It gets worse! Thailand Intervac website taken offline after data leak

Jonathan Fairfield

31 minutes ago, connda said:

That's special, now isn't it.  Sorry for you folks who wanted to be first in line.  I can just imagine the amount of identity theft damage that can be accomplished with that amount of data.

Name and passport have been floating around forever if you travel. Photocopy first pages of the passport details. The address in Thailand is relatively unimportant I think as is the phone number.

Largest issue is the DOB.

1 hour ago, samtam said:

It's up again now, but without any "edit" button, so I cannot even attempt another 3000 times to add in the information that keeps getting dropped...

1) nationality

2) Organisation

3) Province

4) District

5) Sub-district

etc

And all it shows is that I have not completed the data, (I have multiple times), and that I need to "reload". I'm sure there is no rush to fix this, as there is a vaccine shortage, which they have finally admitted. Leave it for a week or so, or until early July (2021).

Not for me on any of the browsers I use, all I get is this:

image.png.bdfcf0b41bcc49e414ac8af91f9c78c4.png

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I must be missing something. This Barrow guy seems like an old busybody. Did he give his bank details or something? 

Someone malicious with access to so much personal information can cause some real damage to someone's quality of life.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Sorry to squeeze this in but I dunno where to ask. Some farang the other day posted a photo of himself receiving his Covid injection. Anyone know which thread it was on? Reason why I ask is because a  senior nurse at my local hospital refuses to believe farangs are getting the vaccines. Her hospital has a 'no farang' policy.

Look on page 2.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218852-vaccination-experiences-please-post-here/page/2/#comments

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I must be missing something. This Barrow guy seems like an old busybody. Did he give his bank details or something? 

I do not think a passport number without a minimum of issued/expiration dates puts anyone at extreme risk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I do not think a passport number without a minimum of issued/expiration dates puts anyone at extreme risk.

Name, date of birth, and your address along with that passport number can indeed lead to false impersonation and identity theft. 

These details can be used to create bank accounts, sign up for credit cards etc. Lost passports in the wrong hands can turn into aliases for people who may have any number of reasons to assume one. A US passport gives you access to a number of countries without the necessity to apply for a visa beforehand. This makes it very valuable to criminals.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On the high-end, darkweb researchers have seen much more sophisticated passport forgeries that can cost criminals upward of $3,000, with additional charges for special features, like diplomatic ties, according to Charles Henderson, head of IBM’s cybersecurity group X-Force Red, which conducts research on darkweb forums.

“Criminals need, at the country they are leaving or entering, at a bare minimum passport number, name, date of issue, date of expiry, and sometimes the scan bar at the bottom of the passport,” Henderson said. This information is much more prevalent in breaches of passport information that involve full scans of the passport than in other breaches, like Marriott’s, that have mostly just involved passport numbers and other manually entered data.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/05/how-criminals-use-stolen-passport-information.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Name, date of birth, and your address along with that passport number can indeed lead to false impersonation and identity theft. 

These details can be used to create bank accounts, sign up for credit cards etc. Lost passports in the wrong hands can turn into aliases for people who may have any number of reasons to assume one. A US passport gives you access to a number of countries without the necessity to apply for a visa beforehand. This makes it very valuable to criminals.

But you still have to show a passport to getinto the USA, don't you?

Internet security is pretty good these days. I don't mind if anyone gets my passport number and email/address. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

It appeared that it was possible to view the personal information of the last person who registered on the site. The data on display included name, address, date of birth and passport number.

How was it possible to see information that was never input, such as addresses?

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you mean? That site did ask for the residential address. So, yes, many people have entered that.

• Like 1

Just now, Caldera said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you mean? That site did ask for the residential address. So, yes, many people have entered that.

It didn't when I registered, that's what I mean.

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Yea I registered twice with separate emails even though I don't live in Bangkok and both times I had to input my address

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Sorry to squeeze this in but I dunno where to ask. Some farang the other day posted a photo of himself receiving his Covid injection. Anyone know which thread it was on? Reason why I ask is because a  senior nurse at my local hospital refuses to believe farangs are getting the vaccines. Her hospital has a 'no farang' policy.

Another one on page 3 of this thread Ivor.