Thai country mouse and British town mouse - East and West can get along!

rooster59

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I say fresh because one of the differences is that Mrs R showers about two times a day and is appalled by someone who talks about bath night, even though that's tongue-in-cheek in the heat we have (35C inside this week!).

Cooking and eating causes much “intercultural debate”. She is livid when I don’t wash the veg that I am about to boil. I’m risking the lives of the children apparently. Beside herself with annoyance when I make a mess in “her” kitchen. And apoplectic when I relegate her “pla raa” (fermented fish) in an outside closet away from my sensitive nostrils. 

Bingo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your wife showers only twice a day. That is the absolute minimum in a country where the average is about 5 times a day. Looks like living with a farang (kee nok??)for over a decade has lowered her ablutionary standards. According to my Thai ex, the term bird<deleted> farang was coined during the Hippie Era, when lots of unwashed farangs arrived on Thailand 's shores, offending the sensitive local olfactory organs,which are used to the stench of Durian, but not to BO of any kind. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“blue cheese”. 

It's well known to obviously not everybody that cheese is causing clots and plaques in your brain leading to Alzheimer. 

I'm not sure if you stop now you can avoid it 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

It's well known to obviously not everybody that cheese is causing clots and plaques in your brain leading to Alzheimer. 

Any deleterious effect of blue cheese is easily offset by the contemporaneous consumption of a good red. This is well known to gourmets.

Get thee back to your carrot juice and celery sticks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TPI said:

What? "<deleted>" would have to be one of the most used expletives in the English language! In Oz they even have an award winning car advert that used the word "<deleted>!" exclusively!  

Sorry, but that is a Kiwi advert and not Aust. Just the same as Phar Lap, Crowded House, Russell Crow, Pavlova and the Bletislow Cup are New Zealand as well. But, tonight Australia is celebrating. It has been more than 24 hours since Australia has not been beaten by NZ in ANY sport whatsoever.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

Sorry, but that is a Kiwi advert and not Aust. Just the same as Phar Lap, Crowded House, Russell Crow, Pavlova and the Bletislow Cup are New Zealand as well. But, tonight Australia is celebrating. It has been more than 24 hours since Australia has not been beaten by NZ in ANY sport whatsoever.

I'm just trying to remember the last time a New Zealand golfer won anything, think it was 2005.

Thanks for the news update Rooster,  I hope you and your family all get the required shots for COVID and

continue to have an interesting married life. My wife thankfully did not cook too much smelly Thai meals, but

her one of 2 sisters that I had to live with as well, cooked something that smelled like a rotten vegetable. Plus when

they got dried Chinese mushrooms and rehydrated them the smell was not great. I thankfully did not have to

put up with the pla raa, as I guess they also do not like the smell.  I used to shower 2 times a day and still do if

I do some physical work and get the sweat up. In Thailand it was 2 showers  and maybe an afternoon fresh up on a hot day.

I will enjoy my next visit to Thailand as I miss the greenery of the country, and the ocean breezes. Err maybe the roti

and some meals. I liked the news story of the dog that got the drugs, but I wondered why the police did not post someone

nearby and catch the guy who kept coming back for his errr income source.  I also hope the Chinese guy does not get off lightly

because of his wealth. If either of the police dies he should get the death penalty.  Keep on trucking Rooster and enjoying your scrabble                                          football, well soccer,  and hopefully by September there will be a lot of Thais who have got their 2 shots, and some of the COVID threat is much less.

Geezer

18 hours ago, TPI said:

What? "<deleted>" would have to be one of the most used expletives in the English language! In Oz they even have an award winning car advert that used the word "<deleted>!" exclusively!  

But despite it being so common, @ColinNeil was forced to remove the word from his TVF signature because of a complaint by some miserable b*gg*r.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

Small mistake about Crowded House I think. Lead singer was a Kiwi but the band was formed in Australia. Neil Finn was younger brother to Tim Finn from SplitEnz which was a Kiwi band.

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Any deleterious effect of blue cheese is easily offset by the contemporaneous consumption of a good red. This is well known to gourmets.

Get thee back to your carrot juice and celery sticks.

I know I have no chance to convince you but thanx for letting me try. ????

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2021 at 2:44 AM, rooster59 said:

My local club Crystal Palace parted ways with affable pensioner Roy Hodgson who was one of my PE teachers in my first term of secondary school.

Good read this week ... thank you ! I always worried about the lack of cop on when I heard that some unfortunate club...or in one case country... has hired this man to manage. You know him... so could you enlighten me as to whether he is a brazen chancer, actually has talent, is a very likeable guy... or rogue... or just lucky that there are so many gullible figures in football ready to employ his likes time and time again. 

• Like 1

"Coming up with a viable policy to at least tone down the war on drugs should be a priority when Thailand gets a democratic and responsible government, maybe 2050. For now, why not stop locking up small time druggies and petty dealers. Think rehab, address unemployment and opportunity rather than punishment. It’ll save you money in the end." -

- Bravo R, ! I think that there is also quite a LOT of other countries in this world that could do this. 

... A more succinct conversation with my Carrer, - Social working Mate (Oldest Friend, … As he is always here ... and pretty much just the same, …) here in Auwstraalia ... 

His Question  : ( … Like Cxxxxx is asking a Question !!! Watch Our !!!) ....

Q : So why, Do you think that they keep Marijuana on the Illegal and Culpable Drugs List ??? ... (We had just been talking about it)

A : Well I did not know really, so thinking about the government and their minders and hench men generally …. I just said ..."Money" ???

But he answered it for me  ...

A : NO ! … It is because it gives them leverage and Access, … to directly access, the socio Economic, and Ethnic groups that they want to !!! ... Like the Poor, Immigrant, … or Indigenous Groups, ... Or White Trash, !!! … ( But I guess that you could just Read “Black” here ???) …

Like if they are walking in the street, or just hanging around, quite innocently !!! Like GOD, just at this time if you are out of work, like many of them are, what else is there to do !!! ….. Or driving ...  The cops can stop and search them as ... "They might be carrying Drugs" Right !!! ??? … Like  … Marijuana, … as it is still booked as an illegal drug, ….

And they can also just turn up and search their Cars, or their homes also using this excuse also. Whenever they like. Pretty much I think ?

So that is why they keep such a benign low level drug as marijuana illegal ? Right ???

… .... Well this guy would know I am sure ….  As he lives there, … … (And I am Close by. … )

On 5/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, sawadee1947 said:

Help is @  hand ..

Contact ,  Cheese are Us ..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My age gives me the luxury of telling younger people not to worry too much about health nostrums.

My age gives me the luxury of telling  younger people ,

not to worry about Health Insurance .

Three score and ten , is enough .

After that , life is boring ...

Thx , Kindle ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, rooster59 said:

Kipling (Rudyard, not the guy who made delicious cakes) is sometimes maligned as a racist for his famous poem “The Ballad of East and West”.

“Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,

Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God’s great Judgment Seat;”,

I prefer his sexist and racist "The Ladies" .......

Now I aren't no 'and with the ladies,
  For, takin' 'em all along,
You never can say till you've tried 'em,
  An' then you are like to be wrong.
There's times when you'll think that you mightn't,
  There's times when you'll know that you might;
But the things you will learn from the Yellow an' Brown,
  They'll 'elp you a lot with the White!
Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, rumak said:

considering all the hot air he puts out..........  maybe purchasing a fan would have proved more beneficial

Wow , hope you enjoy your out ..

What a man ..

See you soon ... 555

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm 78, and life is still exciting for me. Getting out on my scooter in Thai traffic is a daily adventure.

Depends on one's attitude.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, old age should burn and rave at close of day". I intend to.

Traffic in Chiang Rai ..?

Some 15 , years ago , not have .

Time changes everything ...

Is the Top North , still open . ? 

Most of the trading , was down under the bridge ,

into Burma ...

Great place , to die ..

Keep in touch ...

10 minutes ago, elliss said:

Wow , hope you enjoy your out ..

What a man ..

See you soon ... 555

just harmless jokes ,  my friend .    If i write anything serious it sends the readers into a frenzy,

and sometimes me on a vacation.      don't think you will be seeing me soon  ( i won't be

sitting in one of those auditoriums waiting for the jab)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Traffic in Chiang Rai ..?

Some 15 , years ago , not have .

Time changes everything ...

Is the Top North , still open . ? 

Most of the trading , was down under the bridge ,

into Burma ...

Great place , to die ..

Keep in touch ...

There's not as much in CR as CM, and the locals don't seem to be as homicidal as in Chiang Mai. Although I avoid travel at night due to peripheral vision issues, and IMO that's when most of the accidents happen.

Haven't been to Mae Sai for quite some time, from what I have heard the markets are a shadow of themselves with COVID restrictions.

My son in Australia has just informed me for all Australia's

"success" in containing COVID, they are now back to masks anywhere indoors, with the exception of the family home.

• Like 1