Overseas tourists finally roam free on Thai island of Phuket

webfact

10 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Phuket is the island.  Not a town/village.

Phuket Town is a town.

You can book a week at the busier Town and a week on a quiet beach.

But it was just am example.

You can also go to Patong and Rawai or wherever. 

I just meant that you don't need to stay stuck to same place for 2 weeks.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not everywhere some areas are quiet busy, are you in Phuket? 

traffic jams many times in an around phuket town or heading to the airport from Chern Talay>

Edited by zzzzz

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

You can spend 1 week in Phuket and 1 week in Kata, for instance. 

HUH:
phuket is, which you seem not to know, both an island and a province. 
or have you meant to say Patong

a week in Phuket town is 6 days to long  LOL

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

traffic jams many times in an around phuket town or heading to the airport from Chern Talay>

They're all heading out - as the tourists flood in.. ????

It's an island need to keep it balanced...

3 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

I was always taught to help old ladies - then they'd been two ???? - carries on like that who knows where it would end up - clean in no time.. ????

I have no idea what you are talking about.

at this time of year onshore winds and currents bring a ton of trash onto Phuket’s western beaches EVERY DAY. One reason why it is low season, tourists don’t like trash on the beaches.

the old lady to which  I referred, is employed by the tessaban to clean the beaches. Usually there is a team of 4, today just one lady.

can you explain yourself more clearly?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

at this time of year onshore winds and currents bring a ton of trash onto Phuket’s western beaches EVERY DAY. One reason why it is low season, tourists don’t like trash on the beaches.

Actually, this year (2021) and last year (2020), at this time of the year, were and are massively better on Kao Khad western facing beach with SIGNIFICANTLY less trash than previous years, due to the lack of tourist boats (that in previous years dumped their trash over the side in Chalong bay at the end of every day), and only a relatively small amount to clean up, compared to previous years.  

Kao Khad western facing beach is and has been very very nice during this global pandemic, relative to previous years - in terms of FAR FAR less trash.

I have not checked the other western beaches for a comparison to the past, but I suspect the same is also true for those beaches.  Less tourists = less garbage.

5 hours ago, Ganesh108 said:

I said 'would', conjunctive. I'm there anyway, so I don't have to go through all this. But thanks for the helpful hint. 

It's all academic then, kinda pointless post.

• Confused 1

If every single beach in Thailand is not in mint condition after they have had a closure for 16 months, both on the islands and mainland, they want shooting before dawn.

They can't blame the tourists now for filthy beaches and litter.

Why not have all the military conscripts and lower grade criminals out assisting cleaning the beaches of debris? Thai rak Thai, and all that macaroni.

They certainly have nothing else to do.

Thailand tries to promote itself as a "supposedly  premier tourist destination?" ............................... My ass!

With all the palaver and hoops, (and there are a ridiculous amount to jump through), I will stay where I am for the sake of chicken and rice and a couple of Heineken's, no bars or nightlife and an empty beach!....................Nah!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Actually, this year (2021) and last year (2020), at this time of the year, were and are massively better on Kao Khad western facing beach with SIGNIFICANTLY less trash than previous years, due to the lack of tourist boats (that in previous years dumped their trash over the side in Chalong bay at the end of every day), and only a relatively small amount to clean up, compared to previous years.  

Kao Khad western facing beach is and has been very very nice during this global pandemic, relative to previous years - in terms of FAR FAR less trash.

I have not checked the other western beaches for a comparison to the past, but I suspect the same is also true for those beaches.  Less tourists = less garbage.

I’m sure that is so. Less of any kind of people, equals less trash.

I mostly go to Nai harn, kata noi, and kata. Nai harn is the best trash wise atm, but quite busy with dog walkers and exercise people. Kata noi I stopped going to, simply because there is too much trash. Kata is bearable because the northern end is protected by the headland, so all the trash piles up at the southern half.

I don’t know how it compares to previous years tbh, because I never used to go to kata, even in low season, because of the tourists. Atm, it’s bearable to walk along because at least half of it is ok, but I wouldn’t want to sit at the southern end.

of course, chalong has tourist boats leaving from the pier, so no tourists, no boats, little trash.

Edited by wensiensheng

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Newly arrived overseas tourists on Thailand's island of Phuket were able to roam free without quarantine on Friday

But will roaming charges apply .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, vandeventer said:

What's the sense of being a tourist anywhere right now, you can do this in your own country. They don't even have a drink in their hands.

They have blood on their hands instead as the elderly and vulnerable die because the vaccines for the elderly and vulnerable went to Phuket so these tourists could enjoy their holiday.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

A fact of life, when you are dealing and getting revenue from millions of tourists, you have to accept you are going to get a lot of trash. It is up to their local government departments to allocate funds and resources for beach cleaning daily.

Never mind we are going to put this tax, make people pay a fine, and all the other threats etc

As a country you are getting trillions of baht earned from tourism. You get tourists, you get litter. They are not going to behave like robots or super self respecting, responsible citizens many of them will leave trash and behave irresponsibly, a sad fact of life.

Yes, blatant rule breaking and deliberate fouling of beaches, levy a fine. But stop all the threats in newspapers and on social media, you sound like Nazis.

Yes sure, everybody on here will insist they are responsible and safely discard of their waste, it is a known fact, most don't.

All European and UK countries I know, have correct and proper beach cleaning operations in force. They allocate resources for this sort of thing.

It is so obvious a step it shouldn't need saying..........except Thailand, which thinks money is just to keep constantly flowing in without any repairs and renewals and / or upgrades to facilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They have blood on their hands instead as the elderly and vulnerable die because the vaccines for the elderly and vulnerable went to Phuket so these tourists could enjoy their holiday.

Rather extreme dont you think?

2 minutes ago, sungod said:
3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Rather extreme dont you think?

As if the prioritization of vaccines wasn't a mess, even before the sandbox.  Prioritization wouldn't have been any better if Phuket was still locked down and destitute, with no hope of recovery for years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The fact the photo shows only 2 people in the entire hotel speaks volumes

2021-07-02T191232Z_1_LYNXNPEH6114E_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-PHUKET.JPG

Oh, but this is merely an example of how well organised is the Thai social distancing you see, each few tourist have a whole resort to themself!

Such a good deal.

And these particular couple were so well behaved we didn't make them to wear the tracking bracelet

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shdmn said:

The doom mongers are grasping for any sign of failure after having been proven wrong yet again.  A few months from now, when high season kicks in, they will be complaining about too many tourists.

This is quite an easy bet that I am wiling to make. Its just an educated guess (on past performance) that I think you are 100% wrong. 

Are you willing to take the bet? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jennyau said:

Out and about in Cherngtalay markets in Boat Avenue last night was fabulous. Lots of people enjoying the food and drinks. Great place to be in Phuket right now. 

Lots of people enjoying the food and drinks in Boat Avenue= not tourists. Those are long time expats and locals .

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

eh?  I don't own a smartphone, but frankly how can anybody get on a flight to Thailand without one, because aren't you supposed to register for one of those apps and show it before you board the plane or are allowed to leave the airport at Thailand?  Are they not checking or pinging you?  What and where does one "agree" or certify they are OK with being tracked?  What if one leaves their phone in their room, or turned off, or in the safe in the room?  Are the Thai officials saying they expect people to keep their phones on their persons at all times?  Would like to see the rules in print about and any details about that if they exist

They aren't very expensive now, an iPhone 6s is a nice phone that still runs quickly, plenty on sale second-hand for around £50:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255038433882

I'm sure we'll hear more about the tracking rules as more "sandbox" trip reports come in, I'll be interested to hear about what is happening.

2 minutes ago, nkg said:

They aren't very expensive now, an iPhone 6s is a nice phone that still runs quickly, plenty on sale second-hand for around £50:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255038433882

I'm sure we'll hear more about the tracking rules as more "sandbox" trip reports come in, I'll be interested to hear about what is happening.

i actually bought a motorola G7 Power.  It is bigger than I expected.  I only have a 3g voice and text only phone at the moment and am debating what kind of carrier or data plan I will end up with by the end of the year when 3g goes away.  I know a smart phone is useful and I won't abuse it and it has features that come in very handy so I will eventually decide what to do and then activated something.  I kind of like the Apple SE which is smaller.  I hate Apple as a company.  I don't like how much the MOTO and Android are entwined with Google.  Google Docs apparently wants to put everything on the cloud.  All your google, youtube and other stuff is tracked.  I am old fashioned and don't like such things being done.  And of course I simply want some phone or service that I can use here in the USA and of course in Thailand.  I don't want to buy some Thai plan and registering with my passport.

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

This is quite an easy bet that I am wiling to make. Its just an educated guess (on past performance) that I think you are 100% wrong. 

Are you willing to take the bet? 

I bet you all that Phuket would open.  I win.  Buh bye now. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, connda said:

Not only that, but they are openly flaunting the strict Thai mandate to wear masks while in public.  Where are the police? 6,000 THB fine!!!  12,000 for two!!! 
Watch as the mask-mandate is suddenly no longer enforced.  Don't want to spook the handful of tourist who actually came.

Meanwhile, over at the newly constructed RTP sandbox control center…

458B3EAA-D09F-417B-9812-A25C63A1AC59.gif

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

the 1,000,000 or so vacs hardly means the rest of the country does without>

They need re start tourism and the economy somewhere, and where better than an island set up flor tourism?

The leadership screwed up putting all their eggs in one basket, ( locally produced vaccine)

and not ordering more from outside

18 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

the 1,000,000 or so vacs hardly means the rest of the country does without>

They need re start tourism and the economy somewhere, and where better than an island set up flor tourism?

The leadership screwed up putting all their eggs in one basket, ( locally produced vaccine)

and not ordering more from outside

Are you dense.  The use of vaccines to vaccinate younger people could have been used elsewhere to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable here in Bangkok and the other provinces and thus help in reducing the Hospital beds that are at max capacity and possibly reduce the number in the ICU and on ventilators.  However, I do agree tourism to some extent needs to be re-opened, but why treat Phuket any different than Bangkok and those going into ASQ, they are still exposed to unvaccinated folks here in BKK after they exit from and ASQ.  Yes this government has screwed up, but to hang not only all their hopes on Phuket as well as the few vaccines they have, one of which is showing not very effective against the Delta Variant, it could all go pear shaped when those folks return home, are tested and found to be an asymptomatic carrier.  Good on some tourism returning but it already was through the regular ASQ's and not with the severe restrictions that the sandbox poses, especially all of the testing each tourist has to complete and how they are still quarantined for a day after each test to ensure they are negative.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1