Unidentified driver killed in Panat Nikhom, Chonburi after crashing into power pole during rainstorm

webfact

pat.jpg

PHOTO: Sawang Het rescue team

By Goong Nang(GN)

Chonburi – An unidentified driver died after his pickup truck lost control before crashing into a power pole at high speed during a rainstorm in Panat Nikhom earlier this week.

The Panat Nikhom Police was notified of the accident in the morning earlier this week on the Panat Nikhom – Chachoengsao Road in the Wat Luang sub-district.

Rescue workers from the Sawang Het rescue team arrived at the scene to find a heavily damaged white pickup truck on the road.

An unidentified male driver was found outside the pickup truck lying in a ditch on the side of the road with critical injuries. No identification was found with him and as of press time, law enforcement officials with the Panat Nikhom Police are still working on identifying the victim.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/21/unidentified-driver-killed-in-panat-nikhom-chonburi-after-crashing-into-power-pole-during-rainstorm/

PattayaNews.jpg

Some people still drive very fast in heavy rain, as i experienced driving down the Railway Line Bypass recently, people trying to get past at speed when visibility is yards, and deep water is making handling very bad.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Some people still drive very fast in heavy rain, as i experienced driving down the Railway Line Bypass recently, people trying to get past at speed when visibility is yards, and deep water is making handling very bad.

I remember vividly driving a Renault 5 GT Turbo hot hatch in my early 30's (still learning!!) at break neck speed and hitting a large puddle (about 15m long/is that still a puddle) and aquaplaning across and inadvertently changing lanes at the same time.........yes the car was light and a heavier one wouldn't have reacted the same, but just to echo your point really..............I was lucky, but,  I'm not sure that my heart ever recovered.......................

5 minutes ago, bojo said:

yes the car was light and a heavier one wouldn't have reacted the same, but just to echo your point really..............I was lucky, but,  I'm not sure that my heart ever recovered.......................

I drive a heavy vehicle, but it is rear wheel drive and the weight is all at the front. Hitting only 3-4 inches  a bit too fast on just one side of the vehicle moves it that way. When someone is trying to push past you it is not what you need. 

43 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

{snipped}

Thanks to safety belt I can write comments on TV. Media should educate people not just publish reports because of reports.  

I agree entirely about the importance of seatbelts and the media should encourage the use. We know the law and police are useless at enforcement.

The incident I remember most was an accident  I had as a young driver in the UK. It was just before seatbelt use became compulsory. I was always keen on using one.

I was driving a works van and giving someone, a lift as we went to collect parts for the job.

I had got fed up of trying to get passengers to put their seatbelt on, before it was compulsory not everyone was interested. The guy asked my if he should, and I said it was up to him. He decided to put it on.

Half an hour later I went round a bend on an open fenland road too fast. The back end spun round and we hit the grass bank sideways. The van rolled over and landed upside down.

We were hanging upside down. We managed to undo our seatbelts and got out unharmed.

The recovery vehicle driver turned up. Every second word of his was an expletive - he was unable to believe we had both walked away from the written-off vehicle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nowhereman said:

What they always somehow forget to mention in these sad reports is that driver wasn't properly strapped with a safety belt and paid the ultimate price because of it. You can clearly see from the picture that the driver's head hit the windshield and that's what killed him/her. Twenty years or so I had an accident on icy road, crashed into four vehicles, car was totally whacked and I got away without a scratch. Thanks to safety belt I can write comments on TV. Media should educate people not just publish reports because of reports.  

How can you tell the drivers head hit the windscreen?

3 hours ago, nowhereman said:

What they always somehow forget to mention in these sad reports is that driver wasn't properly strapped with a safety belt and paid the ultimate price because of it. You can clearly see from the picture that the driver's head hit the windshield and that's what killed him/her. Twenty years or so I had an accident on icy road, crashed into four vehicles, car was totally whacked and I got away without a scratch. Thanks to safety belt I can write comments on TV. Media should educate people not just publish reports because of reports.  

How can you see the drivers head hit the windscreen?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

An unidentified male driver was found outside the pickup truck lying in a ditch on the side of the road with critical injuries.

Again, they will never accept and understand what safety belts are for.

And before opting for airbags and ABS they will invest in shiny rims.

This accident buckled up in a modern  limousine (does not need to be a Benz): open door, get out and knock off the dust.

A photo from the article shows: airbag inflated.

But driver thrown off.

Just a proof that airbag alone is not enough.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and sad to say it, but when they come undone, it's a good result they only kill themselves, and not innocent road users, as in this case.  

I've driven in rain, snow, slush and ice for 50 years in the U.S.  Had a few thrills but soon learned.  I am especially careful about hydroplaning, as I've driven rear wheel drive pickup trucks for years and years.  Unloaded, they are great if you want to spin in circles as you go down the road.  Hit a puddle or a pile of slush on the road on one side and you can have an immediate off-road adventure. 

When I drive, I drive.  I don't talk on the phone, don't listen to music or anything.  (I mostly look out for stupid drivers, cops and speed traps, 555.)  And I do not like to drive after dark these days.  And driving for 8 - 10 hours a day is right out.

• Like 2