take 500 or so. Then we had a week where the total outside prisons was only less than 3,000 on one day. Recently we've been getting a consistent 4,000 new cases a day and today they're reporting 5,400 new cases.

Chonburi reported its highest daily case total so far at 390 new cases, with over half of them in Sri Racha driven by a migrant worker camp, but Banglamung still managed to record 46 cases. To my mind, the big question is: are these numbers simply showing the much-feared exponential spread of the virus in the general population, or are they somehow artefacts of the many clusters being found in places like migrant worker camps and markets that make it look like exponential growth when there's really only limited spread of the virus among the general population?

It certainly doesn't make you feel any more relaxed about being completely excluded from the vaccination programme. And it seems from the photos just posted of the vaccination place on Beach Road that Pattaya has no intention of vaccinating expats here, unless perhaps they have the house book/pink ID.

Nobody seems to like talking about it, but I think the Delta and especially the Delta+ variants are thriving here in Thailand now for sure.

I can see no other explanation for the sudden rise in case beginning in April and never ending growth in new cases every week that we're seeing now.

All the more reason for our home countries to to take note and provide some help!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

And multiple posters on here advising us to get vaccinated asap even if it's the Chinese one or AZ, that's fine thanks for the advice, here's the sticky part though, where do we go to get it ?? We can't pay, nothing here to pay for yet, and none of the private or government hospitals are jabbing expats as far as I am aware,  so, as much as I want a jab it seems impossible at the moment.

Unless you know differently.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I'm really not sure what the motive is for why expats are not being served well.  Thailand certainly has its' hands full with limited vaccine stockpile presently, and being overwhelmed with new clusters of outbreaks, especially around Bangkok...but I think the CCSA is being really disingenuous at not directly addressing expats and their legitimate and serious concerns, and instead only providing vague promises but no real facts.

Correction.

They've stopped even making promises to expats, vague or otherwise.

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Correction.

They've stopped even making promises to expats, vague or otherwise.

I think that's why it's pretty obvious they are overwhelmed just trying to get up to speed with the rising case numbers caused by the Delta and Delta+ variants in hotspot locations like Bangkok, since it's obvious that's where most of the vaccinations are occuring.

I guess it's easy to feel like we're being ignored or even discriminated against by the CCSA's silence about expat registration in other provinces, but the truth seems to be that they are just very naive about what constitutes good and effective public relations. 

Rather than just being honest and transparent about their strategy of focusing on preventing further outbreak clusters as a present strategy, they feel the need to keep making these happy face promises with no substance to them to expats which only ends up alienating us when those promises are not kept over and over and over again.

I think they recognize that now which accounts for their total silence...but that's just as bad!  Everybody just responds a lot better when they are told the truth in a totally transparent way.  Hopefully they'll figure that out.

Edited by WaveHunter

45 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

And multiple posters on here advising us to get vaccinated asap even if it's the Chinese one or AZ, that's fine thanks for the advice, here's the sticky part though, where do we go to get it ?? We can't pay, nothing here to pay for yet, and none of the private or government hospitals are jabbing expats as far as I am aware,  so, as much as I want a jab it seems impossible at the moment.

Unless you know differently.

Sadly, for those of us here in Pattaya, we're just going to have to wait for the public rollout to get up to speed so that it can expand beyond the hotspot areas like Bangkok where serious new clusters seem to form daily, and the areas that are integral to the sandbox strategy.   Either that or hope our home governments come to our rescue.

It's easy to feel like we expats are being forgotten or discriminated against, but it really seem to boil down to demand outstripping the current supply. 

Hopefully as ordered shipments of vaccines, along with donated vaccines from other countries begin to arrive in July, things will quickly change...but there isn't really much more we can do except wait.  Many of us have explored every possible alternative...and they just do not exist right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Sadly, for those of us here in Pattaya, we're just going to have to wait for the public rollout to get up to speed so that it can expand beyond the hotspot areas like Bangkok where serious new clusters seem to form daily, and the areas that are integral to the sandbox strategy.   Either that or hope our home governments come to our rescue.

It's easy to feel like we expats are being forgotten or discriminated against, but it really seem to boil down to demand outstripping the current supply. 

Hopefully as ordered shipments of vaccines, along with donated vaccines from other countries begin to arrive in July, things will quickly change...but there isn't really much more we can do except wait.  Many of us have explored every possible alternative...and they just do not exist right now.

Indeed, and I am one of those that has explored every avenue, this is getting silly now.

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Give it a rest....The daly numbers are nonsense...

I've registered in two places today, I expect them to be rejected but i thought I'd try, someone on facebook is convinced it will work. Asks for Thai 13 digit ID and house book, so they've got my passport and blue book, better than nothing. Many Thais have been scared to not want the vaccine anyway

Everyone that is so worried has the option to go home and do something about it rather than just complaining.

A lot of the 'long timers' should realise there is no way at all to rely on getting vaccinated here in thailand as an expat.

I've not been back to uk in 17 years, called up NHS today and appointment made for 1st jab on 7th July, it's really not that difficult.....only expensive.

For those that continue to complain and do nothing i have little sympathy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Everyone that is so worried has the option to go home and do something about it rather than just complaining.

A lot of the 'long timers' should realise there is no way at all to rely on getting vaccinated here in thailand as an expat.

I've not been back to uk in 17 years, called up NHS today and appointment made for 1st jab on 7th July, it's really not that difficult.....only expensive.

I consider the above yet another mean spirited, heckling post but such toxicity requires pushback.

-- We all know about airports. Traveling as an option is obvious to all, and has already been mentioned numerous times in an OFF TOPIC manner on this and many other topics.

-- Nobody said anything about relying on the system here. In my and many other's opinions, we all will EVENTUALLY get access to vaccines here "in due course" but the issue is more about the access being timely and somewhat equal access as Thais. For example high risk people should not be discriminated against based on nationality.

-- THIS topic is about access to vaccines in PATTAYA. It's most certainly not about access to vaccines in London or Chicago. 

-- It is true that "complaining" per se isn't particularly helpful. The PURPOSE of this topic is to provide practical information on how expats in Pattaya can get vaccines in Pattaya, sooner or later. 

-- Whether people have "sympathy" for that purpose is their own damn business. I would suggest the obvious people that are clearly not at all interested in the purpose of this topic consider not reading it and not posting to it. 

• Like 1

Back to the actual topic here, this news just came in.

HOPEFULLY this will apply to at least some Pattaya private hospitals.

We will be needing specific LOCAL DETAILS about that.

HOWEVER, based on our experiences with previously announced NATIONAL policies, whether and how such things are actually implemented here locally in Pattaya can be an entirely different matter.

Such as how this begun when we were instructed to register for the public program in person at our hospitals of record and found, alas, the local Pattaya hospitals were not onboard with that at all!

Again, this kind of thing is why this topic exists. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I consider the above yet another mean spirited, heckling post but such toxicity requires pushback.

-- We all know about airports. Traveling as an option is obvious to all, and has already been mentioned numerous times in an OFF TOPIC manner on this and many other topics.

-- Nobody said anything about relying on the system here. In my and many other's opinions, we all will EVENTUALLY get access to vaccines here "in due course" but the issue is more about the access being timely and somewhat equal access as Thais. For example high risk people should not be discriminated against based on nationality.

-- THIS topic is about access to vaccines in PATTAYA. It's most certainly not about access to vaccines in London or Chicago. 

-- It is true that "complaining" per se isn't particularly helpful. The PURPOSE of this topic is to provide practical information on how expats in Pattaya can get vaccines in Pattaya, sooner or later. 

-- Whether people have "sympathy" for that purpose is their own damn business. I would suggest the obvious people that are clearly not at all interested in the purpose of this topic consider not reading it and not posting to it. 

Good luck with your quest, no need to get excited...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Our three local PRIVATE Pattaya hospitals. What will each of their specific policies be for this new Moderna announcement?

List Private Hospitals – The Private Hospital Association Thailand (thaiprivatehospitals.org)

I predict long queues on Thursday morning, an ideal breeding ground for Covid, lol.

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

I predict long queues on Thursday morning, an ideal breeding ground for Covid, lol.

Perhaps but it's not at all clear yet if the local private hospitals are actually going to follow that schedule. Since when have they followed schedules from national announcements on vaccines?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps but it's not at all clear yet if the local private hospitals are actually going to follow that schedule. Since when have they followed schedules from national announcements on vaccines?

Two of the three Pattaya hospitals listed started taking Moderna vaccination bookings that were quickly suspended due to the quantities that would arrive for October being a mystery.

The smarter, more earnest seeker of vaccination with Moderna would be beating a fast track to them and getting a heads-up on their reopening those booking lists.

The third hospital has been saying 'no plans' for months now, a position that has also been reflected at their provincial branches. Maybe check on them less frequently but since their plans may change with more clarity coming from the GPO on the status of the purchase, don't ignore them completely.

If I hear anything factual through my bit of the Pattaya grapevine, I will post.

Good luck.

Edited by NanLaew

14 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

That's nonsense!  First of all, for someone who says he's lived here for 17 years you seem to have little understanding that things DO in fact work here for expats but not in the manner that many Westerners are accustomed to.

There is currently nothing that indicates expats will not receive vaccination here but obviously it will take longer due to the extreme poor planning  early on, and the strategy right now that's dictated by the short supply of vaccines currently on hand.  That will all change in the coming weeks as more vaccines arrive into the Kingdom.

As for your oversimplified rationale about returning to your home country for vaccination, there are in fact serious obstacles for many expats.

Firstly there is cost and time.  I;ve looked into doing this (USA) and conservatively I estimate a cost of over $5,000 and a minimum of six weeks for r/t airfare, time in quarantine (possibly for both arrival in US and then back in Thailand).

Then there's the very real danger of travelling as an unvaccinated person since it involves sitting in a plane for many hours with strangers, and in layover airports for a total time of up to 36 hours in some cases.  True, fellow travellers should have tested negative before boarding the flight, but that does not guarantee safety, and layover time in airports offers NO protection against people that may be infected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Our three local PRIVATE Pattaya hospitals. What will each of their specific policies be for this new Moderna announcement?

List Private Hospitals – The Private Hospital Association Thailand (thaiprivatehospitals.org)

Just to make it easy to track any possible announcements, byt he private hospitals, here are the links:

112. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

116. Pattaya Memorial Hospital

117. Pattaya Inter Hospital

Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath.  None of them have made so much as a whisper about any private rollout except BHP with their "we'll let you know on our facebook page" message.

• Thanks 1

For any French Expats, in case you don;t have the details about vaccination at BHP beginning tomorrow 30 June, here are the details from BHP's facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/bangkokhospitalpattaya/

Hopefully, maybe some of us expats from other nationalities will see the same posting for us sometime soon!

=========================

L'Ambassade de France en Thaïlande organise une campagne de vaccination au profit de la communauté française de Thaïlande.
Les ressortissants français résidant en Thaïlande et âgés de 55 ans et plus peuvent se faire vacciner au Bangkok Hospital Pattaya du 30 juin 2021 au 7 juillet 2021.
Le vaccin sélectionné par l'Ambassade de France est le vaccin Johnson and Johnson monodose "Janssen" et il est totalement gratuit.
Pour vous inscrire cliquez sur le lien suivant
ou scannez le code QR de cet article
Bangkok Hospital Pattaya
301 Moo 6, Sukhumvit Road (km 143)
Naklua, Banglamung, Chonburi, 20150 Thailand
===
The Embassy of France in Thailand is organizing a vaccination campaign for the benefit of the French community in Thailand.
French nationals living in Thailand who are 55 years of age and older can be vaccinated at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya from 30 June 2021 until 7 July 2021.
The vaccine selected by the French Embassy is Johnson and Johnson single-dose "Janssen" vaccine and it is completely free of charge.
To register click the following link
or scan the QR code from this post.
Bangkok Hospital Pattaya
Naklua, Banglamung, Chonburi, 20150 Thailand
The French Embassy in Thailand is holding a vaccination campaign for the benefit of the French community in Thailand.
French nationals residing in Thailand and aged 55 and over can get vaccinated at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya from June 30, 2021 to July 7, 2021.
The Vaccine selected by the French Embassy is the Johnson and Johnson monodose Janssen vaccine and it is totally free.
To register click on the following link
or scan this article's QR code
Bangkok Hospital Pattaya
Naklua, Banglamung, Chonburi, 20150 Thailand 20150 n
===
The Embassy of France in Thailand is organizing a vaccination campaign for the benefit of the French community in Thailand.
French nationals living in Thailand who are 55 years of age and older can be vaccinated at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya from 30 June 2021 until 7 July 2021.
The vaccine selected by the French Embassy is Johnson and Johnson single-dose "Janssen" vaccine and it is completely free of charge.
To register click the following link
or scan the QR code from this post.
Bangkok Hospital Pattaya
Naklua, Banglamung, Chonburi, 20150 Thailand 20150 n

207443171_3683810378386564_7539960836254413675_n.jpg.79536731f17e1397ce6459e7f8370c58.jpg209358468_3683810318386570_8615746187981382743_n.jpg.f8c56a910ef9f7cdde35ef061494bbf8.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just tried Pattaya City Hospital after someone on Facebook claimed he registered successfully for the Sinopharm vaccine there, anyway no foreigners they said, didn't even get to ID or blue book, so don't waste your time

As expected but thank you very much for the boots on the ground report!