Thailand approves Pfizer-Biontech vaccine for emergency use

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pfizer Thailand submitted an application for the domestic use of its Covid-19 vaccine to the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) according to a report in the Bangkok Post on 12th June (2021).   That would put the approval time at 13 days.    How much quicker would you expect it to be?

Perhaps they could have started . . . sooner?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
43 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps the delay is down to Pfizer's supply abilities or do you think that it is able to produce 20,000,000 doses out of thin air?

Pity they never ordered the Pfizer when it was offered to them last year

Pfizer only applied for Thai FDA approval on 12th June this year!

2 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pfizer Thailand submitted an application for the domestic use of its Covid-19 vaccine to the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) according to a report in the Bangkok Post on 12th June (2021).   That would put the approval time at 13 days.    How much quicker would you expect it to be?

Perhaps they could have started . . . sooner?

Yes, Pfizer should have started the application sooner.  The company has to apply for FDA approval, not the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps the delay is down to Pfizer's supply abilities or do you think that it is able to produce 20,000,000 doses out of thin air?

I am happy that you blame Pfizer, but we all know that the lack of the Thai Government has caused this delay

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The usual period for Thailand FDA approval is 30 days. The vaccine took less than half that time to be approved. Yet some keep complaining about the delay. Ignorance or simply lazy to check the facts. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:
56 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I am happy that you blame Pfizer, but we all know that the lack of the Thai Government has caused this delay

I didn't blame Pfizer, I said "perhaps".   Is that not a possibility?    You do know that the government cannot order vaccines from a company that has not submitted a Thai FDA approval application, don't you?

Your saying that "we all know that the government caused the delay" does not make it fact, "we all" do not know that.   On the other hand "we all" should know that FDA approval has to be granted first.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

It is my understanding that the Pfizer vaccine is targeted for Thai children.  Perhaps this is due to it being approved for youth but perhaps us high risk older folk could use it too.  Can someone explain why the Pfizer will be given to the low risk group.  I am happy for the kids but jealous for sure.

In Western countries the older members of the population have had vaccine priority using Pfizer or Astra Zenica mostly. So yes, these are OK for older folks. Pfizer and Moderna is recommended for 18-39 year olds. I think the jury's still out for vaccinating younger than 18 years old. 2 shots required for maximum protection, 8 -12 weeks in between.  

49 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

The majority of seniors in the UK got the AZ -- NOT the Pfizer!

OK hold your horses - but in many vaccine centres we got the Pfizer but yes the AZ was used too in many places. I do not know percentages. I do know the Pfizer is consistently in trials/data more efficacious (95% +) at preventing this plague, has less side effects, like the well respected Modena has a different bio-technology which makes it easily updated for booster vaccines later,  is the first choice by UK govt for  under 40s, is far more accepted in Israel, South Africa, all Europe, especially Scandinavia  & of course all USA.

The AZ is very good too ( circa 78%)  and Thais should definitely take it too as its prevented Covid spread , reduced symptoms & helped lower deaths in our European hospitals. The AZ has one advantage its cheaper and does not need high cold storage  I am just saying if you have the choice or had to pay Pfizer or Modena as in USA would be very most informed people's choice.

Edited by peter48

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So where has the domestic production been going to prior to 12th June? 

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't blame Pfizer, I said "perhaps".   Is that not a possibility?    You do know that the government cannot order vaccines from a company that has not submitted a Thai FDA approval application, don't you?

Your saying that "we all know that the government caused the delay" does not make it fact, "we all" do not know that.   On the other hand "we all" should know that FDA approval has to be granted first.

Were I the government, I would have gone directly to Pfizer months ago and asked them to submit a request for approval and not just sit on my hands. If somebody is making life preservers and you're drowning, you don't wait around and hope for clearance to throw them in the water.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pfizer only applied for Thai FDA approval on 12th June this year!

Like I said in my original post, it could have been bought last year, in November actually and here months ago

"It had recently emerged that both Pfizer and Moderna asked the FDA to review their vaccines as early as late 2020. According to local media reports, Pfizer also offered to sell their jabs to the Ministry of Public Health in November of last year."

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28599/four-decisions-thailand-got-wrong-in-its-covid-19-fight-so-far/

• Like 2

So if we must give up hope for the Pfizer vaccine this year, we should renew our hope for the end of the 14-day quarantine.  That way, we can take the next available flight outta here, get the shots, and return expediently.

14 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Well about time to,  why did it take Thailand so long to aprove this Pfizer vacine for use in Thailand,  Oh, I forgot lives are cheap here, and I'm OK Jack, that's the attitude of the Government,  and let's wait and see if this so called 20 million vaccine arrive,...... I doubt it very much.... 

Because they had to use all the sinocrap first

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So what happened to all the millions of doses of Astra Zeneca vaccine that were going to be produced at Siam Bioscience under license from A.Z. An email to the communications manager Pucharapan Holim at S.B, guess what, no reply. ????????????

"AstraZeneca, together with Siam Bioscience, has been working tirelessly to ensure that the facility is on track to deliver supply to Thailand and Southeast Asia in June.
Siam Bioscience is the only facility that is dedicated to enable access for Southeast Asia. 

Bangkok, 28 April 2021 – AstraZeneca’s plans to produce its COVID-19 Vaccine in Thailand has made significant progress and the first batch of the vaccine will be ready for delivery to the Thailand Government in June of this year."

Just 5 days left of June, is everybody holding their breath

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Like I said in my original post, it could have been bought last year, in November actually and here months ago

"It had recently emerged that both Pfizer and Moderna asked the FDA to review their vaccines as early as late 2020. According to local media reports, Pfizer also offered to sell their jabs to the Ministry of Public Health in November of last year."

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28599/four-decisions-thailand-got-wrong-in-its-covid-19-fight-so-far/

"Recently emerged" but with no source for that "recent emergence", yet the same rag reports Pfizer's June 12th application for FDA approval for which there is empirical evidence.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Because they had to use all the sinocrap first

There will be nothing but the 2 Chinese vaccines and AZ, That's it. Thailand is already going against recommendations not to give jabs of AZ to people under 50. Blood clots seem to be showing up more in younger people. Plus its cheaper than Pfizer or Moderna. Just ask the 18 countries that have banned the use of AZ in their country

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Were I the government, I would have gone directly to Pfizer months ago and asked them to submit a request for approval and not just sit on my hands. If somebody is making life preservers and you're drowning, you don't wait around and hope for clearance to throw them in the water.

That's because clearance isn't required for that irrelevant analogy.    Application for FDA approval of vaccines is required under Thai law.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, denis911 said:

So what happened to all the millions of doses of Astra Zeneca vaccine that were going to be produced at Siam Bioscience under license from A.Z. An email to the communications manager Pucharapan Holim at S.B, guess what, no reply. ????????????

"AstraZeneca, together with Siam Bioscience, has been working tirelessly to ensure that the facility is on track to deliver supply to Thailand and Southeast Asia in June.
Siam Bioscience is the only facility that is dedicated to enable access for Southeast Asia. 

Bangkok, 28 April 2021 – AstraZeneca’s plans to produce its COVID-19 Vaccine in Thailand has made significant progress and the first batch of the vaccine will be ready for delivery to the Thailand Government in June of this year."

Just 5 days left of June, is everybody holding their breath

The PM is praying for more Vaccine  donations. 

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pfizer Thailand submitted an application for the domestic use of its Covid-19 vaccine to the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) according to a report in the Bangkok Post on 12th June 

So where has the domestic production been going to prior to 12th June? 

Which Thai production of the Pfizer vaccine?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So what has been the function of Pfizer (Thailand) up to this time?

Pfizer have no manufacturing base here in Thailand, according to my research, just the AZ and Siam Bioscience partnership, I may be wrong I am not perfect, haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, denis911 said:

Pfizer have no manufacturing base here in Thailand, according to my research, just the AZ and Siam Bioscience partnership, I may be wrong I am not perfect, haha

Just wondering, as asked, what is the function of this outfit then.... they weren't in a hurry to get approval for imported Pfizer vaccine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, denis911 said:

Just wondering, as asked, what is the function of this outfit then.... they weren't in a hurry to get approval for imported Pfizer vaccine.