Reminder: Alcohol sales banned in Thailand today

webfact

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never does, does it.  I remember living in the village once upon a time way out in Wang Sam Mo.  Ah the drunken fights which would occur on the holidays and the loud screaming until late at night of couples fighting, fond memories.....

It was an Italian neighborhood?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

My point is that we are not children. Neither are many of us Buddhists. Banning things in the name of one particular religion is not really an intelligent way to run a country in the 21st century.

The running of the bulls in Pamplona also happens every year. Just because something happens every year doesn't make it correct. That's incredibly simplistic thinking.

Yawn.

Every dry Buddha  day the same old rant.... Are the DT's kicking in yet, do you need a beer ?

• Sad 3

Drinking is allowed, but selling and buying not.... That will work very well.. If you want to drink you bought yesterday... and there is no problem.. Besides if you are in Samui drinking is not allowed too... or if you are on the beach in Pattaya you will get fined too...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The teetotaler and savior has arrived. Thanks for reminding us of our sins and transgressions for drinking the devils brew...made by Monks by the way

Hahahaha Am far from a teetotaler mate. Cooking breakfast on the BBQ was a 2 beer job !

41 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No I have plenty of supplies but I have an evening ride planned. No traffic today. Should be fun.

Ahh you have plenty of supplies and yet you ride your high horse into a thread about a topic that has  little to no impact on your life.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ahh you have plenty of supplies and yet you ride your high horse into a thread about a topic that has  little to no impact on your life.

IMO it's a stupid policy. This is a public forum for commenting on matters relating to Thailand. So I commented.

If you're only allowed to comment if it has a huge effect on your life, may I ask what you are doing here? ????

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Hahahaha Am far from a teetotaler mate. Cooking breakfast on the BBQ was a 2 beer job !

I know my post was dripping with sarcasm as they usually are

Edited by ThailandRyan

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

IMO it's a stupid policy. This is a public forum for commenting on matters relating to Thailand. So I commented.

In what way do you feel it is a stupid policy given Buddhism frowns upon alcohol consumption (Intoxication violates the 5th of the five precepts).

Edited by Ralf001

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs has said she is not going to the temple this year, but I have no idea how widespread that sentiment is....

I was somewhat puzzled about the total silence around the temple this morning on this important Buddhist holiday.

Asked my wife whether something will take place: nothing.

Edited by KhunBENQ

19 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

In what way do you feel it is a stupid policy given Buddhism frowns upon alcohol consumption (Intoxication violates the 5th of the five precepts).

Yet every day the so called Buddhists violate this tenant. Can you not see the hypocrisy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Yet every day the so called Buddhists violate this tenant. Can you not see the hypocrisy 

Precepts #1, #2 and #4 are covered by actual laws (#3 relates to adultery... is there a law against that ?)  thank <deleted> they only enforce #5 a handful of days per year.

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

1. Not everyone in Thailand is Buddhist.

2. Those that are Buddhist should follow the precepts every day, not only on special days.

3. Allowing Religious precepts to dictate the law of the land is a dangerous path.

4. I believe in personal choice, personal freedom and personal responsibility.

Buddhism accounts for 90+% of the country.

Majority rules.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I was somewhat puzzled about the total silence around the temple this morning on this important Buddhist holiday.

Asked my wife whether something will take place: nothing.

There is a lot of noise coming over the village loudspeaker system where I am from the Temple....just making sure people don't forget to bring them food maybe.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

My point is that we are not children. Neither are many of us Buddhists. Banning things in the name of one particular religion is not really an intelligent way to run a country in the 21st century.

The running of the bulls in Pamplona also happens every year. Just because something happens every year doesn't make it correct. That's incredibly simplistic thinking.

Totally agree, a bit like enforcing Ramadan fasting in UK. Or forcing Muslims to eat Easter eggs!  555

• Like 1