Jump to content

Buying a small trailer from Alibaba ?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi there

have an ATV and looking for a small trailer to tow behind it

Seen a couple on Alibaba and wondering what they are like for shipping, payments, and more importantly, customs clearance in Thailand

Have seen a few here in Thailand, but seem to be very expensive compared to Alibaba

Would welcome any advice from anyone who has used Alibaba before 

Thanks  

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might try this company from Thailand. I passed their building everyday when I used to drive to work.

It's next to Motorway 7 BKK-Chonburi.

 

http://www.upbeat.co.th/new/index.php

 

I have no personal experience about ordering larger items from Alibaba but I would be very cautious.

Maybe you can find a local shop that can built your trailer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, CLW said:

You might try this company from Thailand. I passed their building everyday when I used to drive to work.

It's next to Motorway 7 BKK-Chonburi.

 

http://www.upbeat.co.th/new/index.php

 

I have no personal experience about ordering larger items from Alibaba but I would be very cautious.

Maybe you can find a local shop that can built your trailer.

thanks for the reply CLW

The company you show only does the larger car based trailers, i need a smaller mesh sided trailer for work on the farm, pulled by a ATV quad bike

Asked a couple of local shops, some who make the motorbike trailers, but either , not do, or silly money 

Not sure what problems will occur when ordering from Alibaba, they come flat packed, for self assembly, but concerened more about the customs here, 

Was asking on here before i talk to the chinese companies, maybe they can include the correct paperwork and  any customs charges ?

Thanks again

2 trailer.jpg

trailer.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Maybe you can find a local shop that can built your trailer

You beat me to it ,get a locale guy to do it ,built to your spec, and if you do have any problems with it ,he can soon sort it out.

Where I live I can think of at least 2 people that could build a small trailer ,just ask around .

One is our local agriculture engineer ,one other  is our local motorbike trailer/motorbike sidecar builder, they could build one for you .

  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kickstart said:

You beat me to it ,get a locale guy to do it ,built to your spec, and if you do have any problems with it ,he can soon sort it out.

Where I live I can think of at least 2 people that could build a small trailer ,just ask around .

One is our local agriculture engineer ,one other  is our local motorbike trailer/motorbike sidecar builder, they could build one for you .

  

Thanks kickstart

asked at 2 of the local sidecar shops, one said, no can do, the other wanted silly money ,

Not sure about agriculture engineer, asked at a shop selling farm trailers, but too big, and he say no for a smaller one 

Will keep looking, but much cheaper from China 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tricky one as importing, you could well be opening a can of worms with those Customs boys and quality could be an issue too. My experience of getting stuff fabricated in Thailand is that unless you are extremely lucky to find an accommodating fabricator who can work from a drawing/spec, nearly all of them will only want to copy something that you physically bring to them............

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option would be modifying one of those 2 wheel hand carts that farmers use as motorbike trailers.

 

I've seen some heavy loads in them.

 

They cost around 2k baht with motorbike wheels or cheaper with bicycle wheels.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Farma said:

Another option would be modifying one of those 2 wheel hand carts that farmers use as motorbike trailers.

 

I've seen some heavy loads in them.

 

They cost around 2k baht with motorbike wheels or cheaper with bicycle wheels.

seriously cost effective and practical, not sure about the street cred tho!!!! ................

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Hell would need to freeze over first !

 

Buy in Thailand, if necessary get it made but DONT import one.

 

Checkout facebook marketplace

SmartSelect_20210525-210642_Facebook.jpg

 

That would take even a half competent metal basher a day to make, just show them the photo with an idea of dimensions (steel comes in 6m lengths so size around that). Wheels and bearings from your local farm outlet or even Global or Thai Watsadu.

 

Or why not learn to weld and make one yourself 🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to use the trailer on public roads  it's supposed to be inspected and registered at the Department of Land Transportation that is the reason they (legal ones) are so expensive and also the reson not to import one It would end up even more costly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bojo said:

Tricky one as importing, you could well be opening a can of worms with those Customs boys and quality could be an issue too. My experience of getting stuff fabricated in Thailand is that unless you are extremely lucky to find an accommodating fabricator who can work from a drawing/spec, nearly all of them will only want to copy something that you physically bring to them............

I discovered even if you find a good one the welders around my area want silly money for build stuff. They charge by the metre and going rate seems to be 700 Baht a metre.

 

Recently wanted a workbench made. Quoted 7k Baht just for the frame.  I bought all the materials plus welder and made the complete bench myself for less than that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johng said:

If you want to use the trailer on public roads  it's supposed to be inspected and registered at the Department of Land Transportation that is the reason they (legal ones) are so expensive and also the reson not to import one It would end up even more costly.

Doubt he will be driving to many KM on public roads with his ATV (which is not legal to drive on public roads).

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Doubt he will be driving to many KM on public roads with his ATV (which is not legal to drive on public roads).

 

 

When the ATV is on the trailer  transported between destination will it be on a public road ?  the trailer that is not the ATV.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Farma said:

Another option would be modifying one of those 2 wheel hand carts that farmers use as motorbike trailers.

 

I've seen some heavy loads in them.

 

They cost around 2k baht with motorbike wheels or cheaper with bicycle wheels.

just been looking at them this morning, working out the best way to fit an A frame to it and still be strong , but definitely lose the street cred with one of those on the back of a nice big quad bike . Maybe worth the extra money for a better trailer !!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, johng said:

Obviously I missed the part about only using it on the farm  and I also misunderstood

thinking that the ATV would be carried on the trailer not that the ATV would be pulling the trailer..🥱  an early morning "brain fart"  😋

 

I know it's a public holiday, but "early morning"?

 

Don't worry, I get them too 🙂 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, johng said:

Obviously I missed the part about only using it on the farm  and I also misunderstood

thinking that the ATV would be carried on the trailer not that the ATV would be pulling the trailer..🥱  an early morning "brain fart"  😋

no worries

thanks anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Joinaman said:

just been looking at them this morning, working out the best way to fit an A frame to it and still be strong , but definitely lose the street cred with one of those on the back of a nice big quad bike . Maybe worth the extra money for a better trailer !!!!!

The bike trailers would be to light for you, they are only made of thin 1inch piping .

I have made two, one we used for some  years hauling 250 kg of cattle feed behind a motorbike ,the other I made for hauling a tree forage we feed to the cattle ,because the locally made one had more weld on it than metal ,used it every day for 6 years ,but.......as I was building it the old one died completely ,so we   had to buy a new one quickly ,the wheels second-hand from a  motorbike. 

The big one I made was made from 2inch angle iron ,the other was 1 inch angle iron boxed ,both have never been  a problem ,

CharlieH 's  post from FB marketplace look good, wheels from a car/pickup, drawbar would have to be modified ,and you would have to find a ball hitch ie Lazada. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, Joinaman said:

Thanks kickstart

asked at 2 of the local sidecar shops, one said, no can do, the other wanted silly money ,

Not sure about agriculture engineer, asked at a shop selling farm trailers, but too big, and he say no for a smaller one 

Will keep looking, but much cheaper from China 

 

You've repeatedly mentioned 'cheap' from China and 'silly money' locally.

 

What currency is that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

someone told me you need a special license to tow a trailer. Especially if you are towing a boat. 

 

Is that true? 

 

A trailer that's going to be used on highways needs to be inspected, individually registered and taxed. It's a primary reason why U-Haul doesn't exist here.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...