Thailand reports first local cases of virus variant first found in India

webfact

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, that's what I read too, if you breathe it in then you will become infected but that's not really the issue here.

Being vaccinated reduces it to either an asymptomatic case or a 'mild cold like' illness.

But you will still test positive on a PCR test regardless of how mild it is.

Exactly. The evidence in Singapore is  pointing the government towards possible airborne transmission. Hard to avoid even in full PPE. 

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

and so much for quarantine!!!

clearly not working

14 days quarantine may not be enough. It's a fact some only test positive after 14 days. That's the reason some countries have extended to 21 days or even 28. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lks7689 said:

Singapore using Pfizer and moderna but still people get infected by the B1617 variant. When they say effective it mean reduce but not 100% prevent. The 1 breakthrough infection was enough to spread to 100 in a matter of two weeks in Singapore. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/biontech-says-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-likely-to-be-effective-against-b1617-variant

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Construction workers... read Burmese and Cambodian workers! I mean, the new variant didn't get to Thailand on 2 legs and these workers are most likely not subjected to 14 days quarantine when they cross the border... In the end it all comes down to the greed of the construction companies!

Couldn't have said it any better . 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow. It has arrived.  Let's be safe and ensure we isolate those locations where it was found.  Take care folks and be safe.  Looks like the ride has hit turbulence 

Time to find another  farang not wearing a  mask, despite the umpteenth amount of  Thai I see not or  half wearing a  mask. Just  like the machete  attack by a foreigner to a monk the other day who they immediately  arrested and the guy who had a machete waved at him on Thai  Visa and the police did  nothing a few  weeks  ago.

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

maybe TAT will promote another Songkran in June just to get this one stirred up a bit. You know, get it out in the country side. 

"Fifty Indian doctors die from Covid in a day and the country's daily fatality toll hits 4,329 as rural leaders say official count ignores 'entire families wiped out'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9590759/Fifty-Indian-doctors-die-Covid-day-countrys-daily-fatality-toll-hits-4-329.html

Not sure I can believe this article. Not only could I not find even one additional article from any other news source, including those inside India to corroborate this claim, but if you read Their own tagline, you will see what I mean. "MailOnline - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from MailOnline"

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Indian variant arrives in Thailand..............okay, UK here we come.....had enough of this.....oh wait......???

Doesn't this simply mean that a 'expected mutation' occurred? The virus is never "going away" - like any other corona virus. isolation is only a delay and a vaccine (that really isn't a vaccine) likely carries a higher risk than immunity (even partial) acquired from recovering. Until a long-term proof is available from inoculated humans, this seems the most logical way to think about this. Testing to see if you already have antibodies, also seems like a rational, pre-vaccination procedure. IMO

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Construction sites were the new and upcoming clusters. Looks like it is a bigger cluster cluck then anyone wanted.    Ugh.

All vaccine are not the same against the Indian variant.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/pfizer-vaccine-up-75-effective-against-indian-variant-covid-19-new-tests-suggest

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I had my pla Ra, Thai Chili, and Nam pla Vinegar sauce drink to kill off Covid, of course a witch doctor gave it to me as he placed a curse on Covid.  Now with my amulets, and sak yant tattoos I am bullet proof, oh I forgot my head is shaved, my eyebrows too, and I am wearing that robe while chanting the Rattanasoot Prayer the Good general Prayut has made mandatory.......

This post is dripping with sarcasm, as the indian variant slowly and silently moves around from house to house. 

I remember you.

Looking smart.

C855F9C0-8F31-4CEA-A662-76C2AF5917A6.jpeg

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I'm in Singapore. Please read this. When they say effective, it doesn't mean vaccinated can't get infected. All our daily infected cases are reported in details. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-worker-south-asia-family-source-changi-airport-14857686

Twenty-four patients linked to the cluster preliminarily tested positive for the B1617 variant, which was first detected in India. Half of them were not vaccinated.

Edited by lks7689
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I had my pla Ra, Thai Chili, and Nam pla Vinegar sauce drink to kill off Covid, of course a witch doctor gave it to me as he placed a curse on Covid.  Now with my amulets, and sak yant tattoos I am bullet proof, oh I forgot my head is shaved, my eyebrows too, and I am wearing that robe while chanting the Rattanasoot Prayer the Good general Prayut has made mandatory.......

This post is dripping with sarcasm, as the indian variant slowly and silently moves around from house to house. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
edit

2 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Evidence for this statement please.

predictions about what will happen in the future typically dont have evidence

but while we are at it, what is your explanation for the thai governments refusal to allow vaccines produced outside of thailand that are highly efficient and being used around the world in countries that have exponentially higher quality control standards than thailand.

common sense would indicate that given high spread of the virus here, the government would be importing all well-performing vaccines to protect the thai people, and to be able to open again for tourism.

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

A world first or an error, I'm going with error for now.

You never know with India whether the info is reliable, I hope the vaccines hold.

1 hour ago, pizzachang said:

Doesn't this simply mean that a 'expected mutation' occurred? The virus is never "going away" - like any other corona virus. isolation is only a delay and a vaccine (that really isn't a vaccine) likely carries a higher risk than immunity (even partial) acquired from recovering. Until a long-term proof is available from inoculated humans, this seems the most logical way to think about this. Testing to see if you already have antibodies, also seems like a rational, pre-vaccination procedure. IMO

Well the proof will be in the eating.........the UK is half way through its pudding......let's see what happens?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lks7689 said:

I'm in Singapore. Please read this. When they say effective, it doesn't mean vaccinated can't get infected. All our daily infected cases are reported in details. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-worker-south-asia-family-source-changi-airport-14857686

Twenty-four patients linked to the cluster preliminarily tested positive for the B1617 variant, which was first detected in India. Half of them were not vaccinated.

So half were not vaccinated....and that half had most of the infections.

It does not go into detail as to whether the vaccinated ones where fully vaccinated,   nor when, nor which vaccine. My statement was relating to AZ and Pfizer. A bit surprised the measures being employed for passengers arriving from India are so loose. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So half were not vaccinated....and that half had most of the infections.

It does not go into detail as to whether the vaccinated ones where fully vaccinated,   nor when, nor which vaccine. My statement was relating to AZ and Pfizer. A bit surprised the measures being employed for passengers arriving from India are so loose. 

There are some 20+ "break through" cases in Singapore now.  Those who've been fully vaccinated and still getting covid.  I don't think any died, but several ended up in the hospital.  Most were health care workers.

Singapore Announces New Restrictions After Vaccinated Airport Workers Become Infected - The New York Times

Singapore announces new restrictions after vaccinated airport workers become infected.

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow. It has arrived.  Let's be safe and ensure we isolate those locations where it was found.  Take care folks and be safe.  Looks like the ride has hit turbulence 

To late 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Might be a good time to bring in that Pfizer vaccine?  Not sure the SinoVac is up to it.

Doubt they can get the Pfizer vaccine.  It's massively back ordered, as is Moderna, who just announced delayed shipments to Canada and OZ.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

well there goes June, July and August. My doctor at Bumrungrad said not to stay in Bangkok so I am leaving. 

at least I live in Hua Hin which is like being on maximum lockdown all the time, so not missing much. 

Your doctor has visions of thousands of corpes and human ashes drifting down the Chaophaya River.........????

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Noah K said:

Not sure I can believe this article. Not only could I not find even one additional article from any other news source, including those inside India to corroborate this claim, but if you read Their own tagline, you will see what I mean. "MailOnline - get the latest breaking news, showbiz & celebrity photos, sport news & rumours, viral videos and top stories from MailOnline"

India’s Covid ‘martyrs’: Country loses 50 doctors to virus in a single day, says medical body

India has lost 270 doctors to its devastating second wave of the Covid pandemic, with as many as 50 of these deaths recorded in just a single day on Sunday, according to new data issued by the country’s largest association of doctors.

Speaking to The Independent, Indian Medical Association (IMA) president Dr JA Jayalal said a worryingly high proportion of the country’s doctors and medical staff are still not fully vaccinated.

Of the doctors who died since January, about 97 per cent were unvaccinated, while three per cent had received their jabs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/india-covid-doctors-death-ima-b1849402.html

50 Doctors Reported Dead In 1 Day From Covid Across India: Medical Body

According to the Indian Medical Association, 244 doctors have died due to COVID-19 in the second wave of the pandemic.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/244-doctors-died-since-april-1-in-covid-second-wave-50-yesterday-2443647

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, lks7689 said:

I came across this other post which I see as relevant to what we discussed.     .Of the doctors who died since January, about 97 per cent were unvaccinated, while three per cent had received their jabs.

Edited by jacko45k

It doesn’t matter which variant covid, if you have been vaccinated, it still important to wear mask and take rapid covid test.

Those who are vaccinated are not completely protected still can spread the virus.

So more different vaccine doses and testing our way out of the pandemic probably back to normal in year 2025.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/so-what-can-people-actually-do-after-being-vaccinated/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1