Thailand reports record high of 75 Covid-19 deaths, 7,058 new cases

webfact

Thought-provoking article in today's BP by Chartchai Parasuk ('Time to accept we can't beat Covid-19'), which I guess cannot be linked to, or quoted here.  Maybe someone more computer literate than me can find a way of posting it here, without breaking the rules.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I do. Now before you scream, hear me out.

Government is not one person. It's a group of them, with 100s of advisors. Removing one person is not going to all of a sudden change direction of the country.

The other part is that Thailand has gone seriously down the drain from anything between not very clever to outright id!otic decisions made in the recent months (and to a point, years). This means that salvaging the situation now by anyone will not be an easy task. In fact, he or she might not be able to do pretty much anything to turn the tide.

You also don't know what financial situation Thailand is in. My guess is: not very good one. A job of politician is not only on health but also economy. Hence whoever replaced him might be stuck in the same sticky situation current government is in.

Imagine yourself being assigned to get Thai Airways back into profitability. Yes, you can't just say what's obvious - that the past mistakes made this mission impossible - and do what's possible. But certainly this is not going to be an easy, rather probably impossible task.

Hence in summary - the time to hand the wheel has long passed and should not only cover one person. Whoever takes over now will find it hard to show any progress for a long time. In the meantime, things are only going to get worse, no matter who is in charge.

Cut off the head off the snake and see how many other heads will roll. As I have stated many times he was the one who said he would take full responsibility and he was the one who said some risks are necessary. We are where we are because of him. Sorry but the buck stops at the top. He is basically a dead man walking. My fear is he will put the uniform back on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Cut off the head off the snake and see how many other heads will roll. As I have stated many times he was the one who said he would take full responsibility and he was the one who said some risks are necessary. We are where we are because of him. Sorry but the buck stops at the top. He is basically a dead man walking. My fear is he will put the uniform back on.

I agree. The buck stops at the top. And I stand by what I wrote before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thought-provoking article in today's BP by Chartchai Parasuk ('Time to accept we can't beat Covid-19'), which I guess cannot be linked to, or quoted here.  Maybe someone more computer literate than me can find a way of posting it here, without breaking the rules.

There is no way you can post a BP article other than quoting similar wording in that report with no link of course.

Most BP reports are usually picked up by other news media such as 'Thaiger' and ThaiPBS.

• Like 1

Just now, anchadian said:

There is no way you can post a BP article other than quoting similar wording in that report with no link of course.

Most BP reports are usually picked up by other news media such as 'Thaiger' and ThaiPBS.

Just do a search using the headline and add Bangkok Post.

13 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I do. Now before you scream, hear me out.

Government is not one person. It's a group of them, with 100s of advisors. Removing one person is not going to all of a sudden change direction of the country.

The other part is that Thailand has gone seriously down the drain from anything between not very clever to outright id!otic decisions made in the recent months (and to a point, years). This means that salvaging the situation now by anyone will not be an easy task. In fact, he or she might not be able to do pretty much anything to turn the tide.

You also don't know what financial situation Thailand is in. My guess is: not very good one. A job of politician is not only on health but also economy. Hence whoever replaced him might be stuck in the same sticky situation current government is in.

Imagine yourself being assigned to get Thai Airways back into profitability. Yes, you can't just say what's obvious - that the past mistakes made this mission impossible - and do what's possible. But certainly this is not going to be an easy, rather probably impossible task.

Hence in summary - the time to hand the wheel has long passed and should not only cover one person. Whoever takes over now will find it hard to show any progress for a long time. In the meantime, things are only going to get worse, no matter who is in charge.

There are 250 Generals in the upper house so there is no way you can call those ruining this country a Government.Apart from that most of what you said makes sense.

• Like 2

After the govt seemingly hails success for the #PhuketSandbox, now Surat Thani province will trial #SamuiPlus. Similar idea, but vaccinated arrivals must stay in the hotel for the first 3 days and after that can only travel on designated routes and tours.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1412990194836414466

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

After the govt seemingly hails success for the #PhuketSandbox, now Surat Thani province will trial #SamuiPlus. Similar idea, but vaccinated arrivals must stay in the hotel for the first 3 days and after that can only travel on designated routes and tours.

Not if it was free.  Heck, not even if they paid me for it. 

No.  

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The idiocy never stops here. Must be genetic.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

I must admit that I fear for Thailand.

Your phrase “out of ammunition” rings true to me. A light lockdown that didn’t address the problem, has left people tired of lockdowns per se, and the virus spread now is such that only a severe countrywide lockdown until case numbers fall, would make an appreciable difference. There’s little appetite for that in government, or I sense, among the population.

people want vaccines and want them now. But being realistic, that won’t be the case.

Looking at the current vaccine program, there is 5 million AZ promised per month. More sinovac is on the way in appreciable amounts, but the problem is that even the government recognizes 2 doses of sinovac really needs an mRNA booster shot. So maybe the sinovac helps a bit in the short term, but it’s not great.

Appreciable amounts of mRNA vaccines have no timeline for delivery (if they have even been ordered yet) but at best is likely to be December, and even then the amounts quoted aren’t enough to cover a decent percentage of the population.

what does this mean?

It seems to me that we have 6 months of things getting worse before they get better and there is little that the government can do to shorten that 6 month period. Action was needed before and it wasn’t taken, now there is a price to pay.

Thailands only likely savior would be by way of donated mRNA vaccines that can arrive much sooner than December. Other than that, I see no feasible route to shorten a dark period of more and more Covid cases and deaths.

sorry to be pessimistic, but it’s just the way I see it now.

I agree.  I think another 'lockdown light' might be accepted and is probably inevitable, but I think they realise a severe lockdown would not be accepted, or be workable.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The idiocy never stops here. Must be genetic.

Lets just add more fuel to the fire we already started, we need to burn down thw hole country and flee why we can said _________ (insert name).

22 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Unfounded rumours circulating among my Thai friends and employees that Thaksin is coming back to assist with the vaccine efforts.

Wouldn't it be amusing if he just rocked up with a few million Pfizer or Moderna and donated them to the Thai people?

Certainly one way to make himself even more popular among the masses, and hasten the departure of this current regime.

The man actually offered to negotiate with Vaccine suppliers on behalf of the Government and the Thai people several weeks ago , but was dissed bythe Government.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

PM

@prayutofficial

will reportedly consider more restrictions “similar to last year’s hard lockdown” that *could* include movement restrictions and a curfew amidst ever escalating #COVID19 infections in Friday’s

@oc_ccsa meeting.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1412999257343156224

UPDATE:

@thaimoph

is proposing movement restrictions, shelter-at-home and closing “non-essential” businesses to curb the escalating #COVID19 situation. The

@oc_ccsa , chaired by a quarantined-at-home PM

@prayutofficial , will make the final call as early as tomorrow

Unfortunately as the saying goes "A day late and a dollar short"

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Nakhon Ratchasima locks down entire village after Covid-positive woman hosts party to celebrate being freed from prison

Nakhon Ratchasima province on Wednesday prohibited all travel to and from Ban Pong Khok village in Serngsang district’s Nonsomboon subdistrict until July 20 after the district chief reported that three persons in a family tested positive for Covid-19, leading to fears of a new cluster with 36 people from 22 households being classified as high risk.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002979

I would be asking why the hell are prison authorities are releasing Covid 19 positive people back into the community???

Obviously they are only testing a select few prisoners and then releasing them to spread to the whole community!

• Like 1