I just had the AZ vaccine as a late afternoon walk-in (no appointment). Lucky I had the pink card.

davidst01

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You have got more chance of being killed on the journey to the clinic/hospital.

You have more risk of getting DVT on a flight.

Your missus would have more risk if taking the contraceptive pill.

Those facts don't matter because if you are a worrier, you will worry.

It has been recommended to take 75 mg of asprin once a day for 2 weeks before the AZ jab and 2 weeks after which may lower the tiny risk of blood clots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

Recommended by whom? From what I read this is not helpful and possibly even dangerous. 

I am on vaxation in France. Left Thailand 3 weeks ago! Got my first Pfizer vaccine 10 days ago. I was invited to a BBQ at someone's house near Paris and one of the guests was a high level immunologist who is advising the French government on their vaccine plan. This treatment with 75 mg of asprin was recommended by her. Of course like all medical advice, it is always best to check with your doctor before taking any medication even if it can be bought over the counter without a prescription. 

3 minutes ago, thaisail said:

I am on vaxation in France. Left Thailand 3 weeks ago! Got my first Pfizer vaccine 10 days ago. I was invited to a BBQ at someone's house near Paris and one of the guests was a high level immunologist who is advising the French government on their vaccine plan. This treatment with 75 mg of asprin was recommended by her. Of course like all medical advice, it is always best to check with your doctor before taking any medication even if it can be bought over the counter without a prescription. 

Are you sure that she was not a hooker from soi 6................................. her 'advice' is at odds with the international medical fraternity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, davidst01 said:

its 10pm now and feeling better than the first 2 hours after the jab. Back then I felt a bit out of it. Its hard to describe the feeling but a bit groggy and tired. I had a quick lie down but couldnt sleep. 

At 10pm now just have slight weird feeling in my chest. No headache. No pain in the arm. 

Will sleep now and update again tomorrow morning if I make it through the night. 

This vac is much better than sinovac and thus worth taking the risk IMHO. If I dont take the risk with this az jab, eg not have it.... the risk of fatality is much higher with my heart issues if I get covid. Therefore it makes sense to me to take the risk to get this jab today

The only draw back I can see uis the possible/likely length of time between shots. It could take months to get fully vaxxed. Whereas with Sinovac, the guidance is within 4 weeks, I believe.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, davidst01 said:

its 10pm now and feeling better than the first 2 hours after the jab. Back then I felt a bit out of it. Its hard to describe the feeling but a bit groggy and tired. I had a quick lie down but couldnt sleep. 

At 10pm now just have slight weird feeling in my chest. No headache. No pain in the arm. 

Will sleep now and update again tomorrow morning if I make it through the night. 

This vac is much better than sinovac and thus worth taking the risk IMHO. If I dont take the risk with this az jab, eg not have it.... the risk of fatality is much higher with my heart issues if I get covid. Therefore it makes sense to me to take the risk to get this jab today

What city was this in?

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

How are you feeling now......hello still OK ????

I am booked in next month for my AstraZeneca shot ,I am a

bit worried , as with my luck i could turn out as one of the small

percentage that gets the blood clot.

regards worgeordie

Have you had dengue fever at all?

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You face far greater risks getting to and from the vaccination centre !!!

Note - aches, feverish and a general cr@ppy feeling are very normal...  the surprise for me was the ’36 hrs ache’ at the injection site - never had that before with an inoculation, maybe I inadvertently tensed up. 

Last year I got the flu and pneumonia vaccine at the same time.  My arm was sore for a few days.  This year I got them about 2 weeks apart and much better.  (Note:  there are 2 different pneumonia vaccines and they are both one and done.)

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is not going to please the ‘anti-pink-ID crowd’ !!!!! 

Neither is going to please the ’Thai bashers’ who accuse all Thai’s of being xeonophobic racists.... 

That said: That said the rollout of the ‘foreigner registration site’ has been atrocious.... not because Thai’s are xenophobic or racists... but because those in positions of power have no reason to care.

This is where our Embassies need to step up and push the agenda to have any foreigner vaccinated alongside Thai’s, not just with a Pink ID card, but with a Passport !!!! 

The reality is the whole registration process is a complete farce... for Thai’s and foreigners.

Millions of Thai’s have had their vaccinations cancelled too. 

There has got to be a better way.

& the business card of my local cardiologist- who works at the govt hospital.' That I think was 'Open Sesame.' Maybe.

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

The only draw back I can see uis the possible/likely length of time between shots. It could take months to get fully vaxxed. Whereas with Sinovac, the guidance is within 4 weeks, I believe.

my wife is a key worker and has already had the 2 sinovacs within the 4 week period. Where I live there was a particular hospital where all key workers visited to get it. But to get the AZ on mass vaccination as part of the govt program its at a different location. 

16 hours ago, Poet said:

Don't you understand?

Any mild criticism of how things are done in Thailand is "Thai bashing" and, morally, the same as kneeling on George Floyd's neck.

Please stop.

Strange comment.

13 hours ago, Poet said:

Okay. I now accept that my jokes are somehow going over the heads of one or two members here.

Henceforth, whenever I make a subtle joke, I will add 4 or 5 smiley emojis so that even the kids on the special bus will realize that they should not take it literally.

Wait a minute... You bashing the special bus???

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, davidst01 said:

I had a shocker of a nights sleep. When I went to bed I could not sleep all night more or less. I experienced sinus issues (blocked nose) and weird pains over my body. I sometimes had small head aches on the front of my head. Last night I thought the feeling was the same as being at high altitude eg the in Andes in South America. This morning  feel completely drained of energy and minor head ache

Last night I also had the chills and then later really hot. 

I suppose its all a sign that my body is working???

Your adverse reaction may indicate you've actually had Covid already, although presumably asymptomatic as you never mentioned it.  It's a sign your body knew to kick into fighting mode immediately it detected the nasty in your system.

3 minutes ago, treetops said:
13 hours ago, davidst01 said:

I had a shocker of a nights sleep. When I went to bed I could not sleep all night more or less. I experienced sinus issues (blocked nose) and weird pains over my body. I sometimes had small head aches on the front of my head. Last night I thought the feeling was the same as being at high altitude eg the in Andes in South America. This morning  feel completely drained of energy and minor head ache

Last night I also had the chills and then later really hot. 

I suppose its all a sign that my body is working???

Expand  

Your adverse reaction may indicate you've actually had Covid already, although presumably asymptomatic as you never mentioned it.  It's a sign your body knew to kick into fighting mode immediately it detected the nasty in your system.

It's actually the opposite. 

An expected response to the vaccine is indication that the vaccine is working. 

Its the same reason we don’t really suffer to terribly from Rhinovirus colds, because we’ve been exposed to them so many times our body knows how to handle them and thus ‘don’t’ need to fight hard. 

Thus: IF davidSt01 had previous exposure to Covid-19, his body would not need to fight hard when the vaccine is introduced as he is already carrying the necessary antibodies (in simple terms). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

His reaction sounds (to me) worse than most which means the body already knew how to fight, called adaptive immune response.  Innate immune response is milder and I think what you're referring to, but this sounds more extreme to me and if it didn't know, the more extreme reaction would be seen after the second dose as the body had learned its stuff from the first.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

This post highlights the ignorance on the matter and the dangers of misinformation.

Aspirin is a blood thinner and used to reduce the possibility of blood clots through normal coagulation. Coagulation is brought about by platlets in the blood.

Studies of the cases where there has been a severe reaction to the vaccine have indicated Thrombocytopenia which is a very low platlet count and usually leads to excessive bleeding as the blood does not clot easily. Taking a blood thinner where there is a risk of Thrombocytopenia would be very dangerous.

It has been noted in rare cases of Thrombocytopenia where the platlets stick together effectively forming a clot, but this is completely different to a clot due to normal coagulation.

The condition is not unique to vaccines, it has been seen in other circumstances, the most notable being the drug Heparin, which ironically is an anticoagulant.

I've read this but is it a bit like aspirin may reduce clotting but if clotting occurs and leads to bleading, you may be worse off?  Here is what I read. It was written with vaccines in mind.

I am curious because I now have a scheduled vaccination on the 23rd, and I take aspirin regularly.

"These in vitro findings, suggest a possible role for prophylactic treatment with aspirin (COX inhibitor)

following vaccination. However, with the rarity of the syndrome, the risk of such widespread

aspirin usage may cause harms - due to the increased risk of bleeding - that outweigh any

theoretical benefit."

4 minutes ago, treetops said:
19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

His reaction sounds (to me) worse than most which means the body already knew how to fight, called adaptive immune response.  Innate immune response is milder and I think what you're referring to, but this sounds more extreme to me and if it didn't know, the more extreme reaction would be seen after the second dose as the body had learned its stuff from the first.

I get your point regarding innate vs adaptive immune response  and that because you suspect he had previous exposure to Covid-19 (acquired immunity) his adaptive immune response shorty after the vaccine was administered was strong...

But is the adaptive immune response to a vaccine stronger than the innate immune response to a vaccine?

And, If this is the case, will everyone not will react more severely to the second dose of the vaccines because they have already acquired immunity thus they will have an adaptive immune response.

Or, because they are not fully immune there will still be a milder innate immune response ?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But is the adaptive immune response to a vaccine stronger than the innate immune response to a vaccine?

You're getting above my pay grade now, but yes adaptive is stronger.

A second booster shot is needed to kick the immune system in high gear. This immune response is stronger than the first one, and as a result, it often produces worse side effects.

Source: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/all-your-questions-about-covid-19-vaccine-reactions-answered-180977537/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, treetops said:
36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wanted to address a further point separately - the innate vs active immune response is a very interesting.

Could this be why after taking the vaccine on Monday, AZ kicked my backside on Tuesday (aches, pains, headaches, feeling feverish). Meanwhile my Wife was pretty much fine, my family in the UK were fine after both their doses. 

I have a couple of friends who said that the AZ vaccine kicked their backsides.

Could those of us who needed to reach for the paracetamol after receiving the AZ vaccine have been previously exposed to Covid-19 ???.... 

Your point is an interesting one and if correct certainly raises a question....

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could those of us who needed to reach for the paracetamol after receiving the AZ vaccine have been previously exposed to Covid-19 ???.... 

That is certainly suspected by many who know more than me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, treetops said:
22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You're getting above my pay grade now, but yes adaptive is stronger.

A second booster shot is needed to kick the immune system in high gear. This immune response is stronger than the first one, and as a result, it often produces worse side effects.

Source: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/all-your-questions-about-covid-19-vaccine-reactions-answered-180977537/

This explains how the Innate immune response to the rNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) after the first dose is not as robust as required, the immune response to the second booster dose is more severe as it does a better job of kicking the immune system into high gear. 

(not covered in your links article is the response to the AZ vaccine). But, in contrast to the innate immune response of the rNA vaccines the immune response to the AZ vaccines is reportedly stronger with the first dose, the second dose is a booster which picks up the slack. 

In summary, the rNA vaccines give a bigger kick on the second dose, the viral vector vaccine kick you harder on the first.