ASEANNOW.com - Thaivisa.com rebrands and expands beyond Thailand

webfact

I see a good idea to open up the whole area info globally, "All in One" is what could drive more visitors indeed, but its going to be a considerable amount of work & investment to gain the targeted audiences. Meanwhile a lot well done via ThaiVisa that could be improved on some main Thai/English topics that would drive more views/visitors in my point of views.
Anyway interesting, ... 
Best,
J.

20 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Why did the person who chose the new domain name want "a Sean now"? Is he/she desperate for an Irish man?

Sorry, but that;s about as funny as a poke in the eye.

C- must do better.

27 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

How much would be the costs to do so?How much would be the monthly costs if you start without advertisers?

The main cost in setting up a new forum is time. Servers are now essentially free and excellent forum software is also free.

Starting from scratch, you would have the advantage of being able to use more modern, more cleverly designed forum software such as Discourse. It allows your contributors to build their reputation in an enjoyable, gamified way, and has a lot of small features that make it easier for them to add content and encourage engagement on your forum

Discourse is free if you install and manage it on your own server.

Cloud servers start at €2.49 per month for a cloud server with 2 GB of RAM but you would be better off starting at €4.90 for 4 GB of RAM, to give you more headroom. Increase the RAM as you gain more users, but it will be a while before you need to do that.

You can also rent a managed version of Discourse for around $100 per month with they run for you on their server, you simply login with your admin username and password. Personally I think that is wildly overpriced, but it might be worth it if you are uncomfortable with the technical stuff and just want to focus on building your community.

There are, of course, many other types of software forum. The point is to find one that will make it as easy as possible for your users to become engaged. The really old types of forum software, such as vBulletin or the IPB sofware used by ThaiVisa, have been updated over the decades but, at heart, they are dinosaurs. They only survive because big forums don't have much choice apart from sticking with the software they started with.

• Thanks 1

Jack of all trades, master of none. . . Now more like "master of one, trying to be a jack of all trades"?

How is trying to group expats from multiple different countries all on one website in any way beneficial (and not lead to a cacophony of non-useful information)?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Poet said:

Despite the TAT-style claims about how well the forum has been doing, we all know the reality, and we all know why it has happened, no point going into that. Suffice to say that the turnover of good contributors has been high, while the dregs and loonies tend to accumulate.

very good post.    ( only exception i take is to the "we all know the reality". )  

I am not so sure the dregs and loonies which accumulate know the reality .

in fact they are probably enjoying the dumbing down of all content.

No more audacious people with opposing and often intelligent views.  

"OK RUMAK,   You're outta here " !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember that it all changed when someone tied all this to a new health insurance business. The Apple and Android apps went dead. I got a day off for asking about clickbait.

I’m sure my data is protected and the management will not hand over any personal data. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What... you mean you were inspired to join this forum initially because it was called ThaiVisa ????

No, but typing in Thai Visa to the search engine brought me here.

Anybody looking for requirements to get an Asian Now will now have just as much success. :) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, misterjames said:

I agree, and not only that but if our user data has been transferred to another country we should have been notified.

We should also have the choice to accept or decline our user data being transferred with an option to close our accounts and have all of our data removed if we do not accept.

Well if you are unwise enough to include ANY critical user data on ANY forum you only have yourself to blame.

Board name, unique email address, whatever you WISH people to know about you - that's it.

There are a few personal friends / acquaintances who could identify me here....because I set it that way.

Up to you.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I find the new fonts in this new forum difficult to read . Could someone make the fonts darker and more 3D?

I just found a CHROME extension called Dark Mode. I fiddle farted with Stylus and didn't like it. This Dark Mode extension worked instantly and is easier on both your monitor and your eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's an interesting point. 

I think the vast majority of expats living in Asean know what Asean means compared to Asia. But if you ask the average American on the street for example, I would presume only a small percentage would have a clue what Asean means. 

Ducking for cover, when I lived in USA, I found the average American on the street didn't even know where Asia WAS!

Often referred to as part of "that there overseas"     I too, wish the emojis were working! 

• Haha 1

The last Paragraph reminds me of what happened when a small, staff caring Family Business i worked for, got swallowed up by a huge Conglomorate basically only interested in 'The Bottom Line'.    At the new owners briefing they said   ''No need to worry, for you the staff nothing will change and you carry on as normal''.   Within two years they had stripped out the company and fired off (redundant) over 100 of the staff !

• Like 1