Expats registering for vaccines: Impossible task takes another depressing twist

webfact

Moderna  appointment for my family and myself!

I  and 3 others in my family got  on a list back in May, at a private hospital in UD for the M vacc . 

I conferred with them today  ,they started excepting  refundable deposits !

They expect the vacc's to come anytime starting October through December !

They quoted 3600 for 1 person ! The CSR said there would  be an additional Dr. fee but  she wasn't sure what the charge would be.

I  sent a deposit !

I'm not sure if I can  mention the hospital ! PM me if you want to know .

3 minutes ago, champers said:

That is the same as what I but you have edited out the relevant part of my post. Naughty, naughty!! ????????

That is because I am not speculating about what the use of the data would or could be.

I am just pointing out that comparing immigration having those details to them being leaked openly is completely different.

11 minutes ago, champers said:

The Government already has your passport and visa details along with phone number and address. The concern must be about identity theft by full-time criminals, especially people smugglers.

Who knows ? identity theft is an issue these days that affects millions.

15 minutes ago, JamieM said:

Well peoples personal details including passport numbers addresses and names were available for anyone to see.

That is a fact what am I missing? "pray tell"

But only to those who would be registering. Why would anyone else be on the site if they were not an expat? I am not an expert in nefarious dealings.

• Confused 1

I notice that services are subject to change, “depending on the situation”.

presumably that means they might give you sinovac even though you might have registered for AZ, and vice versa?

no way I am joining in this <deleted> show. I’ll get vaccinated when I am good and ready and that won’t be before they have their act together to provide a guaranteed product, within the recommended time frame of the manufacturer (8 weeks for a second dose for AZ for instance).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, worrab said:

But only to those who would be registering. Why would anyone else be on the site if they were not an expat? I am not an expert in nefarious dealings.

Because they are a criminal looking for information that might assist with phishing/hacking etc?

just a suggestion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

I notice that services are subject to change, “depending on the situation”.

presumably that means they might give you sinovac even though you might have registered for AZ, and vice versa?

no way I am joining in this <deleted> show. I’ll get vaccinated when I am good and ready and that won’t be before they have their act together to provide a guaranteed product, within the recommended time frame of the manufacturer (8 weeks for a second dose for AZ for instance).

Seems a wise decision to wait until you can have a vax type of your own choice with both doses within the recommended time frame.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, worrab said:

Is the expat community in Thailand free of people of a criminal inclination who indulge in nefarious dealings? I think not and I doubt you do.

I guess the best option is to register locally, and avoid any attempt at internet registration entirely. Sounds like a total cluster-copulation.

I noted there was a registration station at Big C in Chiang Rai, would have used it if my pink ID card had arrived.

4 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

To the Thai government?

Let me know how that works out....

I've no idea what if anything they'll do but embassy staff do have links to the administrations of the countries they are in so they may be able to help if they are aware of a significant problem. However if the majority of complaints are on Thaivisa or Facebook then it's unlikely the embassy will do anything unless they spend their time looking at Thaivisa for problems that people can't be bothered to tell them about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

What race would that be? Is non-Thai a race?

Strange comment, what are you after? But feel free to propose better terminology. How would you call the underlying attitude displayed by the authorities that treats people different depending on their nationality?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, champers said:

Is the expat community in Thailand free of people of a criminal inclination who indulge in nefarious dealings? I think not and I doubt you do.

Never given it a second thought to be honest. 

48 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

Strange comment, what are you after? But feel free to propose better terminology. How would you call the underlying attitude displayed by the authorities that treats people different depending on their nationality?

Are Lao people a different race from thai people? from vietnamese people?

As for a better word, you could start with xenophobia. 

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Are Lao people a different race from thai people? from vietnamese people?

As for a better word, you could start with xenophobia. 

Well my friend, sorry but you seem to be after an academic point somehow. The term "racism" in my original post had a wider meaning than any difference between people and cultures. 

A dictionary definition of racism is "prejudice or hostility towards a person's race, colour, language, nationality". A dictionary definition of Xenophobia on the other hand is "fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners".

Hence the latter may or may not be a root cause of the racist behaviour, but either way there is no denying the correct terminology to use for some of the things said and enacted by the responsible authorities. Don't you think?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, fcbkk said:

Well my friend, sorry but you seem to be after an academic point somehow. The term "racism" in my original post had a wider meaning than any difference between people and cultures. 

A dictionary definition of racism is "prejudice or hostility towards a person's race, colour, language, nationality". A dictionary definition of Xenophobia on the other hand is "fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners".

Hence the latter may or may not be a root cause of the racist behaviour, but either way there is no denying the correct terminology to use for some of the things said and enacted by the responsible authorities. Don't you think?

I guess it depends on whose definition you use. I prefer Oxford's

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

• Like 1

Utter chaos, it's obvious registration is far from being securely organized anywhere online or on various Apps let alone the lack of vaccines to begin with. It's been mentioned by several others here that direct calls to your hospital or go in person is the only way to go,  I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about personal data being leaked to hacked to anyone on these cluster F registration sites....

4 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Just wait for moderna in Oct and deal with that selected private hospital...I am willing to pay money for a quality product as well as not deal with an incompetent gov system

You are naive to think Moderna vaccine in October is a safe bet.

Please don't rely on this, they can <deleted> up everything...including this private hospital effort.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not good if the Passport numbers, citizenship and names were leaked.  Thailand has now exposed thousands if foreigners personal information.  Time to go to the Worldwide press and our embassies.

Just how do they manage to put their pants on in the morning?

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not good if the Passport numbers, citizenship and names were leaked.  Thailand has now exposed thousands if foreigners personal information.  Time to go to the Worldwide press and our embassies.

Totally agree, but it's really par for the course for Thai administrators who have access to our data, I've lost count at the number of times I've received papers from Immigration and even banks with another persons details, passport copies etc, on the other side of the paper, I imagine I'm not alone.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thai immigration has leaked all of our information more than once.  Nothing new.