Thailand loses 550,000 tourism jobs in Q2 after new virus wave

webfact

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

About a month ago I remember reading how Thailand's unemployment rate was 1.96% and that the number unemployed was 760,000. Now they say that 400000 jobs were lost in Q1 and 550000 in Q2.

Do the tourist board boffins work out the unemployment figures?

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-economy-jobs-idUSL3N2NB0QX

They all got jobs with Grab and Food Panda I think.

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

These numbers don't reflect what I see everyday, there alot more closed than open and many shop houses are empty and not rented. Are they putting lipstick on a pig? 

Love that lipstick on a pig????not heard that b4.am

Nd yes i agree

"The outbreak has shut 36% of tourism businesses temporarily and 4% permanently?"

Yer, right - who are they trying to kid. Whole towns are deserted ghost towns.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

it really is quite disgusting that millions are without jobs,businesses closing at a crazy rate as they cant hold on any longer and what does govt say.let them eat cake!well that didnt end well !nothing in assistance to these businesses or to the unemployed.have to delay those chinese sub buys a little longer but the chinese train set full ahead on that and load up the offshore bank accs.needs to be a reckoning,stop the mai pen rai myopic smiles deal,it wont change till u change it and as for the 40 billion dollar man .that about sums it up.get the toilet paper out  and clean the place up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

What happened to the success of domestic tourism that saw hotels almost fully booked during the first and second waves?

I think that was spurred on by the government subsidies some Thai's I know got some great deals in 5 star resorts the one complaint they all had was the cost of food and drink 

1 hour ago, SteveB2 said:

"The outbreak has shut 36% of tourism businesses temporarily and 4% permanently?"

Yer, right - who are they trying to kid. Whole towns are deserted ghost towns.

I think Phuket is not as bad as that, Phuket town live is almost normal 

Has anyone else found higher than normal falang prices being quoted when shopping for non food items?

I am probably not the only expat spending less locally and more online, ie Lazada. This can't be helping the local economy, but their actions are making me shop else where. They are digging deeper their own grave? 

9 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think Phuket is not as bad as that, Phuket town live is almost normal 

4% permanently, and what idiot will open a permanently shut business when there are no customers?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Has anyone else found higher than normal falang prices being quoted when shopping for non food items?

I am probably not the only expat spending less locally and more online, ie Lazada. This can't be helping the local economy, but their actions are making me shop else where. They are digging deeper their own grave? 

I never pay farang prices. Where do you live?

1 hour ago, rupert the bear said:

it really is quite disgusting that millions are without jobs,businesses closing at a crazy rate as they cant hold on any longer and what does govt say.let them eat cake!well that didnt end well !nothing in assistance to these businesses or to the unemployed.have to delay those chinese sub buys a little longer but the chinese train set full ahead on that and load up the offshore bank accs.needs to be a reckoning,stop the mai pen rai myopic smiles deal,it wont change till u change it and as for the 40 billion dollar man .that about sums it up.get the toilet paper out  and clean the place up.

Who are you blaming?

It's the same the world over. My brother in Aberdeen has many businesses, including two pubs, which have been shut for about a year. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, lavender19 said:

They are.

Maths is not a strong subject here.

50% business open 

36% closed temp 

4% closed down 

Where the other 10% are no one knows

the answer my friend is , blowing in the wind , the answer is blowing in the wind

5 hours ago, Blumpie said:

It's ridiculous to even consider anything otherwise.

Take this example:  In most countries you are told to avoid all unnecessary travel.  All unnecessary travel.  Tourism is not necessary travel.  

When you go against advice like this your insurance skyrockets (which you must have).  Plus COVID insurance.  Plus this plus that plus maybe you will sleep on a cardboard box or spend your holiday in a country where the health care system is admittedly crumbling.  

These people are completely and utterly nuts.  

I agree with you 100%. They are so crazy, brain dead people running the country. Who knows what they will do next. I think they should be removed.

4 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I know!

These guys are crazy.  Even Chinese won't come.  If they dare do so they will be blacklisted when they get back.  If you need your passport renewed there they won't do it.  

Seriously, these guys have absolutely no idea what they are doing.  

I'm waiting for the big opening when vaccinated tourists can flow in with no quarantine, hopefully their personal vaccination will stop Delta, either way you can still catch and spread it, so your going to be locked down into quarantine when you return, and returning may be more tricky if your carrying delta.

Thai newspaper said this morning that the dominant strain of corona in LOS will be Delta.

Then if you can tune into Aussie news just look at how serious they are taking Delta, the whole country now almost in complete lockdown over an outbreak that started from one person in Bondi, now spreading across states, so what does Thailand think? people will flock in with Delta being the dominant strain, uncontrolled , hospitals-- choked , what's??? your covid cover going to do about that, no beds available, sorry go to your hotel and stay there, no drinking no GF no wife, just go to your hotel. careful not to spread Delta around on the way, that's if you have it because we won't test you if the hospitals are full--- good luck.

If your on a beech front , no playing in the sandbox, no refund on plastic spades and buckets.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

do you have any official numbers ?

Would anybody believe any official numbers from the government anyway.

Transparency, honesty and truthfulness are not a part of this governments agenda.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Transparency, honesty and truthfulness are not a part of this governments agenda.

Official numbers have to be cleared officially, seeing we dont' know who died of what in the mountains or rice farms we can not include these numbers officially until officially advised.

Hope that helps.

• Haha 1

“Thailand loses 550,000 tourism jobs in Q2 after new virus wave”

A more profound revelation I could not imagine. I only wish the announcement would have come last year, as it should have. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Accurate or not they are official... unlike some random number someone has pulled from their a r s e .

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

Not sure what you mean by falang prices. Places like Homepro, Tesco, Big C just have a single price.

Over the last few weeks I have been in the market for some quite biggish ticket price items, Power Washer, Drill, Angle Grinder, Welding Machine etc. Everywhere I tried was circa double Lazada price. As you can imagine, I got everything I needed from Lazada

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

I'm waiting for the big opening when vaccinated tourists can flow in with no quarantine, hopefully their personal vaccination will stop Delta, either way you can still catch and spread it, so your going to be locked down into quarantine when you return, and returning may be more tricky if your carrying delta.

Thai newspaper said this morning that the dominant strain of corona in LOS will be Delta.

Then if you can tune into Aussie news just look at how serious they are taking Delta, the whole country now almost in complete lockdown over an outbreak that started from one person in Bondi, now spreading across states, so what does Thailand think? people will flock in with Delta being the dominant strain, uncontrolled , hospitals-- choked , what's??? your covid cover going to do about that, no beds available, sorry go to your hotel and stay there, no drinking no GF no wife, just go to your hotel. careful not to spread Delta around on the way, that's if you have it because we won't test you if the hospitals are full--- good luck.

If your on a beech front , no playing in the sandbox, no refund on plastic spades and buckets.

Pity Australia did not take vaccination programme seriously same as Thailand that's why they are in trouble now 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, inThailand said:

These numbers don't reflect what I see everyday, there alot more closed than open and many shop houses are empty and not rented. Are they putting lipstick on a pig? 

You are right, that's two less as it requires one to hold the pig....549,998 jobs lost.

2 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Pity Australia did not take vaccination programme seriously same as Thailand that's why they are in trouble now 

Australias troubles are miniscule compared to Thailands.

But you are right about their vaccination program. The politicians as usual have made a complete mess of the vaccine rollout.

• Like 2