Reagan and Putin in 1988?

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Look at the guy with the camera?

A leading KGB agent in eastern Germany with polo shirt and camera at a state visit in Moscow?

No.

Or did he really have plastic surgery ????

His nose of today is by no means similar to that of the "camera man".

Edited by KhunBENQ

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A leading KGB agent in eastern Germany with polo shirt and camera at a state visit in Moscow?

No.

Or did he really have plastic surgery ????

His nose of today is by no means similar to that of the "camera man".

I thought Putin was ex FSB.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

These kinds of coincidences are fun though.

these aren't coincidences.

most presidents came from the same social group, many have met each other before in one way or another

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

these aren't coincidences.

most presidents came from the same social group, many have met each other before in one way or another

Not Bill Clinton and JFK, their family backgrounds were totally different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not Bill Clinton and JFK, their family backgrounds were totally different. 

correct for Bill Clinton, but many others come from the same social groups

On 6/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, Kwasaki said:

I thought Putin was ex FSB.

As already written.

The other way round.

FSB is the successor organization of the KGB.

Putin was KGB officer in east Germany.

He also had an ID card of the east German Stasi (Ministry for State Security) which allowed him access to most Stasi  facilities.

Photos of the card have found it's way to the net. Widely published.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46525543

The photo is likely from 1985. Quite good for comparison with the thread topic,

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

As already written.

The other way round.

FSB is the successor organization of the KGB.

Putin was KGB officer in east Germany.

He also had an ID card of the east German Stasi (Ministry for State Security) which allowed him access to most Stasi  facilities.

Photos of the card have found it's way to the net. Widely published.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46525543

The photo is likely from 1985. Quite good for comparison with the thread topic,

Interesting I  have always liked the guy, and going off topic I'd just like to see the West have more meetings and talks with the likes of Russia, China and Iran instead of threats and sanctions,  I see Putin as a key negotiator if the 4 got together. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Interesting I  have always liked the guy, and going off topic I'd just like to see the West have more meetings and talks with the likes of Russia, China and Iran instead of threats and sanctions,  I see Putin as a key negotiator if the 4 got together. 

So you like one of the if not the most corrupt and despot rulers. OK.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't know really I haven't met him. 

I obviously don't always form an opinion of someone via media. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't know really I haven't met him. 

I obviously don't always form an opinion of someone via media. 

So you like the guy but you don't know him so you don't know if you like him. It is a well established fact that he is extremely corrupt and a despot, but you don't base yourself on media reports, except when you decide you like him.

Is that an accurate description of what you are saying here?

• Haha 1

Vladimir Putin.  

For any president or prime minister he would be a  worthy opponent. Also, he has been in power now for 20 years.  He may never go away.  "Opposition'?  What opposition?  Land wise Russia is large.  Population wise it is small.  Military wise they are formidable.  So the world will have to deal with Vlad for a long time.  

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

So you like the guy but you don't know him so you don't know if you like him. It is a well established fact that he is extremely corrupt and a despot, but you don't base yourself on media reports, except when you decide you like him.

Is that an accurate description of what you are saying here?

I wouldn't judge you either but you have help at the top of the page to get to understand my intellect.

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Doesn't matter what we think of him.  The Russkies keep re-electing him, and by huge margins. 

And they're better aware of who and what he is than any of us.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Doesn't matter what we think of him.  The Russkies keep re-electing him, and by huge margins. 

Those aren't real elections. Putin murders any potentially threatening opposition. 

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Vladimir Putin.  

For any president or prime minister he would be a  worthy opponent. Also, he has been in power now for 20 years.  He may never go away.  "Opposition'?  What opposition?  Land wise Russia is large.  Population wise it is small.  Military wise they are formidable.  So the world will have to deal with Vlad for a long time.  

Sure. As long as he lives.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Yes, and last week there was a presidential election in Iran which yielded a very clear victor, the week before there was another one, don't remember where now, where the victory went to someone with 99% or so.

Do you really think those elections in Russia give us a true indicationof how he is seen there? 

BTW, I feel he would also get reelected in fair elections, simply because he managed to put Russia back on the world stage, and pride is tremendous there. Does that mean he is not a despot and is not corrupt?

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

BTW, I feel he would also get reelected in fair elections, simply because he managed to put Russia back on the world stage, and pride is tremendous there. Does that mean he is not a despot and is not corrupt?

If Putin were to keel over tomorrow by heart attack, how long do you figure a kinder, gentler, less corrupt replacement would survive?  And how much damage would the oligarchs/mobsters do to Russia with a weaker leader?

I don't propose to speak for the Russian people.  It's up to them to elect the leaders they think they need under their conditions.  Here's what I do know...  Russkies (and the oligarchs) won't tolerate a weak leader.

Edited by impulse

• 3 weeks later...

It might be of interest to some especially Reagan fans to know that there is film/movie about Reagan coming our next year starring Dennis Quaid as Ronnie in later life, I eagerly await this and hope it lives up to expectations.

• 1 month later...

I've seen pics of Putin when he was young, always had that beady-eyed stare.  It's not him, and anyway the source is Fox. 

That camera is probably as much of a camera as the one Connery sported in "From Russia With Love."

cam1.png.7245ead7e81221f8262e12a7a1d630e7.png