Thailand reports new daily record of COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

We simply have scant information to reach any sort of conclusion regarding sinovac and Thai medics.  It could just as easily be a very favorable set of figures.

But I would say that if people don't want the Sinovac vaccine because they perceive it to be ineffective, and the AZ vaccine because it is regarded as unsafe, then Thailand has a very big problem indeed.  

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

In 2019 Thailand only had around 4,500 nurses, what that figure is now? So considering it won't be all of them that have high risk contact on wards thats a pretty high number of infected nurses and RIP to those 7 that have died, unfortunately more to come

I think you may have interpreted it incorrectly. I believe it means 4.45 nurses per thousand population. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swimfan said:

Very damming report on the situation in Thailand tonight on SBS News in Australia. Senior Doctor stating 2 doctors had died after being in ICU despite being fully vaccinated with Sinovac vaccine. Interviews with members of the public saying they were afraid and did not want the Sinovac vaccine and want the administration to purchase other vaccines. 
They indicated it would likely take till the middle of next year to vaccinate the whole country. 
It would be an understatement to say there are challenging times ahead for the people of Thailand. 

I just watched this report, the senior doctor Boon Varnasin of Thonburi Group said verbatim "here five medical staff were infected with COVID-19 and two were admitted to the ICU."

He did not state two doctors died!

The report is on the SBS website (though VPN is required from outside Oz)

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

We simply have scant information to reach any sort of conclusion regarding sinovac and Thai medics.  It could just as easily be a very favorable set of figures.

But I would say that if people don't want the Sinovac vaccine because they perceive it to be ineffective, and the AZ vaccine because it is regarded as unsafe, then Thailand has a very big problem indeed.  

I have nothing to back this up but, according to my Thai wife, in addition to the perception that Sinovac is ineffective it is also regarded as unsafe.

40 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Depends which nurses the link i gave is for tech nurses and yours includes Nurses and midwives include professional nurses, professional midwives, auxiliary nurses, auxiliary midwives, enrolled nurses, enrolled midwives and other associated personnel, such as dental nurses and primary care nurses.

Edited by Bkk Brian

31 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

I think you may have interpreted it incorrectly. I believe it means 4.45 nurses per thousand population. 

Not sure this is what is says:

In 2019, the total number of technical nurses in Thailand amounted to approximately 4.45 thousand, indicating a decrease from the previous year. In that year, the highest number of technical nurses in the country were under the administration of independent organizations.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/995700/thailand-total-number-technical-nurses/

19 minutes ago, riparian said:

I have nothing to back this up but, according to my Thai wife, in addition to the perception that Sinovac is ineffective it is also regarded as unsafe.

MADE IN CHINA ......    what do you expect 

I believe the mayor of Pattaya needs to do a bit of catching up:

He stated:

'Foreigners over 60 and with certain health conditions, however, can register through ThailandIntervac, however, results may vary based on supply and times for registration and it will require a trip to Bangkok'

Pattaya’s famous nightlife now closed for three months with no end in sight, Covid-19 vaccination program still moving very slowly concerning business owners and residents

The elderly, people with vulnerable medical conditions, and market workers in Pattaya were vaccinated against Covid-19 last week after 1,600 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine was delivered…but as the program still moves on at a leisurely pace, to say the least, residents and business owners concern is growing.

On Thursday, July 8th last week the elderly, people with vulnerable medical conditions, and people in high-risk clusters from local markets were vaccinated with the Astrazeneca vaccine was a total of 1,621 doses at the Pattaya City Hospital. The majority of those vaccinated had previously registered to be part of the vaccine program in Pattaya, although the market workers were expedited due to being part of a high-risk sector.

The Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume personally inspected the vaccination program at Pattaya City Hospital.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/11/pattayas-famous-nightlife-now-closed-for-three-months-with-no-end-in-sight-covid-19-vaccination-program-still-moving-very-slowly-concerning-business-owners-and-residents/

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The CCP and WHO let the virus spread. China makes vaccines. Vaccine diplomacy is initiated. Thailand buys millions of doses from the CCP. Vaccine shown to be useless. The world is run by morons.

no .... China is just telling lies to everyone ....  thats all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I believe the mayor of Pattaya needs to do a bit of catching up:

He stated:

'Foreigners over 60 and with certain health conditions, however, can register through ThailandIntervac, however, results may vary based on supply and times for registration and it will require a trip to Bangkok'

Pattaya’s famous nightlife now closed for three months with no end in sight, Covid-19 vaccination program still moving very slowly concerning business owners and residents

The elderly, people with vulnerable medical conditions, and market workers in Pattaya were vaccinated against Covid-19 last week after 1,600 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine was delivered…but as the program still moves on at a leisurely pace, to say the least, residents and business owners concern is growing.

On Thursday, July 8th last week the elderly, people with vulnerable medical conditions, and people in high-risk clusters from local markets were vaccinated with the Astrazeneca vaccine was a total of 1,621 doses at the Pattaya City Hospital. The majority of those vaccinated had previously registered to be part of the vaccine program in Pattaya, although the market workers were expedited due to being part of a high-risk sector.

The Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume personally inspected the vaccination program at Pattaya City Hospital.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/11/pattayas-famous-nightlife-now-closed-for-three-months-with-no-end-in-sight-covid-19-vaccination-program-still-moving-very-slowly-concerning-business-owners-and-residents/

Now I know what PPE stands for... Pi$$ Poor Effort.

20 minutes ago, steven100 said:

agree .... Pfizer or Moderna seems to be the safest and most effective way to go.

Yes the common misconception I was talking about.

What's more- hypothetical really, since they aren't available yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes the common misconception I was talking about.

What's more- hypothetical really, since they aren't available yet.

not a misconception at all .....  I'll wait for the Pfizer jab.  You take the Sinovac .....  

The cumulative effects of all the vaccine missteps are starting to look catastrophic now that the news is out re the medics infected and getting sick after getting Sinovac. They seem to have painted themselve into a corner.  Giving a booster to 700k medics out of the 1.5m Pfizer the US is donating looks a viable solution to that issue but what about the other 6m million who have received Sinovac and and another 10 million or so they are planning to give Sinovac to?  They are surely going to want boosters too and many may refuse Sinovac completely now.  With a shortfall of 5m AZ a month likely, they can't give them that wihout delaying the rollout by months.  They could use the 20m Pfizer expected in 4Q but that was supposedly earmarked for kids. 

So what can they do?  This could get ugly.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

not a misconception at all .....  I'll wait for the Pfizer jab.  You take the Sinovac .....  

I'll be having the AZ hopefully.

But actually am quite happy about the Sinovac.

I'd wait if Pfizer was significantly better than AZ, but it isn't!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 381 new cases and five more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (144), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (42), and Si Racha (73). The total cases so far is now 11,632 with 4,009 remaining in care #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1414008592554872832

Good luck trying to find lottery tickets with any of these numbers left

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not sure this is what is says:

In 2019, the total number of technical nurses in Thailand amounted to approximately 4.45 thousand, indicating a decrease from the previous year. In that year, the highest number of technical nurses in the country were under the administration of independent organizations.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/995700/thailand-total-number-technical-nurses/

I think the clue to the number of medical staff in Thailand maybe that the MOPH says 97% of staff have been vaccinated and that about 677,000 have been vaccinated. So maybe the staff count is about 700k?

might be some variables in that because maybe all aren’t doctors and nurses. It might include admin staff for instance.

I don’t actually know, just trawling through what I have read.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-medical-workers-covid-19-sinovac-vaccinations-15199394

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

In Chiang Rai Province there is no vaccine. The Mae Fah Luang Hospital has given me an appointment on August 23. This assumes that they will have vaccine then. Unless Thailand stops shipping the vaccine to neighbor countries thee will never be enough for the local residents. Why the government wants to ship it out is beyond me. I Chiang Rai Province there is not one dose of the vaccine available. The 1.5 million doses provided by the USA will never get past Bangkok. The USA gift specified that 20% must go to foreigners.

10 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

In Chiang Rai Province there is no vaccine. The Mae Fah Luang Hospital has given me an appointment on August 23. This assumes that they will have vaccine then. Unless Thailand stops shipping the vaccine to neighbor countries thee will never be enough for the local residents. Why the government wants to ship it out is beyond me. I Chiang Rai Province there is not one dose of the vaccine available. The 1.5 million doses provided by the USA will never get past Bangkok. The USA gift specified that 20% must go to foreigners.

10 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

Siam bioscience is forced to export approx two thirds of its vaccine production to other countries by virtue of the contract it signed with AZ. So it has no choice, that was the deal they signed up to. 

that is what I understand anyway.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I think the clue to the number of medical staff in Thailand maybe that the MOPH says 97% of staff have been vaccinated and that about 677,000 have been vaccinated. So maybe the staff count is about 700k?

might be some variables in that because maybe all aren’t doctors and nurses. It might include admin staff for instance.

I don’t actually know, just trawling through what I have read.

Yea probably about right, having returned to look at a couple of links it seems that for actual nurses then it is around 4.5 per 1000 population. With a population of about 70 million that would make around 315,000 nurses of all grades and types.

In one link it says 600 medical workers in another it says 600 nurses infected.

Regardless to get a statistical comparison we would need to know further details so we can't really speculate on comparisons without that, ie where were they all working, was it all nurses or all medical workers, we would also need to know how many of their actual workmates remained negative etc 

Suffice to say its too many and they deserve boosters asap

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

Siam bioscience is forced to export approx two thirds of its vaccine production to other countries by virtue of the contract it signed with AZ. So it has no choice, that was the deal they signed up to. 

that is what I understand anyway.

You are right.  Thailand wanted the local production but was only willing to order 17% of SBS's production initially, imaging that COVId would go away and they wouldn't really need it.  So the deal had to depend on orders from other Asian countries. 

However, there is unlikely to be much downside to Thailand as a sovereign country, if it suspends exports.  It has already been accused of doing that anyway. SBS can declare force majeure for not fulfilling its contract. India has already done this and am I sure Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan which have orders pending would do it too. India's ban meant that AZ was unable to supply Canada with second shots but they were able to get Pfizer and Moderna quickly instead.      

• Thanks 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only way generals can run a country is into the ground. Throw in a pandemic and well we are watching what happens before our eyes.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

They ship AZ vaccines out to other countries because that was in the contract signed between Siam Bioscience and Astrazeneca.