Thailand reports new daily record of 9,276 COVID-19 cases, 72 more deaths

webfact

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Once the Delta variant arrived, everything changed, and the Doom and Gloomers are taking credit for predicting it was coming. 

They must be cocker-hoop so many are about to suffer...............Doom and Gloomers need to be listened to more often.....it is how you avoid disasters like that about to befall Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Again, before the Delta variant arrived, the Doom and Gloomers were looking at flat levels of new cases, and claiming that things were going to get real bad. I asked what they meant by that, and they declined to give specifics. Brian refused to make predictions, but said that 2,000 cases a day would lead to much suffering. 

I happened to remember a poster claiming that 10,000 cases were coming, but was challenged if any Doom and Gloomers ever said that. 

Once the Delta variant arrived, everything changed, and the Doom and Gloomers are taking credit for predicting it was coming. 

You are still denying it but i knew once delta was in Inda that it would come to Thailand. There was no reason for it not too. 

There was no prediction needed it was going to come just like every other new variant that is highly transmissible. Your assuming they based it on the current situation. I explained to you before that is the trap you as a data analist fall into. You forget to take into account future changes. Others did not they might not have specifically mentioned the Delta variant but I have read people talking about it long before it arrived here. You can look back and find it.

19 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Looks like covid is coming home

....to roost with the roosters & chickens the families will be butchering to eat instead of using for sport.....soon to be no more birds or bugs to be found in rural issan......dinner is served, gotta have that ant salad.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

The numbers have probably been massaged, and they've done it before in these situations. There's a big meeting of the CCSA today to decide on (unpopular with many, but popular with others) measures like the inter-provincial travel ban and closure of non-essential shops. The decision's already been made by you-know-who, so to make it more difficult to argue against the new restrictions they bump up the daily numbers. You know how it will go at the press conference later today:

CCSA spokesman: We regret that we must introduce more restrictions on your lives.

Some members of the public: Booo! That's terrible, How dare  you?

CCSA spokesman: But you saw that we had almost 10,000 new cases today, what else can we do?

Some members of the public: I guess he does have a point there....

So we can expect a big drop in reported case numbers from tomorrow that show the measures are working?

• Haha 1

I like Thailand and the people and hope they will come out of this for the good.I am not  health expert by no means but as we experienced in Canada a complete lock down for a couple of months is the only way to tackle the virus with only the necessary grocery stores open and masking and social distancing and strict gathering numbers imposed.Then test and high vaccination rates.Good luck to all and hope tourism will return soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Please, list the other countries that would disagree with my statement that Sinovac is very effective in lowering hospitalizatons and death in the case of Alpha. In fact, virtually every country that has reported on Sinovac's performance against the every variant on which studies have been made, shows that it is very effective against hospitalization and death. Stop spreading falsehoods.

Here you go, and you welcome

Indonesia

Uruguay

Costa Rica

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/17/chinas-sinovac-vaccine-under-scrutiny-as-covid-soars-in-highly-vaccinated-countries/?sh=204f8c5a1444

Last Friday, a major Hong Kong study also found that recipients of the Sinovac jab produced significantly lower levels of antibodies than those who were administered with Pfizer, at a 50.7 per cent efficacy rate in comparison to Pfizer’s 95 per cent mark.https://www.thaienquirer.com/28831/delta-variants-danger-and-new-studies-raises-questions-about-thai-vaccine-program/

PS, Which studies? Sinovac has not released any data and not commenting

Edited by BestB

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You are still denying it but i knew once delta was in Inda that it would come to Thailand. There was no reason for it not too. 

There was no prediction needed it was going to come just like every other new variant that is highly transmissible. Your assuming they based it on the current situation. I explained to you before that is the trap you as a data analist fall into. You forget to take into account future changes. Others did not they might not have specifically mentioned the Delta variant but I have read people talking about it long before it arrived here. You can look back and find it.

The only data I am discussing relates to near term future cases, just a few days. 

I don't claim to know anything about the path of the epidemic next week or next month. 

I am just talking about a tiny bit of data, but for some reason, it triggers some people. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

does that mena the government now has to pay out to companies ? or is it every man for himself.

I live in BKK not so happy about a curfew though. Not for me but for the GF no more evenings alone for me 55555

I dont go out much anyway.

It means government is broke and Prayut thinks his 250 000 baht per month salary will somehow help.

It also means government will make a promise to help and pay but as history shown will not or if lucky will pay 1/3 of minimum wage to 1/3 of registered work force

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

14 days will do nothing. Right now there are people infected who don't know it and are infecting others. 14 days will not break the cycle. There are just to many infected people. 

Of course it won't.    Saying 2 weeks has turned into standard practice ("circuit breaker klaxon") as to be honest and say the actual amount of lockdown will need to be 4-6 months will cause significant mental distress, especially when there is no plan or any indication or desire to compensate those businesses are affected by this and those employed by those businesses.    It will be 2 weeks, followed by another 2 weeks, followed by just another 4 weeks to get over the line, followed by just another 4 weeks, followed by "we've got this far so let's just do another push" and so on and so on.   Standard covid psychological trickery.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

BREAKING! New semi lockdown in Metro Bangkok proposed to start Saturday, lasting 14 days first. Leaving home only for necessary travel & "curfew" imposed 10pm to 4am. Prayut will forego 3 months of salary to help govt.

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1413349272133672963

His monthly salary is about $3,800, times 3 equals about $11,500 then

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1413360532522823682

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

Of course it won't.    Saying 2 weeks has turned into standard practice ("circuit breaker klaxon") as to be honest and say the actual amount of lockdown will need to be 4-6 months will cause significant mental distress, especially when there is no plan or any indication or desire to compensate those businesses are affected by this and those employed by those businesses.    It will be 2 weeks, followed by another 2 weeks, followed by just another 4 weeks to get over the line, followed by just another 4 weeks, followed by "we've got this far so let's just do another push" and so on and so on.   Standard covid psychological trickery.   

Remember the good old days 3 months ago when bars were closed for 14 days? 

19 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

You are right of course. Without policy intervention through lockdowns or vaccines, the only option left is natural immunity.

it’s the least attractive option but appears to be the path the country is on.

I personally think they will get part way through and then realize the enormity of the disaster unfolding and try to switch course. It will be too late and then it will be all about the international community rallying round to help with vaccines.

Risk is, at that point all other countries could be busy re-vaccinating their own population due to a new variant and not bother about helping Thailand.

No matter what Thailand is heading for a financially meltdown that will take them many years to overcome. All because they wanted to make money, by producing their own vaccines.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

Remember the good old days 3 months ago when bars were closed for 14 days? 

Yes I do.   It's brutal to those affected by this.   The poor girl who owns a bar near me is always convinced that she will be allowed to open her bar "next month", and every month is devastated all over again when "next month" never actually comes to pass.    

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

Here you go, and you welcome

Indonesia

Uruguay

Costa Rica

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/17/chinas-sinovac-vaccine-under-scrutiny-as-covid-soars-in-highly-vaccinated-countries/?sh=204f8c5a1444

Last Friday, a major Hong Kong study also found that recipients of the Sinovac jab produced significantly lower levels of antibodies than those who were administered with Pfizer, at a 50.7 per cent efficacy rate in comparison to Pfizer’s 95 per cent mark.https://www.thaienquirer.com/28831/delta-variants-danger-and-new-studies-raises-questions-about-thai-vaccine-program/

PS, Which studies? Sinovac has not released any data and not commenting

The countries you listed all provided real world studies data, except Costa Rica which doesn't use Sinovac. All confirmed the vaccine is highly effective preventing hospitalization and death.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/sinovac-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccines-prove-highly-effective-uruguay-2021-06-08/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-08/china-made-vaccine-found-inferior-to-pfizer-shot-in-chile-study

Covid-19 Hospitalization ICU admission Death
CoronaVac 65.9% 87.5% 90.3% 86.3%
Pfizer-BioNTech 92.6% 95.1% 96.2% 91.0%

This thread is about the covid cases in Thailand today,  no need to inject vaccine merits discussion and smearing here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rabas said:

Actually, this is not correct. Worldometers has a problem where it shows only the last report which can even be zero. To see a more accurate view, you need to select 'yesterday' or 'weekly'. Thailand is now 17th.   If, comparing new cases/1M population. Thailand would be even higher.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

image.png.1a84712b85e0234b29252906a1588457.png

imho cases per million is a better yardstick as absolute cases as big countries will always have more in absolute numbers. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The countries you listed all provided real world studies data, except Costa Rica which doesn't use Sinovac. All confirmed the vaccine is highly effective preventing hospitalization and death.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/sinovac-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccines-prove-highly-effective-uruguay-2021-06-08/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-08/china-made-vaccine-found-inferior-to-pfizer-shot-in-chile-study

Covid-19 Hospitalization ICU admission Death
CoronaVac 65.9% 87.5% 90.3% 86.3%
Pfizer-BioNTech 92.6% 95.1% 96.2% 91.0%

This thread is about the covid cases in Thailand today,  no need to inject vaccine merits discussion and smearing here.

Really, 51% is highly effective? while both vaccines have been granted emergency authorization by the World Health Organization, Sinovac’s 51% efficacy only just exceeds the WHO’s 50% efficacy threshold for Covid-19 vaccines and a lack of public clinical data to back up manufacturers’ often inconsistent claims hampers public acceptance of the vaccine. 

All confirmed it? really? Uruguay, in the first release of real world data on Sinovac’s efficacy Tuesday, said the vaccine was over 90% effective at preventing ICU admissions and deaths, as well as 61% effective at preventing infections. Despite having vaccinated more people than almost any other country (it has given over 60% of its population at least one shot, higher than the U.S.), Uruguay is dealing with one of the highest Covid-19 death rates in the world.

So this must be false then? With no data available, the effectiveness of Sinovac against new Covid-19 variants is unknown. What is known of other vaccines against the Delta variant is a marked drop in protection with only one dose and a more limited drop once fully immunized. Even a small drop in efficacy would take Sinovac’s shot below the WHO threshold. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks - you beat me to pointing out the glaring discrepancy in that post.    I have not figured out how to get worldometers to give new cases/1M population, so I did a quick hand calculation from yesterday ... albeith I only went part way down the list, so likely there are still more countries (than those I listed) with more cases per 1-million than Thailand.  I think we agree, that we are saddened to see Thailand's totals and we would like to see immediate action to address the situation in Thailand .... however its better to post accurate information. 

This is my hand calculation (it may have some errors) from 1 day ago, where I have  " Country (population) #-new-cases = #-new cases/million:

Tunesia (11,944,258) 8,315 = 696/million
UK (68,248,738) 32,551 = 477/million
South Africa (60,067,997) 22,910 = 381/million
Spain (46,773,217) 17,317 = 370/million
Costa Rica (5,141,392) 1,847 = 359/million
Cuba (11,319,575) 3,819 = 337/million
Portugal (10,166,418) 3,269 = 321/million
Netherlands (17,173,461) 5,431 = 316/million
Iran (85,084,543) 23,391= 275/million
Malaysia (32,787,057) 8,868 = 270/million
Colombia (51,433,858) 13,275 = 258/million
Brazil (214,095,684) 53,749 = 251/million
Iraq (41,136,639) 9,189 = 223/million
Greece (10,371,165) 2,061 = 198/million
Belgium (11,640,937) 1,990 = 171/million
Russia (145,998,175) 24,818 = 170/million
Zimbabwe (15,082,514) 2,156 = 143/million
Indonesia (276,462,011) 38,391 = 139/million
Thailand (69,978,234) 7,058 = 100.86/million

Again, there may be more countries with higher new cases/million than Thailand (yesterday) as I did not go through the entire country list.  And I note today that Thailand has a couple of thousand more cases, so the above will clearly change, as this is all very dynamic.

This global pandemic is quite devastating.

some German authority said that cases per million is not relevant, people should start looking at the amount of cases that are hosptialised per day, remember someone who has been vaccinated might have a positive test, but will not become seriously ill.

• Like 1

Just now, James105 said:

Yes I do.   It's brutal to those affected by this.   The poor girl who owns a bar near me is always convinced that she will be allowed to open her bar "next month", and every month is devastated all over again when "next month" never actually comes to pass.    

That's the proof that all those decisions do work, have no effect whatsoever on the virus.

Doing always the same thing while expecting for a different outcome, is one the definition of madness. ????

The truth is : the virus will die off, at one point (chart with a bell shape). Like it does everywhere else.

58 minutes ago, anchadian said:

[Breaking] The government has announced new lockdown measures. - work from home - no unnecessary travelling except to buy food and healthcare, - asked not to leave the house between 10 pm and 4 am, - shopping malls closed but supermarkets and markets open

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1413349259294822403

The lockdown will begin tomorrow and last for 14 days.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1413350833270312960

Proposed measures for metro Bangkok just announced: Work from home 100 percent. Malls/non essential closed. Stay home from 10PM to 4AM (not a hard curfew however). Stay home except if needed like going for essential food, hospital, vaccinated. Full details soon.

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1413350567393464324

Are these measures country wide or Bangkok Metro only?

Edited by gearbox

26 minutes ago, rabas said:

Actually, this is not correct. Worldometers has a problem where it shows only the last report which can even be zero. To see a more accurate view, you need to select 'yesterday' or 'weekly'. Thailand is now 17th.   If, comparing new cases/1M population. Thailand would be even higher.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

image.png.1a84712b85e0234b29252906a1588457.png

Meanwhile, in other metrics, Thailand is third from the bottom out of 120 nations.

rubbish.jpg.a40268db2b38512990751fe0ae6147b0.jpg

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/Nikkei-COVID-19-Recovery-Index

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

some German authority said that cases per million is not relevant, people should start looking at the amount of cases that are hosptialised per day, remember someone who has been vaccinated might have a positive test, but will not become seriously ill.

I won't disagree with that assessment, but I will say I think if we had that data, we would also be posting that.   

We do the best we can with the data we have.    I think in this case, the data we do have, is better than no data - as wrong information has been posted (such as someone on this thread posting Thailand #2 in # of cases world wide).

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1