Castor oil

IvorBiggun2

My daughter doesn't go to the toilet regularly and gets poo bound. There are sellers of castor oil on Thai website that sell it but advertise it as cosmetic grade. Is that acceptable as being fit for consumption?

Yiou cannot assume it is food grade. Don't  give it to her.

Instead, get stewed prunes, which you can get at any supermarket. Have her eat 2-3 each night (might make it 3-4 pieces the first time).

If that fails, and assuming your daughter is at least 5-6 years old, you can buy Senna  capsules at any 7-11. Unlike the prunes, not to be taken regularly, just when milder measures fail and things are really backed up.

You should also consider why the problem exists.  Insufficient fiber in the diet is common reason. In children, so are worms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You cannot assume it is food grade. Don't  give it to her.

Agreed. That's why I raised the question. We've done the prune juice routine in the past but that didn't seem to work as we expected. We will now try the Senna capsules.

The problem all boils down to not eating fiber. She will not eat vegetables. Plus she doesn't make time for a toilet regime. 

50 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The problem all boils down to not eating fiber.

There are things like "Inulin" which you can add to food to increase fiber. I use it for baking, but I guess mixing it into a curry might work as well.

• Like 1

I remember my wife one time recommended eating unripe Tamarind to a farang who was stove up.  It worked so well that he had to eat unripe bananas to get back to normal.  ???  True story.  It was funny in the end, no pun intended. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Agreed. That's why I raised the question. We've done the prune juice routine in the past but that didn't seem to work as we expected. We will now try the Senna capsules.

The problem all boils down to not eating fiber. She will not eat vegetables. Plus she doesn't make time for a toilet regime. 

You need to find something high fiber that she will eat. Doesn't have to be vegetables.

Oatmeal is very good, try adding cinammon, bananas, etc. And prunes.

Tamarind also helps and does nto have to be unripe, can be sweet.

Actual prunes taste a lot better than prune juice and I think work better.  But need to be eaten daily, as a preventive. Once she is severely constipated prunes alone will nto be enough.