Thailand reports 3,995 new COVID-19 cases, 42 more deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

The media report (ABC news on youtube) stated that a close contact between someone and an infected person was no longer than 10 seconds. If I recall, this info was given by the premier of NSW. They reported that this incidence was caught on cctv, and this is how the person got infected. This was the delta variant. It's well known that the delta variant is very transmissible. 

You won’t convince danderman that way.

find a sledgehammer.

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The scary thing about that is not that you, I or anyone on this forum, doesn’t know how many people are infected. The scary thing is that the people masterminding Thailand’s response to  Covid don’t know how many people are infected.

without data, any decision is a shot in the dark. Any decent general should know intelligence is worth its weight in gold.

any decent general...

• Thanks 1

Home self-test regarding Covid-19

I read with surprise that even in Thailand Home self-test are on sale, but from the reaction on the link indicated, the medical authorities say they do not use them because you of the people are too stupid to understand the results, a statement that leaves me astonished because no authority in Europe has ever dared to make such insinuations where they are widely used.

I assume it's to hide the true numbers of infected

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/dept-of-medical-sciences-warns-against-antibody-testing-kits

• Thanks 1

Hundreds of expats on Koh Samui were among those vaccinated with AstraZeneca today. Not only those with work permits, but also family members. The Minister of Public Health visited the island to witness the progress #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1409111637743730699

54 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Seems like there is chaos and nobody wants a migrant worker for love nor money.

the stupid thing is, if they aren’t taken/dumped at the centre, where do they go? They don’t just dematerialise, and they don’t suddenly become uninfected. Do they wander the streets?

Surely having them in one place ready for treatment or at least segregation from the general population is better? If the problem is beds, get more beds! Turning them away is just closing the eyes and pretending the problem isn’t there.

those poor migrant workers. SMH.

should give them yellow stars on their sleeves and confine them to ghettos.

Just saw a news report where employers are dumping their foreign employees by the sides of the roads with their bags and driving away. Issues are many have no visas to be here or work permits.  Discarded like trash. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

I read with surprise that even in Thailand Home self-test are on sale, but from the reaction on the link indicated, the medical authorities say they do not use them because you of the people are too stupid to understand the results, a statement that leaves me astonished because no authority in Europe has ever dared to make such insinuations where they are widely used.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/dept-of-medical-sciences-warns-against-antibody-testing-kits

Easy to use, two line result. One line negative or invalid depending on which line, two lines positive. Same principal as pregnancy test kits.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Easy to use, two line result. One line negative or invalid depending on which line, two lines positive. Same principal as pregnancy test kits.

Where you are buy on Thailand? Pharmacy ?

Edited by ICELANDMAN

Following on from the debate on Israel earlier in the forum and the effectiveness of vaccines and so on, some lighter news in the link below. I have assumed that the publisher has done his / her background homework correctly on these countries before publishing. Yes, this is a forum on Thailand, but it does show that with sufficient action there can be light at the end of the tunnel wherever you are. I am not posting to open up a debate on the individual countries but more as an uplift for me that one day I will read a similar post including Thailand. I might have  a long wait for that day, but as for now, stay safe, stay masked!

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/covid-these-7-countries-are-going-mask-free-making-slow-return-to-pre-pandemic-life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

That is typical of Thailand , money number one , because the rest kits should be free as in many western countries . This war against the virus is not a commercial venture and private hospitals should be seconded to help the nation . I hear that the AZ vaccine supplied to Thailand was being sold at quite a markup by various Thai outlets  , likewise the Pfizer .

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Hundreds of expats on Koh Samui were among those vaccinated with AstraZeneca today. Not only those with work permits, but also family members. The Minister of Public Health visited the island to witness the progress #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1409111637743730699

The gods of tourism must be worshipped at any cost.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, superal said:

Thailand was being sold at quite a markup by various Thai outlets  , likewise the Pfizer .

Where? Various outlets? Even better

I quite happy to pay 10k a jab for Pfizer.

Line me up 2 first dose. My gf won't take sinovac.

Somehow I don't expect a reply

11 minutes ago, superal said:

That is typical of Thailand , money number one , because the rest kits should be free as in many western countries . This war against the virus is not a commercial venture and private hospitals should be seconded to help the nation . I hear that the AZ vaccine supplied to Thailand was being sold at quite a markup by various Thai outlets  , likewise the Pfizer .

I think it would be interesting to have these Covid home tests also for a fee since medical assistance is now very uncertain here, if we have caught Covid without symptoms we no longer need the vaccine and we could travel abroad if it was then certified.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The gods of tourism must be worshipped at any cost.

Have to cover 2nd base as the home plate (Tourism) seems to have bunted the covid vaccines into a pop up, and the catcher (Prayut) is scrambling to ensure it stays caught while at first base (Phuket) seems to have tripped on the bag and the royal gazette has fumbled with the announcement and necessities for the consulates to issue the much valued COE.  if the ball hits the ground and phuket moves to second base then Koh Samui and the Islands will be up next in order to try their hands.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

closing the eyes and pretending the problem isn’t there.

The same method of covid management that Pinocchio and the puppets adopted for the first year of the pandemic........and were incredibly congratulated for this negligent policy and their charade of a somehow miraculously virtually covid free Thailand.

5 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Obviously, the solution is to just shut down everything forever. Just close every single business, and you will be allowed two tokens per week: one token to visit the grocery store, and one to go outside to stretch your legs,  for 1 hour.  At all times you will be able required to stand in a queue, not unlike the Soviet Union.

The entire world should definitely be put on hold, and countless people should be subject to destitution and poverty, because this doomsday virus threatens everyone. After all, unless you are an elderly older person, you may have a less than 1% to die from it, statistically speaking.

Look, I’m not denying the science of COVID, and I recognize that it’s a contagious and deadly virus to certain demographics. That much is true. 

I just don’t agree with that it’s the ultimate doomsday virus that everyone needs to put their life on hold for, for Christ’s sake. Thai Culture is obsessed with the idea of saving face, as if being wrong is the ultimate shame and no one could ever recognize your mistakes as normal and just human nature.

Admitting that you are wrong sometimes is not shameful. That is the human condition. Nobody knows the answers 100%, and it’s purely selfish to insist that you are always right even when the sciences or real world outcome says you are wrong.

I seriously don’t understand the notion behind the idea that if you are wrong sometimes, it means you are a worthless person or a dishonorable loser or social leper. Learning from mistakes and admitting when you are wrong is not a bad thing. I don’t understand why Thai people just can’t admit to mistakes or missteps. 

Well you have fun with that.  

We are 75 percent vaccinated, our cases are basically nothing and we are fully opening with mask wearing not mandatory on July 1st.  

Everything open here even now, just the mask wearing will go away last.  And that's in days.  

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I find this repulsive and sickening, the way the migrants are being treated, the UN and Human Rights watch will be all over this soon and quite rightly so. 

Being locked inside the camps like animals, refused admission to hospitals, being left discarded by the side of roads by employers and one wonders why many have escaped as quickly as possible. Karma will be back to bite Thailand with this one.

This is what happens when health care systems crumble.  It happened in India.  People were dying in the streets lining up for days to get in for help.  

And if you have cancer and need treatment, forget about it.  

Always remember that this is with restrictions.  Without restrictions the numbers would be mind blowing and you wouldn't be able to see a doctor for years.  For that, look at Brazil.  There is no health care there.  You get sick there you die, pure and simple, especially if it's not covid.  

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Where? Various outlets? Even better

I quite happy to pay 10k a jab for Pfizer.

Line me up 2 first dose. My gf won't take sinovac.

Somehow I don't expect a reply

Hospitals , pharmacies , doctors surgeries , you need to get out more Dr ?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't talk in riddles. 

Read your following words:

. I hear that the AZ vaccine supplied to Thailand was being sold at quite a markup by various Thai outlets , likewise the Pfizer .

So now name ONE place that I can acquire a Pfizer or for that matter a AZ vaccine. 

I have tried private hospitals already.

"Pharmacies"???? That's a joke right.

You could be dropped on your head 100x as an infant and still understand that there are literally no vaccines in Thailand.  There is so far to go before filth like expats are eligible on a large scale for a shot.  

Edited by Blumpie
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Blumpie said:

You could be dropped on your head 100x as an infant and still understand that there are literally no vaccines in Thailand.  They are so far to go before filth like expats are eligible on a large scale for a shot.  

Think your quoting wrong guy. I'm aware of the non supply of vaccines.

You need to convince @superal who seems to think you can grab it at a pharmacy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superal said:

The AZ vaccine is produced and sold at cost,  there is no profit being made from this one.   Pfizer is different.

Thailand does not have western resources to throw at a problem like this and it is pure fantasy to think otherwise.   It was always a risk to stay here during a pandemic for anyone vulnerable to this who could have returned to the west as there isn’t the money or the hospital facilities to cope if it does get out of hand.    If I was vulnerable to this virus I would already be planning my exit or would have gone already, rather than fantasising about Thailand spending money they do not have.   

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

You have ignored the most important figure, deaths per million of population.

Most of the west is thousands of deaths per million, how does Thailand compare?

Per Worldometer, in the New Deaths per Million Thailand is ranked #54 of 222, so in the top 25th percentile.

12 minutes ago, James105 said:

The AZ vaccine is produced and sold at cost,  there is no profit being made from this one.   Pfizer is different.

Thailand does not have western resources to throw at a problem like this and it is pure fantasy to think otherwise.   It was always a risk to stay here during a pandemic for anyone vulnerable to this who could have returned to the west as there isn’t the money or the hospital facilities to cope if it does get out of hand.    If I was vulnerable to this virus I would already be planning my exit or would have gone already, rather than fantasising about Thailand spending money they do not have.   

You first sentence is bang on, your second paragraph starts faltering on very dodgy ground. 

The reason they have been scrambling for vaccines is not budget, it was very poor planning last year.

Vaccine procurement budget unlimited: Health Minister

The Minister of Public Health has declared in a parliamentary session that Thailand doesn’t have any budget restriction when it comes to vaccine procurement

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2