Students in Thailand’s Trat province told to wear uniform for online learning

webfact

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

stupid ideas approved.. Dear students just don't wear your school uniform for online learning.. It is useless and ridiculous

No everyone should wear Mickey Mouse pajamas?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The advice was by Mrs. Chorraba Chuenban, the director of the Provincial Office of Primary Education

It seems the reading skills of some TV commentators ..........namely referring to the person as 

"this guy"   or  "he" ................... is not quite up to snuff.   That's ok,  I am sure you all passed your exams .

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

stupid ideas approved.. Dear students just don't wear your school uniform for online learning.. It is useless and ridiculous

In fact, don't wear anything at all except your birthday suit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Headed out to the school in the morning to pick up the materials needed for the online teaching that will start on next Monday.  Wonder if there will be a not that the daughter must be in uniform attached to the books and papers that need to be turned in at the end of each week.  From the sounds of it, it would appear that school wont be in for awhile with in-class studies here in Bangkok.  Wonder how all the students whose parents have to work are going to get the on-line work done if they have no tablet and they are left home alone.......

• Haha 1

Mme Chorraba, so what you are really saying most countries where students don't wear uniforms don't follow orders and are not disciplined! Or you don't dare to say it's purely for Brain Washing purpose.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You forgot at 8 am for them to stand up and salute the TV and again at night time.

Also omitted doing star-jumps in the sunshine for 10 mins.....give 'em some backbone !

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Its 100 kinds of sensible, unless you have no real  interest or commitment to your child's attitudes, discipline, application and education.  Many families who home school their kids, insist on smart dress for the child and the Mum or Dad when they teach.  It sets the scene, that this is a serious learning time and not game play.   

Discipline is  getting up,  making  your own bed , doing the washing up and household  chores, thats' what kids  need for discipline, they could  work naked  just fine online would  make  no difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A recommendation has been issued, by Trat’s Provincial Office of Primary Education, asking all primary and secondary students to wear uniforms while attending online classes

Can't let the indoctrination slip can we.

Indoctrination measures are clearly observed and it is no wonder they rank in the bottom Third in the world of countries for education.

Education Rankings By Country 2021 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Thailand’s Performances in the World Competitiveness Rankings – Office of National Higher Education Science Research and Innovation Policy Council (nxpo.or.th)

For several consecutive years, Thailand has scored the lowest among ASEAN countries in terms of the university education meeting the needs of a competitive economy, indicating the inability of its higher education to meet the demand of industries. The university education index derives from the Times Higher Education (THE) university rankings. Globally, the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021 lists 1,527 universities and the top three universities are the University of Oxford, Stanford University and Harvard University, respectively. Within the ASEAN region, two universities in Singapore are listed in the top 100, whereas none of the 17 Thai universities participating in the ranking appeared in the top 100 rankings (Table 2). To improve the THE university ranking, Thai universities will need to improve the quality of their education and research, as well as boosting revenues obtained from industries. It is also imperative for Thailand to reform its higher education system in order to address these issues.

• Like 1

"Order and discipline", hilarious. These things are rare in the Thai classroom. In my usual classes of 40, only the front row of 6-8 are usually engaged. The rest just go nuts and do whatever, and there's not much that can be done about it. There are no disciplinary consequences. If the teacher tries to apply them, they'll likely get complaints from the parents. If the teacher brings it up to their superiors, the response is something like "why are you making trouble?" Thus, a usual lack of order and discipline. Thai teachers are well aware of this and often make themselves absent from the classroom, attending meetings, "busy" in the office, after having dropped off packets of worksheets.

Last year my classes were shifted to online for a few months when the Covid cases spiked. Students were in pajamas, had cameras pointed to the ceiling, had silly photos in place of live video, or simply had their cameras off, likely having gone back to bed. When I brought this up, "these are difficult times, we all have to adapt".

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

they are being left well behind by Countries such as Vietnam

I also do online tutoring and have several students in Vietnam. The difference is night and day.

The children are inquisitive, ask many questions, have an answer for everything, keep the convos going, and are oh so polite. The adults are sharp, business savvy, motivated to develop and succeed. Despite being lacking in their English, I doubt it'll remain that way for long.

Not to say I haven't had some excellent Thai students at this level. But given the number I've had online, I have a feeling they're outnumbered by these Vietnamese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Simply stick some tape over the camera, sorry teacher it's broken.

2. I have never heard anything soooooo stupid for a long time, I know a few guys on her have been doing home schooling while the schools have Been shut, I bet their kids didn't wear uniform, @Pilotmanwere your kids here or abroad and if abroad when the schools were closed did they wear uniform while online ?

3. Just a massive power trip for the fool from the education department, for crying out loud, the kids are due back in 2 weeks time unless I missed yet another change. 

This place gets more like a mental institution everyday, bloomin good job I like being here ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

That is your idea in the western education system the students don't wear uniforms and the results are better than here. Give kids freedom at home instead constantly be pushed to do things without reason

You must have been out of the UK for a long time. Back in the 60's, during the great social experiment of Comprehensive schools, uniforms were not required at many of them.  It has changed drastically and now all schools have uniforms, often very expensive with headteachers getting kickbacks from the suppliers, parents not allowed to get cheaper alternative say from ASDA. There are major complaints from parents on low incomes about the cost of uniforms. Hull, where I'm from, every school has a compulsory uniform. It has been known for schools to change the uniform (Blazer colour) during the summer holidays to force parents to buy new ones.

In Thailand the attitude of the teacher and it looks like people in the administration all have their

ego power trips.  I am not surprised with the bit uniform kick . In Alberta it is only the richy school that

insists on a uniform.  I have never seen where the uniform , has done a lot for education except

make all the students look the same so that they are not worrying about how they all should dress.  It does make the cost of schooling more for the parents

and not all people in Thailand are rich.  Just look around some times.  As always the rich, have no problems with money, so they

love the uniforms as they can afford to keep buying new ones for their precious kids.  It will just be 

a nice day when all the students can safely get back to in class learning at what ever school they have to go to.

Geezer

19 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

will it be scouts uniform on Thursday, sports one on Wednesday and casual on Friday? Hopefully they will be made to march up and down a bit while following a flag as well ????

And when it starts to rain perhaps they want the parents to make their children go outside and grovel in the dirt

Edited by Excel

21 hours ago, webfact said:

after the communicable disease committee approved the idea

What on Earth does it have to do with them, jeez all these committees need a thoroughly good probing, next stand and sing the song and have a flag on show.

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

where do you get that idea from?  All the schools my kids attended in the UK and all and any that I have seen, all have a uniform.  

After my first year in secondary school, I never wore a uniform, jeans and a jacket did me.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

After my first year in secondary school, I never wore a uniform, jeans and a jacket did me.

I wore a uniform until I was 60  years old!  Its just the design that changed. I just added more rings and gold as the years went by and a rather fetching set of caps. 

Edited by Pilotman