Thailand reports 8,656 new COVID-19 cases, 80 more deaths

webfact

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I look at the numbers and see they were in the low 1k just 3 months ago and deaths were low single figures. It's disgraceful that you should suggest that people on here that seem to have more common sense than you enjoy seeing death and misery here in Thailand.

Not saying that’s the case, just my feeling sometimes when I see some of the posts on here

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Probably an artifact of low processing over the weekend. We’ll know if the positive cases from field testing is much below 2300 cases. If the number of such cases is around 1,000, the number should be much higher tomorrow.

Well, if you mean that it being the weekend is a factor contributing to the low number of cases, just look at previous reports for Sunday and see what you find.

Why does he repeat the same message every day?

Did anyone win the lottery, I mean, was able to register for a vaccine on the Bumrungrad International Hospital website today? The registration limit this morning was reached within only a few minutes. If you weren’t, I hope you have better luck tomorrow. Stay safe! #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1414407494525353986

Just now, placeholder said:

Well, if you mean that it being the weekend is a factor contributing to the low number of cases, just look at previous reports for Sunday and see what you find.

It’s not consistent. Sometimes the big drop is reported on Tuesday or Sunday. And sometimes there isn’t a drop.

But, days with a big drop are usually followed by a big jump the next day, which indicates that the apparent drop was just a backlog of lab tests.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Good news, B.P. reporting today that Frontline medical staff will be given a booster vaccine from AstraZeneca this week, says the Department of Disease Control.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1414401475510345733

not sure how effective that will be 

2 a's =  big A

2 s's = small s

2s's and 1 a = small a and small s

who knows 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Excel said:

Its a Monday, it always falls because not so much testing on Sunday.  Lets see the numbers in the next two days

Added to that they also closed a few testing centers yesterday, the ones where there were photos of 100's of people queuing all day and night have closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

fyi, this morning at 9 am is supposed to be the opening of a new round of COVID vaccination appointment registrations for foreign nationals age 60 and above and those with chronic medical conditions via a website of Phyathai II hospital in Bangkok...

"Phyathai 2 Hospital

Pre-registration: 12-16 July from 09.00-12.00 hours only (via phyathai2international.com)

Vaccination Period: 19-30 July 2021 (except weekends)"

I had trouble accessing the website just now, getting browser security errors, before finally being able to get thru, and seeing the registration notice info still listed there on the hospital's website.

https://phyathai2international.com/

However, I also noticed the now updates-only government Intervac website has an update saying that COVID vaccine registrations at Samitivej Hospital in BKK already have been closed.

"Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital (The hospital has fully booked. The next pre-registration will be open in August)"

https://www.thailandintervac.com/

I was able to get to the home page after quite a few page refreshes, but it seems there is still only the notice for registration availability, with no link to actually register.

44 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

fyi, this morning at 9 am is supposed to be the opening of a new round of COVID vaccination appointment registrations for foreign nationals age 60 and above and those with chronic medical conditions via a website of Phyathai II hospital in Bangkok...

"Phyathai 2 Hospital

Pre-registration: 12-16 July from 09.00-12.00 hours only (via phyathai2international.com)

Vaccination Period: 19-30 July 2021 (except weekends)"

I had trouble accessing the website just now, getting browser security errors, before finally being able to get thru, and seeing the registration notice info still listed there on the hospital's website.

https://phyathai2international.com/

As of 9:25 am today, the Phyathai II website and Google document form for vaccine registrations does appear to still be functioning:

Screenshot_6.jpg.ee0382bcf7e8c44ba2c0d73f3e044b9c.jpg

Screenshot_5.jpg.1c76954b91d2574c6836bdec6e418f6f.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

57 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I watched Bangkok plates over the weekend people going into 7-11, massage shops, restaurants.

Then there is packed Tree Town with not one person wearing a mask.

Not surprising it is rising.

Would you prefer 7-11s, massage shops and restaurants to be closed?  Anyone would think that only people from Bangkok pass on Covid!  And, isn't it possible for someone with an evil Bangkok license plate to also live in Pattaya?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, heyx2rr said:

I was able to get to the home page after quite a few page refreshes, but it seems there is still only the notice for registration availability, with no link to actually register.

OK, was able to get to the form, and after filling it out and submitting it I received this notice indicating that they are no longer accepting applications....

1955348443_ScreenShot2021-07-12at09_29_38.png.3f4f59db5011342ff01f96304623a939.png

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

I look at the raw data and see numbers less than yesterday. Get the feeling on here that some people enjoy seeing the numbers rise.

Hey, if you think a one day drop predicts a decline in cases., just look at the chart provided by bkkbrian on the first page of this thread. It runs from Jun 1.  You'll find lots of good news there.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The direct link to the Google form is:

Edit: This form is now closed.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdKo7L7huPa4mPt2qWDo1IspszwtZ4NqmhYgOMZywx3LbSHRw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Looks like it just closed for today:

Screenshot_7.jpg.e2b2b9985e854f5b83cae2a676828a5b.jpg

Hopefully they'll open as promised again tomorrow starting 9 am...

But at least, today, the site appeared to remain open for nearly a half hour.... which would be a better experience than most.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, heyx2rr said:

OK, was able to get to the form, and after filling it out and submitting it I received this notice indicating that they are no longer accepting applications....

Hopefully, that was just their quota of registrations for today.

Hopefully, they'll reopen again tomorrow morning at 9 am, which is what they've promised to do, and the same daily thru the 16th, Friday.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Its a Monday, it always falls because not so much testing on Sunday.  Lets see the numbers in the next two days

Go back and look at the weekend numbers there has been no discernible pattern of Monday dips and you suggest the testing numbers were down so can you show me the numbers so I and everyone else can see that what you say is correct?If you can show me the numbers that would be great if not your "guess" is as good as mine or Dman's or anybody else.Why do I feel like a mushroom?What will the next few days show without testing numbers?Or did I forget my sarcasm filter this morning?

Edited by FarFlungFalang

1 hour ago, RandolphGB said:

Cases have tended to be higher on Mondays because people are off work at the weekend and go to get tested. 

Ye doom mongerers really are desperate for bad news. 

I dont think bad new these days is ever in short supply..but thanks for thinking of us anyway, and showing concern for us "mongers"

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

No baiting here. Look at the figures

Clearly you haven't looked at the "figures" but rather only 1 figure. Go look at the actual numbers. There are several earlier days of sharp drops. But what do you think the trend is?

The Pattaya News publishes the list of restaurants and shops where someone was known to be infected, usually a worker.

Unfortunately, I hit the jackpot, I was at Shabushi on July 5 when there was an infected worker. I am fully vaccinated with Moderna, but my Thai lady friend was not. Now we have to wait to see what happens.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I noticed the MoPH yesterday publicly noted that Thailand has one of the highest numbers of COVID hospitalized critical condition patients in the world at present, ranked #8, according to the Worldometers website.

This is the Worldometers chart as of today showing those rankings and statistics as of Saturday (giving time for all countries' info to be updated on the Worldometers website). The chart below is ranked based on number of "serious/critical" COVID patients:

Screenshot_2.jpg.a3847bcfb17490604c53caddfc28e5fe.jpg

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

As of that same Saturday data:

--Thailand ranked 13th in the world based on number of new cases reported for the day.

Screenshot_3.jpg.3b35133cd3f4e65c7fc8b84d802dc9ee.jpg

The Worldometers ranking that the MoPH typically reports each day is how Thailand fares versus other countries based on cumulative/total COVID cases since the start of the pandemic, where the country ranked 61st as of yesterday:

Screenshot_4.jpg.dab6185cd9c1bd544b9e8f3c685e6c40.jpg

The trouble with these figures is that they're not adjusted for population. Cases per million would be a more useful way of organizing these numbers

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Numbers have fallen on a single day previously, and subsequently risen again. A single day figure means nothing. When the 7 day rolling average turns down, THEN there may be something to cheer about.

I too think today is likely a "coming off the weekend" case counting/testing aberration. But the days ahead will tell.

Thailand also had a day over day single day decline in cases this past Tuesday July 6, before then rocketing back up to record 9,000+ daily new case levels July 9 to 11... As you said, a single day's results means nothing.

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The drop is not always a Monday, sometimes it’s on Tuesday, sometimes it’s on Sunday. But, it’s always followed by a spike the next day.

I will assume that today’s numbers are driven by a lab processing backlog if announced lab tests today are down around 1,000.

Let’s not belabor the point, we can all wait to see the numbers tomorrow. I think there is a 90% chance of a spike tomorrow IF hospital admissions are not maxed out now.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I too think today is likely a "coming off the weekend" case counting/testing aberration. But the days ahead will tell.

Thailand also had a day over day single day decline in cases this past Tuesday July 6, before then rocketing back up to record 9,000+ daily new case levels July 9 to 11... As you said, a single day's results means nothing.

“Aberration” is a nice way of paraphrasing “artifact”.