Return to UK then back to BKK - Non-Immigrant O Visa queries

I'm toying with the idea of returning to the UK in the next couple of weeks to get vaccinated, see family etc and return in September.

I hold a non-immigrant O visa (Thai wife) which expires in late September.  I had in mind to return in early September, to potentially allow for 14 days ASQ then an opportunity to renew the visa before it expires.

However, I would rather avoid quarantine if possible so could hold out a bit longer and return in (say) October or later, in case there was any change of regulations for vaccinated travellers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might approach this? Could I return on visa exemption and then get a new non-immigrant O visa once here? I am sure in the past I had to leave the country to do this though.

Relevant info: UK Passport, I have Thai Bank account which has 400,000 baht in there ready. Living in BKK.

Thanks.

I assume you have a extension of stay based upon marriage (is not a visa).

You could get a single entry non-o visa from the embassy in London or enter visa exempt and then apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration.

The non-o visa application requires about all the same supporting documents as the extension and you have to make 2 trips to immigration to get it.

If it was me I would probably apply for the non-o visa at the embassy.

• Like 1

Just now, Roger That said:

Thanks ubonjoe, very helpful.

Let’s say I also planned to visit UK a couple of times next year, what are my options given that it is a single entry visa?

Buy a multi reentry permit. 3800baht.

Single 1000baht

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtain your new 12 month extension in September. Also buy a reentry permit. 

Then consider trip.

What will be important is Thailand situation at that time (Oct plus). Anything could happen during now and then.

That’s the other option, but I feel like I’ve waited long enough and there is always a chance that things will change and I won’t be able to go then, or it will be considerably less appealing (e.g. needing to do hotel quarantine in UK).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger That said:

(e.g. needing to do hotel quarantine in UK).

You will already need to quarantine under the existing rules covering amber list countries like Thailand:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

And, for good measure, the following link to the RTE London website sets out the current requirements (valid until the end of September) for returning to Thailand from the UK:-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Edited by OJAS

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

You will already need to quarantine under the existing rules covering amber list countries like Thailand:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

And, for good measure, the following link to the RTE London website sets out the current requirements (valid until the end of September) for returning to Thailand from the UK:-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

As it stands, my understanding is that I would have to self-isolate (at home), not hotel quarantine (on arrival in the UK).

Thanks for the other link.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CFCjeff said:

If you wait to get your non o at immigation on your return, would there be any problem with the airline in that you dont have a return ticket ? 

If you enter visa exempt you would need a ticket out of the country within 45 days (30 days if reduced from 45 days). It can be a one way ticket to anywhere or a temporary onward ticket that you can get online for a very low cost.

• Like 1

If I applied for Non-O Visa at the London Embassy, I would need to have the foresight to bring the required physical documents required back to the UK with me, wouldn't I? (can't remember off hand what they were but I recall there were a few from last time).

Can I get multiple-entry Non-O at London?

21 minutes ago, Roger That said:

If I applied for Non-O Visa at the London Embassy, I would need to have the foresight to bring the required physical documents required back to the UK with me, wouldn't I? (can't remember off hand what they were but I recall there were a few from last time).

You only need copies of the required documents that you upload to apply for the visa online.

Have a look near the end of this page for info. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

22 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Can I get multiple-entry Non-O at London?

You can only get a single entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, ubonjoe said:

I assume you have a extension of stay based upon marriage (is not a visa).

You could get a single entry non-o visa from the embassy in London or enter visa exempt and then apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration.

The non-o visa application requires about all the same supporting documents as the extension and you have to make 2 trips to immigration to get it.

If it was me I would probably apply for the non-o visa at the embassy.

I’ve been revisiting this. Why do you assume what I have isn’t a visa? Not challenging you, just trying to have a better understanding. 

I last renewed in September last year at Chaengwattana. Since then I have had to do the 90 day reporting etc.

in my passport I have a re-entry permit (multiple entry) which expires in September. It mentions the category as Non-Imm. I also have various stamps mentioning Thai wife which I think are from the 90 day reporting. One of them has a date in September this year too.

In my head what I have is a non-immigrant type O visa - is this not the case and does it change my original predicament?

Thanks

It's not a visa even if it is called such, but an extension of the original visa year by year on grounds of retirement or marriage giving you permission to stay for another year. If you are abroad when the extension runs out you have to start all over again with a new non imm o etc. My non imm O visa ran out in 2006, I no longer have a visa I have an extension.

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

It's not a visa even if it is called such, but an extension of the original visa year by year on grounds of retirement or marriage giving you permission to stay for another year. If you are abroad when the extension runs out you have to start all over again with a new non imm o etc. My non imm O visa ran out in 2006, I no longer have a visa I have an extension.

Thanks, that helps.

5 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

With this being the case, if I returned to BKK on a visa exemption, would I have to leave the country again to apply for the fresh non-imm O visa or can I apply while in-country?

Wait, when you have the 1-year extension do you need do anything when coming and going from Thailand? I thought it was like the non-imm O multiple entry in so far as you could come and go as you please, but of course with the benefit of being able to stay in Thailand if wishing to and doing the 90-day reporting.

I'm currently waiting for some docs from my wife and then plan to apply for single entry non-imm O at London, open a bank account once back in Thailand to deposit the 400k into, then apply for a 1-year extension. I always liked the multi-entries forcing me to get out and about a bit more, but I guess now's the time to go for the 1-year extension.

Also wondering if anyone has used the Halo saliva RT-PCR tests for flying out to Thailand. I've looked on the Thai Airways site and the Thai Embassy London site and in theory Halo fits the bill since both just say it must be 'RT-PCR', embassy says some airlines don't accept home kits, and TA doesn't specify this.

I'm really stressed out with all this stuff tbh. I left in March 2020, weighing up a bunch of things and thinking it was the way to go, and I miss my wife and dogs!

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You will need special covid insurance to return here?

It doesn't have to be special insurance as far as I know. Any insurance that explicitly covers COVID to at least $100,000 might be OK, as long as the certificate and conditions are clear. Someone else more knowledgeable than me can confirm. I know someone who entered last year from the UK with a standard Staysure travel insurance policy that was accepted. Travel Insurance policies are continually changing though, so you need to be very sure what you are buying.

Edited by Tuvoc

Just now, Tuvoc said:

It doesn't have to be special insurance as far as I know. Any insurance that explicitly covers COVID to at least $100,000 might be OK, as long as the certificate and conditions are clear. Someone else more knowledgeable than me can confirm. I know someone who entered last year from the UK with a standard Staysure travel insurance policy that was accepted.

OK.. Covid insurance  is cheap. it might be better to get  it here before you leave. The big issue is if the UK redesignates  Thailand  as red thus requiring  hotel quarantine  in UK plus tests..The other issue is your leaving test here creating a false  positive..You will have to stay  here for days and loose your bookings. I wish to do what  you do but thought our our 'visa extension ' did not allow  us reentry automatically.

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

... thought our our 'visa extension ' did not allow  us reentry automatically.

It doesn't; but ...

On 7/5/2021 at 4:04 PM, DrJack54 said:

Buy a multi reentry permit. 3800baht.

Single 1000baht

either at immigration or at the airport on the way out (note, obligatory paperwork and photos required).

37 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

OK.. Covid insurance  is cheap. it might be better to get  it here before you leave

Last year I played it safe and got a policy from a Thai broker (bought in in the UK before I left for Thailand):

Covid Insurance for foreigners and Thais entering Thailand | 100,000 USD Insurance for entering Thailand with Covid-19 Cover | Mister Prakan

It was accepted for the COE without any questions. The certificate of cover said in bold letters "includes COVID 19" so it was a safe bet.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1

Beware of relying on the London embassy for any speed communication answering the phone it took 15 days to get a new o visa blowing my sandpit out of the water now COE 5 working days to get pre approval then another 3-5 to get the fabled code I'm losing the will to carry on, along with a massive up front wedge 

Thinking Sam.png

3 hours ago, fauxie said:

Wait, when you have the 1-year extension do you need do anything when coming and going from Thailand? I thought it was like the non-imm O multiple entry in so far as you could come and go as you please, but of course with the benefit of being able to stay in Thailand if wishing to and doing the 90-day reporting

With an extension of your permission to stay (not a visa) you must get a re-entry permit in order to keep your permission to stay unaffected when leaving and returning to Thailand. If leaving by air, you can do this at the airport just prior to departure. With no re-entry permit before leaving, your permission to stay is dead, and you must start again with a new visa or a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Beware of relying on the London embassy for any speed communication answering the phone it took 15 days to get a new o visa blowing my sandpit out of the water now COE 5 working days to get pre approval then another 3-5 to get the fabled code I'm losing the will to carry on, along with a massive up front wedge 

Thinking Sam.png

I concur  but am not surprised.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

With an extension of your permission to stay (not a visa) you must get a re-entry permit in order to keep your permission to stay unaffected when leaving and returning to Thailand. If leaving by air, you can do this at the airport just prior to departure. With no re-entry permit before leaving, your permission to stay is dead, and you must start again with a new visa or a visa exempt entry.

I always buy I multi when I extend so that is not an issue. Under normal circumstances I leave Thailand  every Songkran and keep an eye open  for other travel opportunities.  However,  this trip would just be a UK two week trip for a rapid vaccine  turn around. But even reduced to this simple framework  it seems fraught. Basically once I am in the  UK and ready to return here how do I get out? I think expensive adaptable  business class tickets would be  useful. Being prepared  to  enter via a European  stop over that does not or will not classify Thailand  as red is useful to avoid hotel quarantine  in UK...

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I always buy I multi when I extend so that is not an issue. Under normal circumstances I leave Thailand  every Songkran and keep an eye open  for other travel opportunities.  However,  this trip would just be a UK two week trip for a rapid vaccine  turn around. But even reduced to this simple framework  it seems fraught. Basically once I am in the  UK and ready to return here how do I get out? I think expensive adaptable  business class tickets would be  useful. Being prepared  to  enter via a European  stop over that does not or will not classify Thailand  as red is useful to avoid hotel quarantine  in UK...

How are you planning on getting vaccinated in the UK in 2 weeks?

Also, if Thailand goes to red then you'd have to stop over in a non-red country for 10 days in order to avoid hotel quarantine.

1 hour ago, Roger That said:

How are you planning on getting vaccinated in the UK in 2 weeks?

He can certainly get the first jab straight-away at a walk-in centre, but at the moment it is 8 weeks until the second. There are some reports of people getting the second one within 4 weeks from certain vaccination centres, but that is against policy currently. The politicians have been wanting to make the gap officially 4 weeks but the medical advice is that the shorter interval gives less immunity.