Learning Thai

sirineou

Sadly, most language schools just don't know how to teach Thai to adult foreigners. They teach the language like Thai school kids.

They have online group and private lessons, their lessons are short and easy to understand unlike a lot of Thai language schools like YMCA, AUA . They also speak excellent English unlike a lot of Thai language teachers.

https://learnthaiwithmod.com/online-group-lessons/

Yes, you can learn online.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bojo said:

My way is not text book, but it sure was fun...................................

Get a small pocket note book and write down all the useful words that you think you would like to learn for general day to day use. (I also bought the phrase book and small dictionary, Practical Thai, see below) .....................

Write English on the left side and to the right, write down the Thai translation in English phonetically (as it sounds to you). I decided to learn 3 words a day, no more no less, without missing any days, which after 3 months was 270 words (enough in my books for quite a few basics and the ability to communicate very simply in most day to day situations and encounters. Each day I tested myself on all the previous days and weeks words until I really didn't need to anymore. I kept this pocket book with me at all times, on the beach, everywhere..it was soooh handy.......................... I then used this vocabulary to launch me further and I think key for me, was making an effort to engage with locals who were really helpful and not to be worried about making mistakes.............................I had alot of fun....................................Good luck....................

Practical Thai: A Communication Guide For Travellers And Residents by  Suraphong Kanchananaga

Writing down , is not a bad idea, When I was in University (yes written language was invented back then) . I used to write down passages I wanted to remember, because when you do so, you use a different part of your brain and it helps to reinforce memory.

But aside from  remembering words and fraises with out context, I like to learn some of the basics so that I understand rather than just remembering sounds that help me get things. 

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Find an innocent Thai girl who knows no English. And then meet her and talk to her. ???? 

Yea, my wife would love this.

Lucky for me my medical insurance covers me in Thailand LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Writing down , is not a bad idea, When I was in University (yes written language was invented back then) . I used to write down passages I wanted to remember, because when you do so, you use a different part of your brain and it helps to reinforce memory.

But aside from  remembering words and fraises with out context, I like to learn some of the basics so that I understand rather than just remembering sounds that help me get things. 

That Practical Thai book (unassuming front cover) was key for me........it was so basic, yet everything was at a glance and uncomlicated.............I looked at the vocab and noticed that some of the language was very descriptive in formation, eg 'Ice' is formed by the words 'water' and 'hard', so you learn 2 words but actually learn 3 in the process....... I also noticed that the tenses were soooooh simple in formation with 'ja' denoting future in front of the verb and laeow after the verb denoting 'past' etc etc......Just easy stuff from this little phrase book..It was only available in one chain of bookshops last time I checked in 2016 and that was either Sabaai books, Asia books or the other place I forget.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bojo said:

That Practical Thai book (unassuming front cover) was key for me........it was so basic, yet everything was at a glance and uncomlicated.............I looked at the vocab and noticed that some of the language was very descriptive in formation, eg 'Ice' is formed by the words 'water' and 'hard', so you learn 2 words but actually learn 3 in the process....... I also noticed that the tenses were soooooh simple in formation with 'ja' denoting future in front of the verb and laeow after the verb denoting 'past' etc etc......Just easy stuff from this little phrase book..It was only available in one chain of bookshops last time I checked in 2016 and that was either Sabaai books, Asia books or the other place I forget.

I looked at Amazon for it but it was not available.

I took a picture of it, and will show it at different book stores here in Thailand to see if I can find it. 

Thank you for the recommendation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bojo said:

My way is not text book, but it sure was fun...................................

Get a small pocket note book and write down all the useful words that you think you would like to learn for general day to day use. (I also bought the phrase book and small dictionary, Practical Thai, see below) .....................

Write English on the left side and to the right, write down the Thai translation in English phonetically (as it sounds to you). I decided to learn 3 words a day, no more no less, without missing any days, which after 3 months was 270 words (enough in my books for quite a few basics and the ability to communicate very simply in most day to day situations and encounters. Each day I tested myself on all the previous days and weeks words until I really didn't need to anymore. I kept this pocket book with me at all times, on the beach, everywhere..it was soooh handy.......................... I then used this vocabulary to launch me further and I think key for me, was making an effort to engage with locals who were really helpful and not to be worried about making mistakes.............................I had alot of fun....................................Good luck....................

Practical Thai: A Communication Guide For Travellers And Residents by  Suraphong Kanchananaga

Found it on Lavada and order it????

image.png.97238f82fb702f61001291a0815f39a3.png

I learned alot from Thai songs with subtitles. Also movies. Untill i met my wife who taught me the more complex stuff.

Repetition,repetition & more repetition. I had a weird system that worked for me. Where i would write stuff down in Eng. As it sounded to me in Thai. Being a jock that was easy.

All i would say is don't be discouraged. If i can do it. So can you! They say it takes 10,000 hours to master a craft. 30 mins a day you will be well on you're way.

Grettings from Khon kaen. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

great method to use... there are so many phrases like that...

nam = water

dtah = eye

nam dtah = tear

horm = good smelling

nam horm = perfume

som = orange

nam som = orange juice

nam soda = soda water or seltzer

and the tenses are simple and it seems my wife and niece have stopped using them entirely... I guess that is a nice aspect of country culture - there is no time... everything is of the moment... 

Sorry to burst your bubble but these are just beginner Thai.

I've seen many westerners use English grammar to speak Thai instead of Thai grammar.

Thai grammar is completely different from English grammar. Once you reach intermediate Thai, then you will know Thai grammar isn't that 'simple', they are just completely different from English grammar.

Capture1.png.3af4f311e69457758f78b92cbcb

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Me too, 12 years ago,

unfortunately still not a word of Thai for me, and the missus cant  shut Up in English. ,

Oh yea !! and not so innocent anymore ., now that I think about it, I am beginning to suspect that she never was. LOL

Possibly your Mrs doesn't want you to learn thai, she may be worried incase you embarrass her by saying thing the wrong way round, very easy, or she might want that little hold on you that you have to rely on her to communicate. 

"If I am going to stay here long term I need to learn Thai. I know a few phrases but that's the extend of it. 

So what's my best way to go about doing that?"

Do yourself a favour and book into these classes....

https://learnthaiwithmod.com/online-group-lessons/

I am doing their courses now and I am happy with them. ???? I can concur with a previous poster, their English is excellent which is very important.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but these are just beginner Thai.

Burst what bubble - ??

My post is written to beginner Thai's who are learning their first words... read the post I am responding to... 

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

Found it on Lavada and order it????

I use this book to supplement my studies. Very useful as a reference and very cheap. The pages are quality produced as well.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/learn-thai-quick-guide-for-beginners-2-i368968579-s720958004.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.35.6e05ace2ckdBgM&search=1

image.png

• Like 1

I was fortunate to have about 6 weeks of intensive language training in the Peace Corps.  Then I was posted to Loei and worked in the Land Development office.  Way back then (1977) there were very few English speakers in Loei, so it was speak Thai or keep quiet.  I never did learn much of the local Isaan/Lao dialect. 

"What do you call this in Thai language?" proved to be very useful. 

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 6:30 PM, Chris.B said:

What two words would those be then? ????????

It's funny, when you say..name two words only 2 spring to  mind that compliment other  and you know what they are of course ????????????????

• Haha 1