Thailand reports record high of 75 Covid-19 deaths, 7,058 new cases

webfact

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As the MoPH chart below clearly shows, there was a definite uptick in COVID cases from mid April toward the end of that month (for whatever reason), but that then briefly subsided.

Then, the real major growth in cases pretty much began at the beginning of June, both as shown by the red lines below:

2021-07-04f1.jpg.6bea9ae51253f2a6b8ae21c09b9fbced.jpg

With one million+ heading from Bangkok to the provinces for Songkran, we didn't really see much of a spread. It's hard to know if the late April increase was going to happen with or without Songkran travel. 

Anyway, the virus died down in Isaan shortly afterwards and was back at pre-Songkran levels. 

My point is that repeating the Songkran story isn't going to impress any decision maker who has this data. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If this does not get them moving forward with provincial lockdowns and no travel, I do not know what to say.  I feel bad for those who have traveled to the sandbox for a vacation which could have included travel elsewhere in Thailand, but why travel internationally especially to a country where the cases are continuing to stack up daily as well as deaths and the populace is barely even vaccinated.

My heart goes out to the families of those who have lost a loved one, and this government needs to accept full responsibility instead of passing the buck as they have created the fiasco we are now seeing by their poor attempt at handling this, but then so have other countries, yet we are just now entering the dark days.

It's getting to be serious in many other provinces now, it started with small numbers but they are now also ramping up.

But consider the ramifications of locking down the capital, that's a serious lose of face.

It would mean that far from under control they have to admit they are out of control, out of ideas and virtually out of vaccines, apart from the few supplies of Sino-somthing AZ and donations from other countries which are doing little to stop the increase..

46 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Government to tighten restrictions amid record infections, denies “lockdown”

The government will decide this week on extra Covid restriction measures suggested by the Ministry of Health, the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Thursday, as rates of infection and death reached new highs.

“This is not going to be a full lockdown,” said Dr Apisamai Srirangsan, the CCSA’s deputy spokeswoman.

The CCSA will decide on the added measures in hard-hit provinces on Friday, she said. The suggestions cover tighter checkpoints between provinces, more business closures and mandatory working from home.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/29581/government-to-tighten-restrictions-amid-record-infections-denies-lockdown/

They are avoiding using the "lockdown" word like the plague.It's a bit like wearing suits instead of battle fatigues really.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You have got to be joking. People are being shipped out of BKK to adjacient provinces and their hospitals are also stretched to the max. You also must remember that not all hospitals have the neccessary critical care, ICU and staff.

As long as admissions exceed discharges, then, by definition, beds were available in the system. Do you disagree? 

Please don't create a strawman next month claiming I said that beds were available in August or some other crazyness. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They are avoiding using the "lockdown" word like the plague.It's a bit like wearing suits instead of battle fatigues really.

Reportedly, they have to pay support to certain industries if they impose an official lockdown. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Speaking of potentially further spreading the virus outside of the BKK region:

aseannow.com/topic/1223228-covid-patients-scramble-risk-of-spread-to-countryside-as-people-flee-bangkok-looking-for-beds/

Guess the Dman needs to read the article to see BKK is full up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

PM

@prayutofficial

will reportedly consider more restrictions “similar to last year’s hard lockdown” that *could* include movement restrictions and a curfew amidst ever escalating #COVID19 infections in Friday’s

@oc_ccsa meeting.

UPDATE:

@thaimoph

is proposing movement restrictions, shelter-at-home and closing “non-essential” businesses to curb the escalating #COVID19 situation. The

@oc_ccsa , chaired by a quarantined-at-home PM

@prayutofficial , will make the final call as early as tomorrow

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1412999257343156224

BREAKING: The Ministry of Public Health are proposing a “lockdown” similar to the restrictions we had in April 2020. You may be told to #StayHome and only leave for essential reasons such as to buy food, see a doctor or get vaccinated. The CCSA will meet soon to discuss this.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1413002155254980610

We only know that the proposed “lockdown” will be similar to what we had in April last year. Expect closure of non-essential businesses, a nightly curfew and a ban on interprovincial travel. This will most likely be for 2 weeks and in the high risk provinces and their neighbours.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1413004166973116417

2 weeks would do stuff all to help quash the delta variant. They will be back at square one a week later. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

It means that all hospitals at that one area in bangkok are at capacity. If there happens to be a spare bed in Chiangmai and another in pattani, it doesn’t matter, the hospital system is maxed out.

being pedantic and saying the system is not maxed out because we do have a spare bed some where in Thailand, does not help those who are in an area where there are no beds.

the reality is that the system is statistically maxed out. And in areas of high population density, maxed out in terms of no beds.

you see, it’s a health care system operating in a pandemic. the goal is that the healthcare system can cope with the number of potential patients, that maybe presented to it in any area. If the system cannot cope with patient numbers in any given area, then the system is maxed.

You keep counting the number of admissions and discharges each day, leave the details of running a health care system to others.

If new admissions exceed discharges tomorrow, how will you explain where the extra beds came from? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

These are the bodies lining the streets people were asking about for proof of how bad it really was some time ago.Well here they are!Thankfully they are not dead.It's as sad  an indication of just how <deleted> this thing people call a "government" really is and how little they care for others.Is this how a "democratically elected" government should treat it's citizenry?It's absolutely appalling! 

Were these members of the military coup actually elected or did they seize power, with all the mismanagement and empty promises of vaccine availability I am confused as to whether or not any one is running the Country. My heart goes out to all peoples, Thai and Expats who are caught up in this travesty of injustice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well mate you do cheer up my days sometimes. Had you had said as long as discharges exceed admissions I would have agreed. Also if beds weren't a probblem a) why are all the doctors etc saying it is and b) why is everyone scrambling to make more available?

Doctors always make noises about capacity when beds start filling up. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Couldn't fly, no interprovincial buses or trains and more importantly COULD NOT BUY BEER:(

Maybe no public transport but you could definitely still travel freely anywhere in the country (one or two exceptions for a limited time).

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You do know there are thousands waiting for beds daily, most at home or in the new holding centers they have set up because there is nowhere else available right?

If that is true, then, by definition, new admissions tomorrow cannot exceed discharges tomorrow. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

1. Increased bed capacity.

2. One icu patient dies in bangkok. 3 non icu patients get added to a “normal” ward where there were empty normal beds in Chiang rai. One patient gets added to the vacant icu bed in bangkok. one further non icu patient takes his place on a non icu ward.

given the complexity of hospitals, types of hospital beds, status of Covid symptoms etc, there are a myriad of different scenarios that play out everyday underneath those headline numbers that you are fixated on.

Thanks for making my point for me. 

If new admissions exceed discharges tomorrow, there will be explanations. 

I am simply saying when admissions are the same as discharges, then the system is maxxed out. It's not a hard concept. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Maybe no public transport but you could definitely still travel freely anywhere in the country (one or two exceptions for a limited time).

On Monday, April 27, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Awareness (CCSA) announced that the emergency decree and nationwide lockdown, originally scheduled to end on Thursday, April 30, will be extended until Sunday, May 31, amid the ongoing coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. The nightly curfew from 22:00 to 04:00 (local time) will continue, social gatherings will remain prohibited, and inter-provincial travel will remain limited. Only workers from essential services, such as healthcare workers, are exempt from the measures. Those in violation of the curfew may be fined THB 40,000 or jailed for two years. Several provinces, including Bangkok, have closed nonessential businesses until at least April 30. All passengers must also wear face masks on public transport.

However, authorities are making some moves to gradually re-open Thailand's economy. Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) will reopen for domestic flights from Friday, May 1, though international flights will remain restricted. Thai AirAsia and Thai Lion Air will resume also domestic flights on Friday, May 1, after the airlines suspended operations. Thai Lion Air will resume flights for several destinations .........

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/336571/thailand-authorities-extend-nationwide-lockdown-until-may-31-update-30

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Thanks for making my point for me. 

Au contraire my friend, consider the fate of the icu patient awaiting for someone to die so that he could have a bed. Was the hospital at capacity or not?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I can only suggest that you go down to your local hospital in Bangkok and tell the doctors that you encounter there to “stop making noise”, because their hospital isn’t full. See what reaction you get.

I also hope that you don’t become ill with something non Covid and thereby put your “hospitals are never actually full” theory to the test.

Meanwhile, the rest of us have to struggle with the decision of believing you, or believing all the official government reports and media reports. It’s a tough one but I am just about edging toward reality rather than your fantasy 5555

Most hospitals in the Bangkok area are certainly fillled. I am just talking about efforts to squeeze in some more beds, we will see how successful they are tomorrow. 

Edited by Danderman123

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

Au contraire my friend, consider the fate of the icu patient awaiting for someone to die so that he could have a bed. Was the hospital at capacity or not?

Yes. That hospital in your example would be filled. 

I think some poor readers here think I wrote "no hospital is at capacity".