Phuket Sandbox scare: No truth to rumors of cases of "Delta" variant as island prepares to reopen

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook declared that Phuket was safe after a local doctor dismissed social media claims that ten people had tested positive for the Delta variant, formerly called the Indian variant. 

This came on the eve of the much heralded reopening of Phuket to foreign tourists today, July 1st - the Phuket Sandbox.

Dr Koosak Kookiatkoon of the Phuket Department of Public Health said that all tests were verified by the Bang Jo testing center in Thalang district. 

He had received no notification from them that any of the samples had the new variant. 

Five people who arrived from Bangkok tested positive for Covid-19 with three now in hospitals and two others undergoing more tests. 

Twenty other contacts of the group were in quarantine.

The social media scare was caused after claims that five people on Tuesday and five yesterday had the Delta variant.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-07-01
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He had received no notification from them that any of the samples had the new variant. 

In no way is this evidence that they didn't have the Delta virus........I am not saying it was or even might have been the Delta variant........but saying "you have not be told it was" is a very weak statement to make.

17 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

The honourable doctor is quite right... the Delta variant will be arriving on mass tomorrow between 07:00 & 08:00am on 3 GO flights from Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.  (source Phuket International Arrivals data - Flightradar24).

I was under the impression that under the so called Sandbox Sandpit scheme, tourists will only be issued with COE in those countries considered to be low or medium risk.  According to the latest list, India is deemed to be a high risk country. 

Those same 3 flights were also scheduled to arrive today.  As far as I can see they didn't.  I'd expect the same result tomorrow.

3 hours ago, 007 RED said:

The honourable doctor is quite right... the Delta variant will be arriving on mass tomorrow between 07:00 & 08:00am on 3 GO flights from Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.  (source Phuket International Arrivals data - Flightradar24).

I was under the impression that under the so called Sandbox Sandpit scheme, tourists will only be issued with COE in those countries considered to be low or medium risk.  According to the latest list, India is deemed to be a high risk country. 

Were you so naïve as to believe the tosh spouted by the greedy Phuket Administration.

The rhetoric was always to get the public to accept the opening of Phuket for Tourists.

Costs in terms of Human sacrifice was always classed as collateral damage, in search of the Tourist Dollar.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Were you so naïve as to believe the tosh spouted by the greedy Phuket Administration.

The rhetoric was always to get the public to accept the opening of Phuket for Tourists.

Costs in terms of Human sacrifice was always classed as collateral damage, in search of the Tourist Dollar.

IF they just wanted the tourist dollar they would have flung open the doors with just a covid test on arrival 

Interesting to note, if you arrive on a plane were an infection is detected you will end up in quarantine - what are the chances of that happening, isn't the false positive rate something like 1%

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

In no way is this evidence that they didn't have the Delta virus........I am not saying it was or even might have been the Delta variant........but saying "you have not be told it was" is a very weak statement to make.

It’s almost tacit confirmation that delta cases were recorded. How hard would it have been to simply say that the cases were alpha (or whatever) not delta. Instead he goes out of his way to say that he hasn’t been told they were delta.

plausible deniability?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

IF they just wanted the tourist dollar they would have flung open the doors with just a covid test on arrival 

Had they done that, the locals may have revolted. They are close to revolting now, at least at most bars I have visited in the good old days.

• Like 1

No worries, as all the flight crews and passengers have all had their 2 vaccinations, and not a one

of them have been near any unvaccinated friends or family so there will be no Delta variants

coming to Phuket.  Do you really believe this.  Or that no one in any vehicle coming to Phuket from anywhere else, 

has had any contact with a family member or friend that may have accidently gave them this little

bug as a departing gift?  No Worries Phuket, Carry on, and good luck.

Geezer

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Maybe not relevant but in Israel they had a small outbreak of Delta but found Pzyser was 80% something percent effective against Delta 

Shame we can't get our hands on some.

19 hours ago, 007 RED said:

If this is correct has someone lost there common sense. the sandbox will Not work if Flights arrive from any one for these country;s it will close within 30 days  

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Shame we can't get our hands on some.

I have not seen many reports on Pzyse having any problems with people dying or bad side effects and yet Thailand keeps chasing everything else but Pzuser, i wonder why

18 minutes ago, BestB said:

I have not seen many reports on Pzyse having any problems with people dying or bad side effects and yet Thailand keeps chasing everything else but Pzuser, i wonder why

Prayuts plan wasn't centered on buying in vaccines.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, Phuketshrew said:

With all the BS the officials have been spouting lately about the sandbox and number of vaccinations I am finding it increasingly difficult to believe anything they say ...

I gave up believing in what any politicians in any country say years ago.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I gave up believing in what any politicians in any country say years ago.

Sad, but true.......very few go into politics with "serving the public" at the forefront of their minds........at best there is a wish to impose a politic ideology, bit more often than not it is pure self, self, self.

• Like 2