Phone calls from the UK

phetchy

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Ok, so I assume from that, the mother uses a landline, in which case no it wont work.

Heres an idea, get a UK skype number, she dials a local number (cheaper) and you can have it ring (divert to) whatever number you choose.

I'll hop in here and say, I call my sister in the UK using Skype. I have a UK Skype number @£38/year, then I pay £10.OO maybe two to three times per year for calls @1.3p per minute. Last month, same as the op, a payment to Delivroo  for 29,750Baht appeared on my KrungThai A/C I called the call centre in BKK and it turns out this was taken from my KT card with the security number. It is being investigated as I type, and intend to call today to check the progress with the ID number I was given. If and when I get any info, I will keep you posted.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You cannot order by phone with Deliveroo. Also not aware that they can make a charge to someone's telephone/Internet bill. That doesn't sound right. 

So, explain how they charged my Thai visa card when I have NEVER used that card for international payments, only ever local. The only company who has my card details is Lazada. Your thoughts please?

Just now, Surasak said:

So, explain how they charged my Thai visa card when I have NEVER used that card for international payments, only ever local. The only company who has my card details is Lazada. Your thoughts please?

ATM fraud is most likely, your card was scanned by a fake ATM front.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

ATM fraud is most likely, your card was scanned by a fake ATM front.

Possible, except I don't use the card in any ATM. I always use another card from an internet bank, and never in my KrungThai bank ATM always Aeon, its cheaper.

Just now, Surasak said:

Post ALL of the details here and I'll try to work it out for you. Ridiculous.

Presumably you meant a Thailand VISA debit card.

Remember the OP wrote PHONE (BILL), not debit or credit card. So you case looks like a case of card fraud, as opposed to a debit on a telephone bill.

If of course the £45 charge was to her card and nothing to do with the phone at all; then that would be the OP's misreporting, wouldn't it?

Clearer now? Yours seems like a simple case of your card details being sold or just used by someone who got hold of them.

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Post ALL of the details here and I'll try to work it out for you. Ridiculous.

Presumably you meant a Thailand VISA debit card.

Remember the OP wrote PHONE (BILL), not debit or credit card. So you case looks like a case of card fraud, as opposed to a debit on a telephone bill.

If of course the £45 charge was to her card and nothing to do with the phone at all; then that would be the OP's misreporting, wouldn't it?

Clearer now? Yours seems like a simple case of your card details being sold or just used by someone who got hold of them.

Thanks all the same, but it is in the hands of the Thai bank. I'll leave it to them to sort. I clearly stated it was a Thai card

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

No worries!.

I found out through my sister as she is on messenger but because of her job doesn't use Facebook.

I am on both but find Messenger very useful along with whatsapp.

Facebook, WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram are all the same company.

• Like 1

How about you calling her all the time using Skype to landline at set times? Emergency calls in the other direction could be landline to Skype? Appreciate your problem as it's difficult to imagine anyone not having access to a smartphone where calls are free including video calls. Do you have a relative or friend in the UK who could set that up for her?

Do you have "Voice over WiFi" activated on your phone? I think that is what it's called on AIS. Maybe something different on other providers.

This can cause calls to be diverted to the internet rather than over the providers phone network. This can cause different, unknown numbers fro each call. 

You don't make it clear whether you both are using landline or mobiles to make the calls.

By mobile, depending on your phone system, e.g. Apple, Android, or some other, there are lots of ways to make free calls: Facetime is Apple dependent, Skype, Viber, Telegram, Signal are just a few. The advantage of all these is that you  can also make video calls.

HTH.

I can't tell you why but in the past when I used a 'Cheap Line' service to call Thailand, a Bangkok number showed up on the recipients phone. I'd suggest your mother is using one of those - like Telestunt?  If she was calling direct, her UK number would show.

If she doesn't have a mobile - get her one, download LINE and do it that way for free - including video calling. I speak to my wife that way every day.

Alternatively, she can get a SIM only deal with one of the operators like Lebara and get quite a good international call allowance as part of a Pay as you Go package.

Example: 2GB Data, 1000 UK texts, 100 International Minutes - £5

or

15 GB data, Unlimited UK Texts, Unlimited UK Minutes, Unlimited International Minutes - £15.

Not all countries are included in International Minutes but Thailand is.

https://mobile.lebara.com/gb/en/

Edited by KhaoYai

Tell your mother to obtain a free "Labara" SIM.  I have one in my Thailand purchased Vivo phone and my Thai wife here with me in the UK uses it several times a week to call her family in Chiang Rai.  It's incredibly cheap. She loads the SIM via the automatic phone with £10.00 from a registered credit card and when she call and talks for about an hour, it only costs about £1.00.  It's very easy to load and to check the cost of each call usage.

25 minutes ago, thornton39 said:

Tell your mother to obtain a free "Labara" SIM.  I have one in my Thailand purchased Vivo phone and my Thai wife here with me in the UK uses it several times a week to call her family in Chiang Rai.  It's incredibly cheap. She loads the SIM via the automatic phone with £10.00 from a registered credit card and when she call and talks for about an hour, it only costs about £1.00.  It's very easy to load and to check the cost of each call usage.

You clearly missed my post above.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:12 PM, monsieurhappy said:

Can you use Line to call a foreign landline?

Download Vyke

https://www.vyke.com/

You put credit on and away you go. I put $2.5 (they charge in $) and it lasts forever. When you call the UK your Thailand number shows up but you are calling via VYKE. You can also get an extra telephone number even a UK number if you wish. This is great if you want to make people think you are calling from the UK