What type of local fish would you recommend for making traditional style 'fish and chips'?

csaba81

Grilled grouper over mesquite wood brush with butter and eat with loads of Tabasco sauce. Garden salad.

Tilapia is rubbish fish engineered and raised for peasants but wth can't taste much of anything battered anyway

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

Grilled grouper over mesquite wood brush with butter and eat with loads of Tabasco sauce. Garden salad.

Tilapia is rubbish fish engineered and raised for peasants but wth can't taste much of anything battered anyway

As tabasco would be for peasants that cannot make decent chilli sauce....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

5555. Pepper sauce V chilli sauce!!!. Like comparing shoe polish Vegimite with Marmite ????????????????????????????????

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Nam jim overpowers the fish. Always too much garlic, chili which I love. Fish sauce totally unnecessary. Often too sour. Tabasco is perfect with fish. There's a reason it's sold in 150 countries and the company is about as many years old. You've no idea what you're talking about. It's an absolutely unique sauce and flavor, never overpowers the food. Perfect with oysters.

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, Eindhoven said:

Hmmm...

Take note that most, if not all, of the cheaper frozen Pangasius contains preservatives.  Yes, preservatives and frozen. You might need to rifle through the supermarket freezers to find the slightly more expensive product that is preservative free. Perhaps at Big C Extra; don't remember exactly.

Its not the preservarives I worry about, it's the antibiotics..

4 minutes ago, SnowyWiez said:

Pangasius and Tilapia come to mind for cheap white fish. With that said probably be worth investing a little into a good frying oil to balance out the omega 3's/6's

...and the antibiotics and all the other medication used at the fish farm. 

On 6/26/2021 at 1:23 AM, arick said:

Yes Tilapia also though they look very frosty. 

16246669232466411773337272602058.jpg

Two possible reasons for that

1) Freezer burn - moisture loss whist frozen which is usually  an indication that the product has been stored at -18c for a long time. If the fillets are stuck together its can also be a sign that the product defrosted along the supply chain and refroze which aint good.

2) Glazing. A lot of fish/shrimp has added glaze to protect it. EU law states that weights have to be declared net of glaze, I don't know if that's the same in Thailand. In some cases, glaze can be as much as 15-20% of the total weight so you may not be getting what you pay for.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:35 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I steam Grouper which reduces to about one third of it's size...so not sure how battering would go. Pangasius tastes earthy but half the price of Grouper

It's a bottom grazing fish (no jokes pls) so as you say, it will taste earthy. For me it has a similar taste to the Tilapia family of fish

The best fish I've ever eaten is Chilean sea bass (aka Patagonian Toothfish) and Sable Fish (aka Black cod), both have a pristine white flaky texture and have more flavour than Atlantic cod but you will pay through the nose for them.

• 5 months later...

Most of you guys are lucky to get something close to home. I enjoy the fish and chips , but being from the midwest in the US what I miss is the Friday fish fries made at the local tavern and also wrapped in newspaper. Fresh water perch with fries or potato salad, coleslaw, tarter sauce and a piece of dark rye bread with butter. I'd pay dearly for that. 

• 1 year later...

IIRC The Fish & Chip shop in SUK 25 used to sell 'Red snapper' as fried fish.  Very tasty . i think this was also called Pla Nin Daeng.  Wife get similar pla nin from local fish farm and serves it steamed or fried, (no batter)  Firm white flesh with good taste.

Much missed F&C shop, (above,) also offered 'north sea haddock'  presumably imported.

They found 'no food safety concern'. For many chemicals they found that Vietnamese pangasius contained less than other fish produced elsewhere in the world. One unpleasant thing about this myth is that it is founded in a very real tragedy.

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How do catfish get "pumped full of chemicals" and what chemicals are they?  

All intensively reared fish are given antibiotics and hormones, it's included in their feed, it gives them the right flesh color for the supermarket, changes sex so they dont waste time and energy developing reproductive organs, allows them to build better use proteins in the food. I don't necessarily know of the specifics of Pangasius culture but after agricultural college, I spent 10+ years working in the UK aquaculture industry. 

Another concern is the high levels of heavy metals in the Mekong delta. There is so much negative press on Pangasius, I am sure you can do your own research.

Like I say, I wouldn't say im a fan of them, but I certainly don't rule out eating them once or twice a year. It can't be much worse than eating the products of shrimp farming in Thailand.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They found 'no food safety concern'. For many chemicals they found that Vietnamese pangasius contained less than other fish produced elsewhere in the world. One unpleasant thing about this myth is that it is founded in a very real tragedy.

Absolutely true, this is what I mean - For example, we also feed chemicals to the Salmon in Norway and no one bats an eyelid, they just think its great to get cheaper and pinker fish in the supermarket.

13 minutes ago, markclover said:

ปลาดอรี่ - Plaa Dori.  It is a soft white fish.  It's sold in bags at the market all chopped up and prepared so no bones.

Its proper name is 'pangasius'. This is the fish 'Recom273' is warning us all about.

ปลาดอร์ลี่ แท้ที่จริงแล้วเป็น ปลาสวายขาว                   No bones

Edited by IvorBiggun2