Oil spill tar balls wash ashore at Patong, Nai Yang

webfact

1624175103_1.jpg

Tar balls along with other marine debris washed up on Patong Beach today (June 20). Photo: Supplied

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Oil in the waters off the west coast of Phuket have continued to wash ashore, today plaguing Patong Beach and Nai Yang Beach* at the northern end of the island.

At Patong Beach, the oil was washed ashore along with other marine debris, leaving a line of waste from the ocean strewn along the waterline.

Mixing with sand on the beach, the oil formed what are commonly called “tar balls”.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/oil-spill-tar-balls-wash-ashore-at-patong-nai-yang-80404.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-21

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

Did I miss something? So, where is all the oil coming from? 

Longtail and fishing boats  Oil change time? Just a guess as it all goes in the ocean along with all the garbage they throw overboard before heading into port. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Someone commented on the first article that off the coast of Sri Lanka a tanker sank. Maybe that’s it.

that being the case this is going to go on for a while possibly weeks - tragic 

• Like 1

Why anyone would travel to beaches like this - without tarballs - is beyond me. 
I've travelled extensively in my life.  There are many, many, many more places in the world with beaches that make Thai beaches look like a septic tank.

Pictures of our memorable vacation in Covid-restricted, Sandbox Phuket amid the
pristine tarball and garbage stew beaches.

2118158536_Screenshotfrom2021-06-2110-11-53.png.dfbe0f6f83c829b42df0df05bda59942.png

• Like 2

The X Press Pearl that caught fire and sank off the coast of Sri Lanka the beginning of the month is being pointed at as a possible source as it was listed as carrying containers of heavy lubricating oil amongst others , plus it's own propulsion fuel/oil .. Sri Lanka's coastguard have warned for weeks of a pollution disaster after it broke apart in shallow water .. 

IMG_20210621_102453.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

that being the case this is going to go on for a while possibly weeks - tragic 

Yeah, the good news is probably that it will spread out instead of washing up all on the same spot, for the cleanup and the wildlife that’s bad news, though. 

I wonder if we'll ever see the oil analysis.  They can at least identify whether it's bilge oil or crude from the Sri Lanka disaster.   Could be important when it comes time to pay for the cleanup and damages.

But some folks may not want the truth to come out if it's too close to home.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1