NIDA poll: Nearly three quarters of Thais DO NOT agree with reopening Thailand to foreign tourists

webfact

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they are caught in a revolving door regarding whether Thai's and the Thai government wants or does not want tourists? 

One week they announce more restrictions, the next a pronouncement of openings. 
One week plans to encourage travel, the next more bar and restaurant closings.  I feel like this is the "Twilight Zone" 
image.png.9933361d59c8fbbf485e800722cef641.png

The fact is, the government doesn't care what the people want, it's quite irrelevant.

They don't know what they want either, I don't believe there is any plan - all we see is a constant stream of knee jerk reactions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They don't know what they want either, I don't believe there is any plan - all we see is a constant stream of knee jerk reactions.

Hence government run anything.  Many years ago a wise man told me, remember, most actions are initiated to create the illusion of progress.  Here the Thai government has no true plan, but feels compelled to "do something" so it throws <deleted> against the wall hoping some of it sticks.  And, at the very least when pressed to say how they are handling the crisis they can point to all of their actions without of course being pressed into answering are any of them effective. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai people have given PM Prayut Chan-o- cha's government's 120 day plan to reopen to foreign tourism a big thumbs down.

Weren't we told only last week that a high percentage wanted it opened?

I guess it depends on who you ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

So they're not vaccinated but don't want vaccinated people near them. Native logic at its finest

They've no need to worry, under current conditions Guantanamo Bay looks a far better option

I'm un-vaccinated, I don't really want anyone near me... vaccinate or not.

• Like 1

NIDA poll: Nearly three quarters of Thais DO NOT agree with reopening Thailand to foreign tourists 

That are the people who have got a job and no money problems . 

The other 25%  they just  trying  to survive.

5 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Why is a "disease" that is 99.97% non fatal getting this much attention?

It's not like it's the Spanish flu or bubonic plague <deleted>

It's horribly debilitating,  painful  and causes long  term damage.  There is no cure or easy  treatment.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Always one to lower the tone of the conversation. Of course bar prostitutes in Pattaya want sexpat farang back, as well as those with ulterior interests. 

The normal Thai of course don't want them back, as we are worried about getting infected with Covid. Ask any countries' citizens the same question and you'll find the majority don't want tourists until they have been vaccinated. 

France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Turkey, they all want the tourist back. Vaccinated or not. You know why ? They need the f*****g money !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thomas J said:

And you can be in a bar or on a beach in Cuba with a glass of beer or some Caribbean rum. 

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Always one to lower the tone of the conversation. Of course bar prostitutes in Pattaya want sexpat farang back, as well as those with ulterior interests. 

The normal Thai of course don't want them back, as we are worried about getting infected with Covid. Ask any countries' citizens the same question and you'll find the majority don't want tourists until they have been vaccinated. 

France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Turkey, they all want the tourist back. Vaccinated or not. You know why ? They need the f*****g money !

• Like 1

Who are the foreigners this majority of Thai people don't want the country opened to?

Who are those Thai citizens thinking of when they answer the poll question? It would be good to see some more specific details.

Edited by Lee4Life

Polls only show what the pollsters want you to see.

Question:

are you concerned about the economy.. yes

are you concerned about the unemployment rate.. yes

are you concerned about people slipping into poverty.. yes

are you worried about the number of resort businesses failing.. yes

would you be in favour of opening borders to allow resorts to operate and revenue to come in.. yes.

Question:

are you concerned about the recent rise in infections.. yes

are you concerned that you or family members might be infected.. yes

are you worried that it might spread nationwide.. yes

are you worried about the lack of hospital facilities and vaccines.. yes

are you worried that the health system cannot cope.. yes

would you like to see borders fully opened... No.

21 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Why is a "disease" that is 99.97% non fatal getting this much attention?

Because it appears to kill around 2% of those it infects.....where did you get that incorrect number?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

That's why you enter at the other end of the island

The original post was : under current conditions Guantamo Bay looks a far better option.

Reply to this post : and you can be in a bar on a beach in Cuba with a glass of beer or some Caribbean rum.

My reply was to mention that it is not possible to move from Gitmo to Cuba. I know where to enter, have been there long enough.